Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bob Strum understands Cowboys fans...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Do you understand how absurd what you just said was:

1- we need someone to protect Jerry from gaming out large contracts.
2- if current coach can't win while being saddled with crappy contracts that were signed before him, he sucks.

.... Question

we have signed 3(?) major contracts under Garrett. Romo, Carr and Lee. No e of them are bad contracts.

Matts, try to read again what I said. You will notice that I never said anything is wrong with signing young players to long term deals. You will see that I'm referring to restructuring mass contracts and taking money from future caps to get under last years cap, this years cap, next years cap, etc. and for what purpose? To maintain the same level of mediocrity? That's what's absurd.

And JG is going along with it. It was become part of his process as a HC.

And, really, to be fair... let's not forget that really what makes him a below average HC isn't just that he's mortgaging future caps to maintain mediocrity, but also his clock management, stupid in game decisions, handcuffing the offenses' best players, lack of killer instinct, etc. In addition to managing the cap as poorly as any HC in the NFL, he's also not good at in game coaching and preparation.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently

Last edited by The_Slamman on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Don't blame Phillips without pointing a finger at JG. JG had just as much influence on Jerry as Wade ever did.

if that's true, then why has the entire culture changed in 3 years?

its not true.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

2- if current coach can't win while being saddled with crappy contracts that were signed before him, he sucks.

.... Question

we have signed 3(?) major contracts under Garrett. Romo, Carr and Lee. No e of them are bad contracts.

Matts, try to read again what I said. You will notice that I never said anything is wrong with signing young players to long term deals. You will see that I'm referring to restructuring mass contracts and taking money from future caps to get under last years cap, this years cap, next years cap, etc. and for what purpose? To maintain the same level of mediocrity? That's what's absurd.

And, really, to be fair... let's not forget that really what makes him a below average HC isn't just that he's mortgaging future caps to maintain mediocrity, but also his clock management, stupid in game decisions, handcuffing the offenses' best players, lack of killer instinct, etc. In addition to managing the cap as poorly as any HC in the NFL, he's also not good at in game coaching and preparation.

restructuring the right contracts is smart accounting.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Don't blame Phillips without pointing a finger at JG. JG had just as much influence on Jerry as Wade ever did.

its not true.

You're going to have to explain that one to me. How has the entire culture changed in 3 years?

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

its not true.

You're going to have to explain that one to me. How has the entire culture changed in 3 years?

1. Our team is mostly home grown
2. Our team is no longer entitled divas, they are rkgs
3. Our team has direction and leadership.
4 our team is more disciplined
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come Garrett no longer runs camp cupcake? If he hated it, he could have just changed it when wade was here. Seeeing as he had equal power and all...

that's odd.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As defacto co-HC I find it dumb that Garrett waited until after he was na
mef full HC to purge the roster.

#redwadsabotagingwade
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

#redwadsabotagingwade

I have made this argument before. It's remarkable the lengths some will go to concoct a conspiracy theory.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

#redwadsabotagingwade

I have made this argument before. It's remarkable the lengths some will go to concoct a conspiracy theory.

How do equate "influence with Jerry" and conspiracy theory? And how do you deny Garrett's influence while Wade was here? The Roy Williams trade, Felix Jones, TO being released, etc. jG carried a ton of influence... More than any OC I've ever seen before.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

#redwadsabotagingwade

How do equate "influence with Jerry" and conspiracy theory? And how do you deny Garrett's influence while Wade was here? The Roy Williams trade, Felix Jones, TO being released, etc. jG carried a ton of influence... More than any OC I've ever seen before.

Redball had influence. No doubt. Jerry is brilliant in the sense he listens to all those around him - he simply doesn't always act on the soundest decision. That doesn't mean the sins of one administration are the sins of the other, not matter how blue in the face you get trying to paint that Redball has been a head coach of this team for the past 17 years.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

#redwadsabotagingwade

Roy and TO were both unadulterated Jerry. TO was cut because he was a cancer. I thought that was Stephen Jones, anyway? Could be wrong.

but then again, even if that was all Garrett, clearly he was limited in the effect of his message with wade being a "players coach"
be WARE94

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
i just don't think garrett is a very good NFL head coach....period.....i personally could care less about his "process" seeing as he's just not a very good coach.....like i said he's done some nice things(although it couldn't of been much worse then when phillips was around) but he's not the guy that's going to put us into consistent contention

how can you be serious? Phillips might be the second worse coach we've had behind Switzer.

Phillips destroyed everything we had going.

phillips much like garrett is not and NFL head coach...my point was garrett couldn't do much worse then phillips did....we've seen some change under garrett.....but in this case he's just the tallest midget.....when it's all said and done i think garrett will be gone in the next 1-2 years and will never land another head coaching job in the NFL again.....with all that being said....i hope you are right and i am wrong when it comes to garrett.....i'll eat crow...but i just don't see it

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

.... Question

I think what Slam is trying to say, Matts, is that Garrett's other responsibility is to work to prevent Jerry from making more of those bad decisions. i.e., Stop restructuring future deals while he's the coach, stop signing players to bloated deals, and focus more on building a team from the ground up (the draft) rather than leveraging future caps to maintain the current one. It's irresponsible and prevents any coach from achieving the success that he may actually capabile of achieving.

And let's be fair. Garrett is not a good head coach, but I think we can all agree that the direction he's trying to take the team in is the right one from an organizational perspective. The trouble is that Jerry and Goof Son's cap antics are limiting and reducing the positive impacts of those decisions. So, a strong willed coach will seek to change the way the organization conducts its business just as much as he focuses on coaching his team because bad front office decisions directly impact his ability to coach. This is why I think RedPubes is better suited to be the GM (which I think he'd do an outstanding job in) rather than coach.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

.... Question

restructuring the right contracts is smart accounting.

Not signing those players to those deals and placing them on more appropriate deals commensurate to their talents is better accounting.

Northland wrote:
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
i just don't think garrett is a very good NFL head coach....period.....i personally could care less about his "process" seeing as he's just not a very good coach.....like i said he's done some nice things(although it couldn't of been much worse then when phillips was around) but he's not the guy that's going to put us into consistent contention

how can you be serious? Phillips might be the second worse coach we've had behind Switzer.

Phillips destroyed everything we had going.

phillips much like garrett is not and NFL head coach...my point was garrett couldn't do much worse then phillips did....we've seen some change under garrett.....but in this case he's just the tallest midget.....when it's all said and done i think garrett will be gone in the next 1-2 years and will never land another head coaching job in the NFL again.....with all that being said....i hope you are right and i am wrong when it comes to garrett.....i'll eat crow...but i just don't see it

No wonder why Matts likes him! Wink

Northland wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: