Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Waters headed to IR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1944
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


It has been the weakness of this team for many years. What you said is true they just got unlucky with Waters, but Waters didn't play last year and is currently 36 years old so there was a high risk chance of him getting injured.

At the time of the draft there were concerns on the entire right side of the OL (including Free). All I am saying is why draft another luxury (a 3rd TE) instead of potentially solidifying this OL issue with two young OLmen?


Because they were following their draft board? Something that everyone on this forum has been preaching for a long time


If that was the case why wasn't Floyd drafted at 18, because it doesn't work both ways. Jerry drafted for need in the first when he traded back with the 49ers.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
be WARE94


Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2197
Location: Philadelphia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that we were relying on a 36 year old sitting on his couch should tell you how we've handled the o line ......this sucks
_________________

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3888
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I like the Escobar selection? No. Did I want Warford? Yes. But am I going to write a see I told you so now that Waters is gone for the year and we are in trouble again on the OL? No. Hindsight is 20/20 and criticizing the Cowboys for not picking Warford is rubbing salt in the wounds right now, and it's not going to get me, or anyone else anything positive.

Remember if ifs and buts were cherries and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

And if my Aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle.

Having said that, moving forward let's take quality linemen when they are available. Fills a need and solid line play covers up a lot of sins.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
be WARE94


Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2197
Location: Philadelphia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Northland"]Did I like the Escobar selection? No. Did I want Warford? Yes. But am I going to write a see I told you so now that Waters is gone for the year and we are in trouble again on the OL? No. Hindsight is 20/20 and criticizing the Cowboys for not picking Warford is rubbing salt in the wounds right now, and it's not going to get me, or anyone else anything positive.

Remember if ifs and buts were cherries and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

And if my Aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle.

Having said that, moving forward let's take quality linemen when they are available. Fills a need and solid line play covers up a lot of sins.[/quote]

if we can put together and effective o line/d line we are one of the best teams in the league....and we might have 6-7 wins right now.....we need to start winning in the trenches.... but at this rate by the time we have a sufficient o line/d line our best players will all be past there primes.....i think that's why we are all pissed about taking 3rd tight ends and what not....we aren't a young team.....if we had a young stud qb prospect/pash rusher i wouldn't care....but we don't
_________________

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37316
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
but at this rate by the time we have a sufficient o line/d line our best players will all be past there primes.....i think that's why we are all pissed about taking 3rd tight ends and what not....we aren't a young team.....if we had a young stud qb prospect/pash rusher i wouldn't care....but we don't


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=17062006#17062006


Ages of some of our best players:

Fredrick, Wilcox, Smith - 22
Claiborne - 23
Williams, Bryant, Leary - 24
Carter, Murray, Church - 25
Selvie - 26
Carr, Lee - 27
----------
Ware, Hatcher, Witten - 31
Romo - 33
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6492
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


It has been the weakness of this team for many years. What you said is true they just got unlucky with Waters, but Waters didn't play last year and is currently 36 years old so there was a high risk chance of him getting injured.

At the time of the draft there were concerns on the entire right side of the OL (including Free). All I am saying is why draft another luxury (a 3rd TE) instead of potentially solidifying this OL issue with two young OLmen?


Because they were following their draft board? Something that everyone on this forum has been preaching for a long time


If that was the case why wasn't Floyd drafted at 18, because it doesn't work both ways. Jerry drafted for need in the first when he traded back with the 49ers.


Again, according to their charts, they were winning this trade by a large enough margin that they figured it was worth it. And they got Terrence Williams. Cant complain about that. Well you can, but oh well
_________________


Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
be WARE94


Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2197
Location: Philadelphia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
but at this rate by the time we have a sufficient o line/d line our best players will all be past there primes.....i think that's why we are all pissed about taking 3rd tight ends and what not....we aren't a young team.....if we had a young stud qb prospect/pash rusher i wouldn't care....but we don't


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=17062006#17062006


Ages of some of our best players:

Fredrick, Wilcox, Smith - 22
Claiborne - 23
Williams, Bryant, Leary - 24
Carter, Murray, Church - 25
Selvie - 26
Carr, Lee - 27
----------
Ware(our best pash rusher and future HOF i think he can turn it around but it's looking close to the end), Hatcher(actually he's our best pash rusher right now but he's 31 can we even afford to bring him back?), Witten - 31(another HOF type player but i think he can still be effective for another 3-5 years never was a great athlete after all)
Romo - 33(our best and most important player at the most important position in sports. how many more years you think he has left evading defenders and taking rib crushing hits?)


i see your point my friend my point is the more important guys are getting older so by the time the young guys are coming into there own.....it may be too late.....hope i'm wrong tho....i can see tony playing another 3 years or so at least especially if we can put a good pocket around him and begin to run the ball better....ware if he can stay healthy can still be effective for another 2-3 years as well....but all signs point to him unlikely playing another full nfl season....at least not as an EVERY down guy....i'm all for being patient and building something....but our best players don't have that luxury
_________________

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20405
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


Eight quality starting offensive linemen? I'd settle for three. As of last year, we had a grand total of ONE.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
be WARE94


Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2197
Location: Philadelphia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also hasn't leary been bad? our safeties aren't untouchable either.....i know people like church a lot and see potential in wilcox....but we've given up 400 yards FOUR times ALREADY....i'd say our secondary is anything but set
_________________

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6492
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


Eight quality starting offensive linemen? I'd settle for three. As of last year, we had a grand total of ONE.


Frederick, Smith, and as of right now, Doug Free. There you go.
_________________


Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 9712
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team was in enough trouble as is. This weekly injury/to IR bug has got to let up.
_________________

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20405
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


Eight quality starting offensive linemen? I'd settle for three. As of last year, we had a grand total of ONE.


Frederick, Smith, and as of right now, Doug Free. There you go.


Just wait and see how badly Free falls apart with Burnindeuce back in the lineup. He's not a quality offensive linemen. He's utterly dependent on others to succeed.

So no, we have two. Free needs to prove that he can play well without a RG carrying him.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1944
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


It has been the weakness of this team for many years. What you said is true they just got unlucky with Waters, but Waters didn't play last year and is currently 36 years old so there was a high risk chance of him getting injured.

At the time of the draft there were concerns on the entire right side of the OL (including Free). All I am saying is why draft another luxury (a 3rd TE) instead of potentially solidifying this OL issue with two young OLmen?


Because they were following their draft board? Something that everyone on this forum has been preaching for a long time


If that was the case why wasn't Floyd drafted at 18, because it doesn't work both ways. Jerry drafted for need in the first when he traded back with the 49ers.


Again, according to their charts, they were winning this trade by a large enough margin that they figured it was worth it. And they got Terrence Williams. Cant complain about that. Well you can, but oh well


You said to stick to your board, and if the Cowboys did that they should have picked Floyd at #18, then could have got Fredrick in the 2nd and Williams in the 3rd. So the only person they may have missed on is escobar and Wilcox. Don't care if they think they made out like bandits on the trade its about following your board
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CT Cowboy Fan


Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 881
Location: Connecticut
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which pair do you like better:

RG- Burning deuce (who's name says it all)
RT- Doug Free (who has been playing pretty well this season)

Or

RG- Doug Free (only saw a handful of snaps there)
RT- Jeremy Parnell (NOT a starting caliber OT in this league)

Pick your poison, it ain't gonna be pretty boys
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6492
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Boy, I'm sure glad we invested the resources in the o-line to handle this kind of loss.

Wait......


Because drafting an offensive lineman isn't investing resources in the o-line anymore Rolling Eyes


Let me rephrase what plan has said then. "Boy, I'm sure glad the Cowboys drafted Larry Warford when he was there in the 2nd round instead of a 3rd TE"


That is all well and good, but why does everyone feel like we should have 8 starting quality linemen on a team? That just isn't realistic. Obviously, the team liked what they had after they took Fredbeard along the line, and for the most part, they were right. Free has looked solid this year, Leary has looked decent, and they got unlucky with another injury


It has been the weakness of this team for many years. What you said is true they just got unlucky with Waters, but Waters didn't play last year and is currently 36 years old so there was a high risk chance of him getting injured.

At the time of the draft there were concerns on the entire right side of the OL (including Free). All I am saying is why draft another luxury (a 3rd TE) instead of potentially solidifying this OL issue with two young OLmen?


Because they were following their draft board? Something that everyone on this forum has been preaching for a long time


If that was the case why wasn't Floyd drafted at 18, because it doesn't work both ways. Jerry drafted for need in the first when he traded back with the 49ers.


Again, according to their charts, they were winning this trade by a large enough margin that they figured it was worth it. And they got Terrence Williams. Cant complain about that. Well you can, but oh well


You said to stick to your board, and if the Cowboys did that they should have picked Floyd at #18, then could have got Fredrick in the 2nd and Williams in the 3rd. So the only person they may have missed on is escobar and Wilcox. Don't care if they think they made out like bandits on the trade its about following your board


You know for a fact they could have gotten Frederick in the 2nd? And that they would have taken Williams over Wilcox? Impressive
_________________


Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group