Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Keys for the future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that keep defending Sanders have you bothered watching him play this season? I guarantee Colbert knows he made a mistake matching NE's offer.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been banking on how good Sanders "could" be since he was drafted. It's been enough time, he hasn't shown it. He's barely even shown flashes. Not to say he can't be good, I just don't see how he's shown enough for us to give him a good contract. He hasn't been a number 2 for us. At times, he's barely been a number 3.

Better off with Wheaton/Cotchery/Moye and then drafting, since we seem to be pretty good at drafting receivers.
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
For those of you that keep defending Sanders have you bothered watching him play this season? I guarantee Colbert knows he made a mistake matching NE's offer.

This.

Sanders isn't a player that this team should expend resources on. I don't think he's a bad player but those dollars could be more wisely invested elsewhere.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Its easy to say that in hindsight.

At the time, it was the right decision. We lost Wallace, Cotchery was okay as depth and Burress got hurt, and beyond that we had Wheaton and Moye, and Sanders still had hope.

If we had let Sanders go and he was tearing it up for the Pats, people would be bashing the front office for it.

Its clearly time to move on now. I still think Sanders could have nice success in New England, but here, he really isnt a good compliment to our other receivers.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

This.

Sanders isn't a player that this team should expend resources on. I don't think he's a bad player but those dollars could be more wisely invested elsewhere.

Well, there has only been 2 people defending Sanders that I recall, and they are guys that defend every single Steeler regardless of how mediocre they look.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Key to the future is change.

Changing of the Offensive Coordinator. Changing of the Defensive Coordinator.

Changing of the defensive line (move McLendon to DE and get a real NT). Changing the culture of the team and the discipline.

Changing the fact we always have our best players on IR by being better conditioned (yes what happened to Pouncey is the exception, that had nothing to do with conditioning).

Changing the quality of our depth.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Changing of the Offensive Coordinator. Changing of the Defensive Coordinator.

Changing of the defensive line (move McLendon to DE and get a real NT). Changing the culture of the team and the discipline.

Changing the fact we always have our best players on IR by being better conditioned (yes what happened to Pouncey is the exception, that had nothing to do with conditioning).

Changing the quality of our depth.

Anyone can change.

What do you mean by change the culture of the team? That could mean alot of things.

Changing the DLine? You mean as in bringing in better players? Because thats pretty obvious we need that.

Always have our best players on IR? Huh? Our best players are rarely ever on IR. Heath was on IR...but that had NOTHING to do with lack of conditioning. Troy....trains mostly on his own during the offseason and the way he plays lends itself to injury. Ben....same as Troy, his injury history has much more to do with his reckless playing style.

Beyond that, when have our best players been on IR? Outside of OLine, Ben and Troy , we are no more banged up than the average NFL team, and Ben and Troy bring in on themselves.

Change the quality of our depth? Well, thats just a matter of evaluating, drafting and coaching players better....which isnt really something you can just change. If only it were that easy.
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Throw in a little hope and we have the recipe for a real disaster.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say our best players on our IR, maybe I should say, the players we need most always seem to find their way on to IR or rather, to be more broad, the injury list. That being the offensive line.

I don't just think we need to bring in new players on the Dline, I think we need to change where the current players are, mostly, SMac.

As far as the culture, i meant that to be as broad as it sounds. Starting with the constant 'making excuses' routine that Tomlin goes through in Post-Game Press Conferences. A lot of other coaches have the guts to just come out and say it like it is. But not him, everything is a 'coincidence' and everything is a matter of what the other team did, not what we didn't do.

On top of that, there isn't a lot of threat to most of our starters to be benched if they don't do their job. Adams was a rare exception. So where's the incentive for them to go out and play hard? I'm not saying they're not playing hard, what I'm saying is that there's no push on this team. That is something that needs to change. The furosity this team once had is gone. We need that back.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotchery is near the top of the DVOA chart this season. Sanders is near the bottom. Sanders' best DVOA season doesn't even match old man Cotchery this season.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanders is someone that can be replaced somewhat easily in the draft, we found him in the 3rd and he could be replaced similarly or call me crazy but it might be possible to find even better late in the 6th round. Wide receivers are perhaps the most abundant position that can be found at any point in the draft, especially when considering anything other than a #1 type. Trading him away would be wise if possible.

...you have a forum resume?
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones has been demoted behind Worlids. So he may be the future but he is presently coming off the bench. Not necessarily as bad as it's seems. After all, Rookies don't usually start in Lebeau's "War and Peace" playbook. Tomlin explained that the change was due to Worlids attention to detail and Jones' inability to adhere to his assignment.
*Also, Wheaton looks to return next week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Sanders is someone that can be replaced somewhat easily in the draft, we found him in the 3rd and he could be replaced similarly or call me crazy but it might be possible to find even better late in the 6th round. Wide receivers are perhaps the most abundant position that can be found at any point in the draft, especially when considering anything other than a #1 type. Trading him away would be wise if possible.

It'd be nice to replace him with Donte Moncrief or DeVante Parker. They're both completely opposite types of Receivers of each other, but I think both would fit extremely well in our offense.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
When I say our best players on our IR, maybe I should say, the players we need most always seem to find their way on to IR or rather, to be more broad, the injury list. That being the offensive line.

Well thats completely different from what you initially said. Oft-injured offensive lineman =/= best players on IR....especially when none of our lineman are anywhere near our best players.

Quote:
I don't just think we need to bring in new players on the Dline, I think we need to change where the current players are, mostly, SMac.

ONLY SMac.

He is the only one out of place...and I dont see him as a starting quality talent at any spot on the DLine. Not TERRIBLE, but better suited doing what he was doing prior to this year.

Quote:
As far as the culture, i meant that to be as broad as it sounds. Starting with the constant 'making excuses' routine that Tomlin goes through in Post-Game Press Conferences. A lot of other coaches have the guts to just come out and say it like it is. But not him, everything is a 'coincidence' and everything is a matter of what the other team did, not what we didn't do.

There is so much wrong with this, I dont know where to start.

You could possibly call out Tomlin for canned responses, but saying he makes excuses is silly. He never makes excuses. He may explain where things went wrong, but thats no different than what other coaches do.

Everything is a coincidence? Show me some direct quotes...with links...with him calling things a coincidence. Just a few.

A matter of what the other team did and not what we didnt do? He isnt allowed to give the other team credit for outplaying us? Because thats what he does.

And besides that, you are once again wrong. In fact, I dont have to look any further back than his last press conference....the very first quote actually...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/steelers-mike-tomlin-post-game-press-conference-transcript-raiders-week-8/

Most of that is blaming the Steelers lack of execution and giving the Raiders credit. And if I go back, I am 100% sure that his other press conferences dole out plenty of blame to both coaches and players.

Quote:
On top of that, there isn't a lot of threat to most of our starters to be benched if they don't do their job. Adams was a rare exception. So where's the incentive for them to go out and play hard? I'm not saying they're not playing hard, what I'm saying is that there's no push on this team. That is something that needs to change. The furosity this team once had is gone. We need that back.

This....I agree with completely.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense

1. Adams - - Can be dominant at RT. Playing out of position.
2. Bell - - Has instincts, vision and ability. He only needs blocking.
3. Brown - - Strong work ethic and continues to mature as a player.
4. De Castro - - Piece of the puzzle to solidify the OL.
5. Pouncey - - Not Dirt or Webby, but a great piece to add to the OL.
6. Velasco - - Intelligent, good character and mean streak.
7. Wheaton - - Can be a good #2 with Brown.

BTW: I'd put Pouncey at LG. He can play G or C.

Defense

8. Allen - - Injuries a concern, but if healthy coverage and splash plays.
9. Heyward - - Like work ethic and attitude. Could be better used in scheme.
10. Jones - - Will only get better.
11. Thomas - - Coverage and hitting at FS.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: