Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My First Ever Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: My First Ever Mock Offseason Reply with quote

This is my first ever mock draft and I tried to be as in depth as possible. Also forgive me if some of the formatting doesn't look good as this is my first ever thread created. Also forgive me for any mistakes in the cap or in the draft as I have not payed attention to many later round guys at this point in the season. I haven't posted that much on this site so hopefully this get me more involved. Hope you guys enjoy.

Jets Salary: 100.7 Million
Projected Salary Cap: 125.6 Million
Roll Over Cap: 5.6 Million
Total Cap Room: 30.5 Million

Roster Cuts:

Mark Sanchez (8.3 Million in Cap Savings)
Surprise, surprise. Mark Sanchez will have to try to rejuvenate his career elsewhere.

Santonio Holmes (8.25 Million in Cap Savings)
If there was a WAR in football and if WAR took into account the number of controversies you caused in your own locker room, Holmes would have a negative WAR. Holmes is simply not worth his contract.

Dawan Landry ( 1.5 Million in Cap Savings)
Dawan got little interest on the market this offseason for a reason. He will not start for the Jets next season.

Benjamin Ijalana ( .92 Million in Cap Savings)
.92 Million dollars is too much for a guy I've never heard of.

Caleb Schlauderaff (.64 Million in Cap Savings)
He couldn't even handle backups in the preseason. He should not be on an NFL team.

Clyde Gates (.64 Million in Cap Savings)
Every returner for the Jets has looked good since we had Leon Washington. Even though this guy doesn't have Westhoff as his special teams coach, he sucks.

Ryan Quigley (.49 Million in Cap Savings)
Why we downgraded from Malone to Quigley I will never know. This is a good offseason to go out and get a real punter.

Updated Cap Room: 51.24 Million

Contract Extensions: Jets Free Agents:
Matt Simms (ERFA)
David Garrard (UFA) Let go
Kellen Winslow (UFA)Let go
Jeff Cumberland (UFA)
Konrad Reuland (RFA)Let go
Austin Howard (UFA)
Willie Colon (UFA)
Vladimir Ducasse (UFA) Let go
Leger Douzable (UFA)
Josh Mauga (UFA) Let go
Garrett McIntyre (RFA) Untendered
Calvin Pace (UFA)
Ellis Lankster (UFA)
Isaiah Trufant (UFA) Let go
Darrin Walls (RFA)
Nick Folk (UFA)

Austin Howard (4 years 22 Million 5 Million dollar cap hit)
Austin Howard, who was supposed to be a mediocre solution for one year, now is one of the better right tackles in the league. I like the Jets being built on players who are undrafted or low round guys like Harrison, Allen and Howard. We should make an effort to keep these guys.

Willie Colon (1 year 2 Million)
We resign Colon less for his ability more for leadership and attitude. This guy brings a great meanness to our offence that is rare. You wonít find a guard that will fit in as good as Colon will in the draft or free agency.

Jeff Cumberland (3 years 9 Million 3 Million dollar cap hit)
He signs to be a solid backup or split time.

Darrin Walls (Second round tender 2 Million dollar cap hit)
Most team would be ecstatic to have this type of play from the third or fourth best corner on the team.

Ellis Lankster (1 year 1 Million)
He could earn a Special Teams pro bowl appearance. Too bad that goes to the guy on the most popular team instead of the best special teams player.

Matt Simms
(tendered .5 Million dollar cap hit)
A solid backup/ third stringer.

Nick Folk (3 years 3 Million 1 Million dollar cap hit)
Even though he has already had a pro-bowl season, this has been the best season of his career. Well-earned multi-year deal.

Calvin Pace ( 1 year 850,000)
He and David Harris have played way more efficiently this year.

Garrett McIntyre (1 year 750,000)
He is good enough to be a backup, but not to be tendered.

Leger Douzable ( 1 year 850,000)
The guy plays well with the rest of our awesome line.

Updated cap room: 35 Million

Extensions:

Muhammad Wilkerson (6 years 64 Million 8 Million Cap increase)
We need to lock Wilkerson up as soon as possible and should be a priority this offseason. Geno Atkins got 5 years 55 million. We give Wilkerson a similar deal but a year longer.

Antonio Cromartie (4 years 32 Million 6 Million in Cap Savings)
Giving Cromartie an extension solves two things. One is Cro doesn't become a free agent for four more years ensuring that we will not need to address the cornerback position for a while. Second, we get rid of his unreasonable 15 million against the cap lowered. It would be hypocritical to have Cro making that money when we wouldn't give Revis that money. We give him the exact same amount of money as his last contract.

Jeremy Kerley ( 4 years 18 Million 3 million cap increase)
After we find out we won't be spending all of our cap room with just free agents, we give some of our key players extensions. Kerley is worth that money.

Updated Cap Room: 30 Million

Free Agent Signings:

Brandon Pettigrew (4 years 20 Million 3 Million dollar cap hit)
Although having this is Idzikís biggest splash of the season is not what many fans would want, Idzik sticks to his small contract, competition based mentality. Pettigrew is our solution to the tight end position and a good one. He has been very consistent with the Lions and this contract is more than fair.

Darren McFadden (1 year 6 Million)
This will be the most controversial move of the offseason. Whether the excuse is injury or scheme, McFadden had a terrible 2012. McFadden gets a prove it deal from the team that would have drafted him if he fell one more pick. Even though we have 3 capable backs, McFadden is more of a starter and has more potential. Remember Idzik loves competition. Also, with the depth we have a running back, McFadden will have less chance of injury sharing the load.

Golden Tate (3 years 16 Million 4 Million dollar cap hit)
Another guy we many analysts were mocking to us. Golden Tate is a quality depth signing and a good, new weapon for Geno. This is not a good solution for the starting wide receiver we clearly desperately need, but if a rookie were to need time to develop before starting (stay tuned) he could fill in great until the rookie is ready. Golden Tate playing for the Seahawks is used to being pushed down the depth chart by guys like Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin. SO, moving him down midseason should not be a problem.

Bernard Pollard (2 years 3 Million 1.5 Million dollar cap hit)
Another former Raven defender coming to the Jets. Pollard can fill in the starting safety role for one season. Next to Antonio Allen, we might have the hardest hitting safety tandems in the league.

Matt Cassell (1 year 750,00)
Cassell has had good seasons in the past but since it hasnít gone well for him in Minnesota. He has to settle for a third string job on for the veterans minimum. Most fans would say we need a real backup, with ability and experience, like Shaun Hill. Matt Simms is our backup with ability, Cassell with experience. Cassell might be able to help Geno in ways Brady Quinn and David Garrard were not able to.

Updated Cap: 14.75

Draft Picks:
1(17)
2(49)
3(65)
3(80)
5(comp)
6(comp)

Trade:
Jets Trade: 1 (17), 3(80),4
Rams Trade: 1(9)

1(9) Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
Mike Evans recently had a game that would be great numbers for a quarterback. Neck and neck with Sammy Watkins for best receiver in the draft, I have the feeling Watkins combine will allow him to rise above Evans, who is not fast. This is good news for us because Evans is probably going to be the better player. We go all out to give Geno what he deserves: a number 1 receiver. The Rams already have picked in the top ten and see a very good opportunity to accumulate picks, something Jeff Fisher likes to do.

2(49) Carl Bradford OLB Arizona State
If the Jets were to draft an outside linebacker he has to defend the run well. Carl Bradford is a good run defender whose pass rush could develop.

3(80) Ty Zimmerman S Kansas State
Zimmerman is not a guy who plays the run or pass either very well or very bad, but he is a playmaker something the Jets defense is sorely lacking in the secondary. Also, he compliments Antonio Allen well.

5 Nick OíLeary TE Florida State
A who can shine or disappear could develop nicely and turn out to be good in a few years of sitting.

5 (comp) Brandon Thomas OG Clemson
Another developmental guy who fits into our blocking scheme nicely.

6 Wayne Lyons CB Stanford
A guy with a with a perfect cornerback frame who could contribute on special teams his first season.

6(comp) Kirby Van Der Kamp P Iowa State
Okay, maybe I like this guy only for his name, but we need a punter.

7 Eric Ledfeld OT Cincinnati
Another project offensive lineman to compete with all the others.

Predicted Depth Chart at Training Camp:
QB: Geno Smith // Matt Simms // Matt Cassell
RB: Darren McFadden//Bilal Powell // Chris Ivory // Mike Goodson
FB: Tommy Bohanon
WR: Mike Evans// Stephen Hill // Jeremy Kerely//Golden Tate//David Nelson// Michael Campbell
TE: Brandon Pettigrew//Jeff Cumberland // Nick OíLeary// Zach Sudfeld
LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson // Oday Aboushi
LG: Brian Winters
C: Nick Mangold
RG: Willie Colon // Brandon Thomas
RT: Austin Howard// Eric Ledfeld

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson // Sheldon Richardson//Leger Douzable
NT: Damon Harrison // Kendrick Ellis
OLB: Quinton Coples // Antwan Barnes // Calvin Pace// Carl Bradford// Garrett McIntyre
ILB: David Harris// Demario Davis // Nick Bellore
CB: Antonio Cromartie // Dee Milliner// Kyle Wilson//Darrin Walls // Ellis Lankster // Wayne Lyons
FS: Bernard Pollard// Ty Zimmerman// Josh Bush
SS: Antonio Allen // Jaiquawn Jarrett

K: Nick Folk
P: Kirby Van Der Kamp
LS: Tanner Purdum
KR: Mike Goodson
PR: Jeremy Kerley
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you traded 3(80) to the Rams?

Honestly I don't like FA at all. I dont want McFadden for that much money, I'd much rather save that money and Pollard's money and give it to Byrd. We need a legit starter to plug in, not expensive bandaids. I also don't like trading away 3 picks in the draft. Our team still has a lot of holes and we should be going BPA with those picks. (I do like Evans though just think we will have more options come draft time)

Welcome to the posting side! Not a bad start.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ton of moves I dont like, well pretty much most of it

I like the Tate pick up, he can replace Holmes

Bradford is not the ideal OLB we need

Pettigrew isn't worth the money

why cut Landry he's been fine
ganggreen1102

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Clearly you put a decent amount of effort into this but I really don't like it that much. Free agency overall is not that good. You payed too much anyway for mediocre recievers in Pettigrew and Tate. They're not nearly worth what you gave them. Also, why sign Pollard if you get rid of Landry? He's zero upgrade over Landry at the safety position. Your draft also needs work, the only player I like is Bradford but second round is too early for him. To be honest Kirby Van der kamp probably isn't an upgrade over Quigley. Trusting rookie kickers and punters doesnt work out very often. Overall it needs a lot of work but its your first post and you should figure out sooner or later which prospects most of us like on here.
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganggreen1102 wrote:
Welcome! Clearly you put a decent amount of effort into this but I really don't like it that much. Free agency overall is not that good. You payed too much anyway for mediocre recievers in Pettigrew and Tate. They're not nearly worth what you gave them. Also, why sign Pollard if you get rid of Landry? He's zero upgrade over Landry at the safety position. Your draft also needs work, the only player I like is Bradford but second round is too early for him. To be honest Kirby Van der kamp probably isn't an upgrade over Quigley. Trusting rookie kickers and punters doesnt work out very often. Overall it needs a lot of work but its your first post and you should figure out sooner or later which prospects most of us like on here.

I dont think we are overpaying for Pettigrew.I am only giving him 5 million per year. He is just as guys like Jared cook (7 million per year) Martellues Bennett (5 million per year) Maracedies Lewis (7 million) and Zach Miller (7million) . Unfortunately to get any starting player in free agency your almost always overpaying.

I do agree Landry may be better than Pollard. Pollard is a better leader and may pave the way for a rookie better. Maybe not.

Quigley is not good at all. There could be something I dont know but I think we should have never cut Malone.
glenearl18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettigrew is not consistent. He disappears in games. I think Cumberland is better than him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: