Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Draft Grade
A
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
C
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
D
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluker has been great, thought he was a small reach, but he's proving me wrong

Which reminds me to check on my baby Warmack

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Once again. It is not a coincidence that Fluker has played better in the NFL given the fact he did not change posistions. This is now three straight years playing RT. It does matter. He'd be getting abused if switched to a LT. Much in the way Winston Justice was straight out of USC.

Fluker was actually forced to play LT and won Rookie of the Week.
http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Congrats-DJ-Fluker-OT-Named-Rookie-of-Week/79eb4cb3-41a2-4847-9617-ac9e83763be8

For a whole week against the Jags? Holy hell. :shocked: Rolling Eyes Changes nothing for me. I started to say extended period of time but didn't. He's playing well because he is familiar with the posistion and there is less to learn or adapt to on the fly. Not because he is better or the others suck.

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Phire wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Once again. It is not a coincidence that Fluker has played better in the NFL given the fact he did not change posistions. This is now three straight years playing RT. It does matter. He'd be getting abused if switched to a LT. Much in the way Winston Justice was straight out of USC.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Congrats-DJ-Fluker-OT-Named-Rookie-of-Week/79eb4cb3-41a2-4847-9617-ac9e83763be8

For a whole week against the Jags? Holy hell. :shocked: Rolling Eyes Changes nothing for me. I started to say extended period of time but didn't. He's playing well because he is familiar with the posistion and there is less to learn or adapt to on the fly. Not because he is better or the others suck.

Yeah but Fluker doesn't need others to suck to stand out, whether at LT or RT, he's been playing well and is probably the best rookie OT thus far.

That's not an indictment on Lane or the other tackles, it's just the facts.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglesfan10 wrote:
Phire wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I would say he has looked like the best tackle of this class so far.

Lane will be better in the long run. Guy gets better each week and he has best in league physical potential.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Phire wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

Yeah but Fluker doesn't need others to suck to stand out, whether at LT or RT, he's been playing well and is probably the best rookie OT thus far.

That's not an indictment on Lane or the other tackles, it's just the facts.

I'm not arguing against him being the best OT "thus far" just the notion it has nothing to do with him playing the same position he was drafted from in college. The other three were dominate LT picked in the top 5 and all 3 moved to another position RT. A posistion/switch that IMO is not a easy or seemless transfer for most players to make. Especially Rookies. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane has been pretty stout in run blocking, still is struggling a lot with pass protection but a lot of it is mental mistakes. He's shown me enough physical talent to convince me that he was the right pick, can be a special T in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Johnson, Lane OT (B-)
A rookie starting RT is not an easy position in which to be.
He's done OK, not great, but OK.
He gets beat on occasion. It is mostly by veterans.
He'll learn and get better.
He earned his grade on adequacy and potential.

2) Ertz, Zach TE (D-)
Terrible.
He, of all people, should have made an impact.
He's a skill player with a high second round selection.
He may get better, but he is going to have to get a whole lot better just to be average.

3) Logan, Bennie DT (B)
Not a stat monger, but doesn't play a "stat" position.
I've heard his name called when when I wasn't watching.
He could be that versatile lineman you see at every position when needed.
Just a football player.

4) Barkley, Matt QB (C+)
Gets the "+" for having been thrust into difficult spots.
Really, just a "C."
Was once considered a first round(bust)er.
Not so much at where he was drafted.
Could develop into more.
He is a QB after all.

5) Wolff, Earl SS (B)
Already challenging for playing time.
Has made some plays.
Is not great ... yet, may never be.
But, he appears to be every bit as good as what the Eagles have taken earlier.
His ceiling is maybe Quintin Mikell?

7) Kruger, Joe DE (F)
There were just better players.

7) Poyer, Jordan CB (F)
Kelly should have known better.
You can throw a dog a bone, but if you know he's a dog .....

7) King, David DE (F)
Who?

And for all of those who gave some sort of incomplete ... shame on you.
Have some guts.
Have some fortitude.
Have a damn opinion.
Don't be chicken about being wrong in the future because you know I will hold it against you if you disagree with me.
Take a chance on being right and then admit it when I am the one who is right.
Or take the opportunity to lay the pimp hand down on me.
I am not always right.

This was about your opinion, your vision, not an exercise in hedging.
That is what we are supposed to stand against.
Buck up, fellas.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
Have any of the top draft picks been performing up to their standards? Seems like a really weak group to begin with.

Ziggy Ansah has been solid. Haven't heard much from Dion Jordan, but he was a project like lane and is playing in a 4-3.

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably sound like I'm bothered by what I feel are fairly generous ratings for Lane Johnson, but I would like to hear the reasoning behind listing "potential" as one of the reasons for boosting his ratings based on current performance. Seems like a rather arbitrary point when grading his play this year.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Phire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, if Tom Brady started a season with 20 interceptions and 0 touchdowns in the first 4 games, and his performance looks like an F, smells like an F, dates an F, gave birth to twin Fs, styles his hair with F, and plays football at an F grade, you wouldn't bump him up to a D just because he's Tom Brady and potentially he could be playing better.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

ninjapirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
I probably sound like I'm bothered by what I feel are fairly generous ratings for Lane Johnson, but I would like to hear the reasoning behind listing "potential" as one of the reasons for boosting his ratings based on current performance. Seems like a rather arbitrary point when grading his play this year.

he is a rookie tackle in his third year ever at the position and he is holding his own out there.

Why be negative about him?

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
Phire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:

he is a rookie tackle in his third year ever at the position and he is holding his own out there.

I'm sure Lane is going to survive if I'm not fully positive about him Laughing

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual Phire, it seems you are underselling the importance of the running game and Lane Johnson's importance in said game. Lane Johnson is apart of an offensive line that is ranked #1 in rushing (going off total rushing). The Eagles have run like 30% of their plays off of RT with the highest combined "adjusted line yards" according to footballoutsiders (highest combined for the Eagles not necessarily the NFL).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

I don't put a ton of stock into their advanced metrics simply because there are so many things you need to take into account when running the football, but this gives you some idea of the %'s and effectiveness of the carries.

With pass protection, yes, he has struggled at times this season. But even in the gameday thread I see people casting blame on him in situations where Vick, Foles or Barkley could've gotten rid of the football ages before hand or thrown it away, but instead they take a sack. I wish we had numbers to back up the fact the Eagles QBs hold the ball longer than your average NFL QB, because it is just so apparent when you watch them play. Lane Johnson has been far from perfect he has gotten beaten like a drum a few times and I'm sure he'll admit that but he has been a massive asset in the run game. His athleticism lets him get to the second level which is hugely effective for the zone-read runs we love to do.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:

I'm sure Lane is going to survive if I'm not fully positive about him Laughing

I think that when you look at the position it is not one where usually come in and excel immediately.
Remember too, this is a new system for the guys around him.
He's not walking into a set piece.

I think a lot of teams would be glad to have him.
I don't think that thee are three players in the draft I would have selected over him and theoretically there should be.
I am not some crazed, optimistic homer, either.
Phire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
As usual Phire, it seems you are underselling the importance of the running game and Lane Johnson's importance in said game. Lane Johnson is apart of an offensive line that is ranked #1 in rushing (going off total rushing). The Eagles have run like 30% of their plays off of RT with the highest combined "adjusted line yards" according to footballoutsiders (highest combined for the Eagles not necessarily the NFL).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

I don't put a ton of stock into their advanced metrics simply because there are so many things you need to take into account when running the football, but this gives you some idea of the %'s and effectiveness of the carries.

With pass protection, yes, he has struggled at times this season. But even in the gameday thread I see people casting blame on him in situations where Vick, Foles or Barkley could've gotten rid of the football ages before hand or thrown it away, but instead they take a sack. I wish we had numbers to back up the fact the Eagles QBs hold the ball longer than your average NFL QB, because it is just so apparent when you watch them play. Lane Johnson has been far from perfect he has gotten beaten like a drum a few times and I'm sure he'll admit that but he has been a massive asset in the run game. His athleticism lets him get to the second level which is hugely effective for the zone-read runs we love to do.

Generic Eagles offensive statistics are extremely misleading and misrepresentative considering the hyper-inflation of stats we had early on when teams couldn't prepare for us.

With that being said, I'm not saying Lane is playing terribly. I'm just saying he isn't playing great. I can't deny the arguments you make, and we're probably on the same page. Your B is my C.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: