Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bob Strum understands Cowboys fans...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Bob Strum understands Cowboys fans... Reply with quote

Quote:
The very large majority seem to consider this team as "the Same Old Cowboys" who can't close the deal on games they should win, often make silly mistakes that make their demise all the easier, and then because of this chronic generosity to their opponent, stay stuck in a rut of mediocrity that keeps them from ever being good enough to contend or bad enough to rebuild. Some weeks it is the quarterback, some weeks it is the coach, and some weeks it is a new player who just joined the team. But, too often there is sabotage that brings an otherwise acceptable performance to its knees at just the wrong time.

And then there is a much smaller group that believes that this season is different from all of the others; and that progress is being made under Jason Garrett and lessons are being learned. They believe that to paint all Cowboys teams of the last decade with the same brush is lazy and reckless and misses out on the nuance of growth and maturity. This group believes that with the help of a personnel department that has found its footing, the turnover in this squad is such that this is a completely new group that is capable of new and lofty destinations and is not at all tied to teams that insist on self-inflicted torture that will in the end leave them stuck in the middle of mediocrity.

But, unfortunately for the particular group that attempts to perceive that organizational progress is being made, there are days like yesterday in Detroit that put far more people in the larger group.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-morning-after-lions-31-cowboys-30-4.html

Quote:
"Heís a competitive guy," Romo said. "I donít know thatÖHeís never complained to me about getting the ball. He knows the ball is going to where itís supposed to. He knows that. I think more than anything itís about him willing the team. When you guys see emotion sometimes from Dez, itís just rah rah more than it is being a me guy. Thatís not who Dez is. I think that would be completely out of character for him for it to be a me situation. He does a great jobÖsometimes, itís come on guys, weíre better than this, really emotionally. But heís never a selfish guy."
Romo said Bryant was not a distraction on the sideline. He said Bryant is a guy driven by his emotions and his teammates understand that.
"No. More than anything, it probably happens 12 times a year during games," Romo said. "Some guys are emotional during games. Others keep it in a little bit. Itís what helps him play good. There will be some stories about it, Iím sure, but everyone in the lockerroom knows there is nothing to it. Itís not like this guy is being deceitful or trying to do something that helps himself. He literally just cares about winning. Terrance caught a long touchdown, he comes over, Dez is the first guy to come over. He wants the ball because he thinks he can help us win. But heís never going to come to me and just make that a point. Thatís because heís a good teammate."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/10/no-to-romo-not-worried-about-dez-rants-because-hes-not-selfish-or-deceitful-and-is-good-teammate.html#storylink=cpy
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting about the Sturm article is that I think our forum is the inverse of his description of Cowboys fans. While I do see more posters open to a coaching change, I'd still say the majority here "believes that this season is different from all of the others; and that progress is being made under Jason Garrett and lessons are being learned."

But, his description of "the same old cowboys" summarizes perfectly what I believe is wrong with this team... especially the rut of mediocrity. We have mortgaged future caps to maintain a level of mediocrity. We have extended aging players to maintain a level of mediocrity. For the past 4 drafts, we haven't sucked bad enough to rebuild the team with premium picks. But, we have sucked just enough to not be a real contender. It sucks.

For Gits and Shiggles, I wonder what would have happened if Jerry didn't fire Wade until AFTER the season. The team had quit on the coach. We were 1-7. Odds are pretty good that we would have finished with under 4 wins and possible with 2 or less. The possibilities of what this team could have done are endless. Draft Cam Newton? Draft Von Miller? Draft AJ Green? In the second round, draft Colin Kaepernick? Andy Dalton? In the third, draft Justin Houston? DeMarco Murray? In the forth, Jordan Cameron? KJ Wright? Sam Acho? Spencer would have played under the franchise tag. Romo would not have been extended. Ratliff probably would not have been extended. Witten might not have been extended. Instead of all the resctructures... what if we took our lumps for a couple of years?

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
What's interesting about the Sturm article is that I think our forum is the inverse of his description of Cowboys fans. While I do see more posters open to a coaching change, I'd still say the majority here "believes that this season is different from all of the others; and that progress is being made under Jason Garrett and lessons are being learned."

But, his description of "the same old cowboys" summarizes perfectly what I believe is wrong with this team... especially the rut of mediocrity. We have mortgaged future caps to maintain a level of mediocrity. We have extended aging players to maintain a level of mediocrity. For the past 4 drafts, we haven't sucked bad enough to rebuild the team with premium picks. But, we have sucked just enough to not be a real contender. It sucks.

For Gits and Shiggles, I wonder what would have happened if Jerry didn't fire Wade until AFTER the season. The team had quit on the coach. We were 1-7. Odds are pretty good that we would have finished with under 4 wins and possible with 2 or less. The possibilities of what this team could have done are endless. Draft Cam Newton? Draft Von Miller? Draft AJ Green? In the second round, draft Colin Kaepernick? Andy Dalton? In the third, draft Justin Houston? DeMarco Murray? In the forth, Jordan Cameron? KJ Wright? Sam Acho? Spencer would have played under the franchise tag. Romo would not have been extended. Ratliff probably would not have been extended. Witten might not have been extended. Instead of all the resctructures... what if we took our lumps for a couple of years?

This is the organizational problem, not being able to mesh new guys just drafted and veterans that have been here for years. We have 2 players that have a great chance at the Hall of Fame(Witten and Ware) and one who has a good chance(Romo). Yet management has never been able to surround these 3 with a team that can coach, manage or play up to the level of these 3.

Garrett I have no doubt will be a great coach one of these days, but he should have had more seasoning behind someone like Parcells or Bellicheck to learn game management. I see a potential in his process, but with limited time his process might take to long. I will not lie, I think Garrett was in way over his head in the beginning and still think he is barely above water.

I will also admit that I thought taking the play calling away from JG would be a good thing and boy was I wrong. Callahan has been atrocious to say the least. 8 men in the box on almost every first down Sunday and we run it straight into the middle. Kiffin's only saving grace has been Marinelli and his energy, think about Marinelli with some talent to work with.

Every member of this forum was for drafting a DL with one of out top 2 picks in this years draft, and suddenly everyone says if the Cowboys management and front office think we have enough, then we have enough. Our greatest need at this time is a D-lineman that can do anything other than breathe hard. Its coming I know, well I am glad you have a crystal ball and could see all the injuries, BS. There was a need before the draft that everyone on this forum saw along with every draft nik in the country.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 3m
Quote:

Dez Bryant has 22 Rec TD with the score within 7 points over the last 3 seasons, the most such TD in the NFL during that span. #clutch

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm 50m

Quote:
Eye-Popping Cowboys stat: 5 400-yard passing games allowed in last 10 games after only 8 400-yd games in 796 games in franchise history.

In Redball I Trust!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:
Eye-Popping Cowboys stat: 5 400-yard passing games allowed in last 10 games after only 8 400-yd games in 796 games in franchise history.

Quality coaching, right there. That "process" is working out really well.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 3m
Quote:

Dez Bryant has 22 Rec TD with the score within 7 points over the last 3 seasons, the most such TD in the NFL during that span. #clutch

And who has been throwing him those TD passes with the score within 7 points? Oh yeah, it was the guy everyone wants to run out of town. Interesting.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifeís problems.
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

You could have Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Bill Walsh, etc. running this team and they would struggle fielding a competitive defensive line given all the injuries we've had. Plan, as you so often love to point out, a defensive line makes the secondary better. How exactly is it Garrett's fault that...

1. Ratliff self destructed
2. Spencer, Crawford, Bass and Albright all got injured
3. Ware is missing games for the first time in his career

That is 3 out of 4 starters and 3 backups that were supposed to figure heavily in the rotation. If you think Garrett is doing a bad job, that's fine, but name me 1 coach who could have gotten better results in that situation and tell me why you think so.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifeís problems.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4718331/jerry-jones-to-make-more-sideline-trips

Quote:
"I used to spend my time on the sideline and probably need to spend some more down there," Jones said on KRLD-FM Tuesday. "But the bottom line is one of the reasons I'm trying to see and get a feel for is whereís the passion? Whereís the energy? Whatís the situation with the team?"

Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

So do you think Kiffin, Marineli, Henderson or Eberflous is to blame?

All of them have had ample success before, why do you think they are no longer "quality" coaches? Which "Process" are you referring too and how is it failing (with details, please)?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

All of them have had ample success before, why do you think they are no longer "quality" coaches? Which "Process" are you referring too and how is it failing (with details, please)?

They're all to blame. No one is blameless in failures like that. The players are just as much to blame as the coaches. And, I was mocking Garrett and his android "process" nonsense. Hey RedPubes, try coaching rather than processing. It may work out a little better for you.

Northland wrote:
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

They're all to blame. No one is blameless in failures like that. The players are just as much to blame as the coaches. And, I was mocking Garrett and his android "process" nonsense. Hey RedPubes, try coaching rather than processing. It may work out a little better for you.

So a stat that was put up against our defense opened up an opportunity for you to mock our HC who comes from an offensive background, while talking about the color of his pubic hair?

And do you wonder why so many of us find it difficult to carry an intelligent conversation with you, even though we know your smart? Do you wonder why you were banned?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

So a stat that was put up against our defense opened up an opportunity for you to mock our HC who comes from an offensive background, while talking about the color of his pubic hair?

And do you wonder why so many of us find it difficult to carry an intelligent conversation with you, even though we know your smart? Do you wonder why you were banned?

Stimulating dig there, Matts. Do you have anything relevant to say? Because me attacking my coach is perfectly reasonable regardless of what side of the LOS his expertise is on. As a walkaround coach, his ultimate responsibility is to oversee the entire team, so I'm not going to give him a free pass. He is just as responsible and culpable as anyone else. Any legitimate head coach in the league would agree with me. And given the number of repeated failures under his watch as coach, we all have ample ammunition to criticize him, his "process", and his coaching (in)ability. He's more than earned our vitriol.

And my being banned had nothing to do with this topic. It was because I was tired of being ridiculed for voicing an opinion, so I let the person know how stupid his post was. If you recall, I was told that I should root for another team because I was upset with the poor direction ours was taking.

Yep, that certainly supports you point, there. Rolling Eyes

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of you. PM. Learn it. Use it. Keep the crap out of here.

In Redball I Trust!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywho... Jerry spending more time on sideline does leave open the possibility of AD going helmet to helmet on Jerry this week. So, we have that going for us.

Now, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, I kid. I would never wish injury on... Andrian Peterson.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: