Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How did you become a Saints fan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: How did you become a Saints fan? Reply with quote

I thought this would be an interesting topic to talk about. Everyone has a different story. Some were born into Saints fanhood, and some became fans in other ways.

Personally, my dad was an Eagles fan and bought me a Brian Westbrook jersey and kept trying to get me to become an Eagles fan like him, he made me want to watch football, so I started. Living in Louisiana I got all the Saints games on TV and watched everyone and just fell in love with them. I don't have the most exciting story, but that's it.

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

#FreeBrandonHarris

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan: 3 tackles, 3 passes defended
Joseph Morgan: Absolutely nothing
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1988 when I was 5 years old my dad sat me down with him and my grandpa to watch my first Saints game. It was New Orleans against their division rival St. Louis and I was just excited to be watching football with my folks and St. Louis scored...my dad said I went nuts cheering (I didn't know who was who, just that football was happening) and then he told me that the Rams were bad guys and the Saints were good guys and we (emphasis on we) wanted to stop them.

The rest is history.

WHO DAT!

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 11 Tkls 1 PD
Ben Watson 3 Rec 14 Yds
Porter22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit different to many of your storys. As many know, I'm from Europe and everybody loves soccer here (me included Very Happy ) and Football isn't very popular. My first contact with football came through my brother who spent 10 months as an exchange student near Washington DC. He went to a Redskins game and fell in love with the great game of football. Back here in Germany he started playing in a junior team and after a few weeks of playing madden and watching some games, I joined the team as well.

Ok now to my journey with the Saints. The first weeks I just watched football, but you always want to have a team to cheer for. And it may sound strange, but it was Hurricane Katrina who made me connect to the City of New Orleans. The spirit in the city is special and after our 3-13 season we brought in an exciting Head Coach and especially Reggie Bush and Drew Brees. At that time, Bush had been by far my favorite player in football and with him beeing drafted by the Saints, it made my excitment for the Saints even bigger. Oh and then there was one of the best sports moments ever, the game against the Falcons to come back to New Orleans. At that moment, I wouldn't have called me a real fan, but I watched in on my PC and I started crying!!

My best football experience still has been the International Series game against the Chargers. My brother, who showed me this great sport, is a huge Chargers fan and we were able to go to London and both watch our favorite teams. Will never forget that weekend. You guys over there in the states may not like international games, but for fans in europe it's a great chance to watch the sport we love!

Hope my writeup is understandable.

By the way, this forum is a big reason, I know as much as I know about football! Great chance to talk to other football fans!

QB Drew Brees - 333 YDs ; 1 TD ; 1 INT ; 2 YDs rushing

DB Patrick Robinson - 3 Tackles
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in south MS, where there is literally nothing to cheer for, and New Orleans happens to be the closest city by a long shot. Not to mention my Grandpa was a Saints fan, as well as 75% of my friends.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you become a Saints fan? Reply with quote

Born and raised in New Orleans, I've (because of my work) traveled the world, seen many and most places this planet has to offer but the phrase "there's no place like home" has a deeply rooted meaning to me. I simply have not been to a place as unique and as diverse in culture as New Orleans. Maybe i'm bias but New Orleans is truly a special place filled with special people. Like any other city/state/community it has its drawbacks and bad element but that's all the part of the balance that permeates through out all locations.

My (and most natives of New Orleans) connection with this city is deeply connected to this football team. In a way, Living in New Orleans... the Saints are a way of life. I'm not just talking about since 2006 either! THis team truly has become the heart and sole of this community. In a region whos had their fair share of setbacks, the Saints (win or lose) always allowed the locals of the region a brief moment of escape during trying times and in 2009 became a beacon of hope for everyone across the gulf coast.

Football in the South is a big deal and the people of New Orleans respond to their franchise in a big way. As a native and current resident, I am no different. I love this city, I love to party, I love this team... WHAT BETTER PLACE TO BE???

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you become a Saints fan? Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Born and raised in New Orleans, I've (because of my work) traveled the world, seen many and most places this planet has to offer but the phrase "there's no place like home" has a deeply rooted meaning to me. I simply have not been to a place as unique and as diverse in culture as New Orleans. Maybe i'm bias but New Orleans is truly a special place filled with special people. Like any other city/state/community it has its drawbacks and bad element but that's all the part of the balance that permeates through out all locations.

My (and most natives of New Orleans) connection with this city is deeply connected to this football team. In a way, Living in New Orleans... the Saints are a way of life. I'm not just talking about since 2006 either! THis team truly has become the heart and sole of this community. In a region whos had their fair share of setbacks, the Saints (win or lose) always allowed the locals of the region a brief moment of escape during trying times and in 2009 became a beacon of hope for everyone across the gulf coast.

Football in the South is a big deal and the people of New Orleans respond to their franchise in a big way. As a native and current resident, I am no different. I love this city, I love to party, I love this team... WHAT BETTER PLACE TO BE???

WHODAT!!!

Yes, this reminded me, I travel all over the gulf coast for work, but i easily spend 90% of my time in south louisiana, so it feels like a second home to me.
Sec104row6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tulane Stadium. 1967. South end zone.

My dad had season tickets for the first few years. I still have some of the ticket stubs.

I've had mine since 2000. We used to be in 109 but when they refurbished the dome a few years ago we got moved to 104. Poydras St. end zone.
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents are 8th generation Pittsburgh-ers, and as such are diehard Steelers fans.
We used to live just outside of Baton Rouge, and this is where my Saint-anism began. Laughing

I was 10, and my parents won tickets to the Steelers-Saints game that year, scheduled to be in the dome. Seeing as how we didn't have much money, this was a once-in-a-decade sort of opportunity. IIRC, which i do, the Saints lost.

Why am i a Saints fan, then?

We were in the rows just under the boxes. There was a group of guys and girls in the box above us, watching the game in between the monitors in the box and actually viewing the field. One particular woman, probably in her early twenties took a look at me, in my tattered Maddox jersey and torn up sweatpants, and decided that even though we were fans of the opposing team, we were people still.

Much to the chagrin of her friends, she brought myself and my family into the box with her. She told us we were welcome to whatever we wanted to eat or drink, and informed us that we wouldn't be riding home on the bus that we used to get there. Rather, she would be driving us home in her Mercedes.

When we pulled up to my house, she was quite distressed by the run down state of the place. Not to mention our car looked, literally, like it was falling apart, piece by piece. We said goodbye, thanked her for the ride, walked inside, and unpacked all the food that we had put in our pockets so we could have food that week.

The next morning, we awoke to what sounded like screeching tires outside our house. Given our neighborhood, it wasn't surprising, but we still liked to go outside and watch what was going on.

What was surprising was the brand new Jeep Commander sitting in the driveway, and the carpenters there who had been given a $200,000 budget to fix whatever may need it. Over each headrest in the jeep was a jersey, one for each of us. Mine was an Aaron Brooks jersey.

My parents have long since forgetten. I have not. Geaux Saints.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:
My parents are 8th generation Pittsburgh-ers, and as such are diehard Steelers fans.
We used to live just outside of Baton Rouge, and this is where my Saint-anism began. Laughing

I was 10, and my parents won tickets to the Steelers-Saints game that year, scheduled to be in the dome. Seeing as how we didn't have much money, this was a once-in-a-decade sort of opportunity. IIRC, which i do, the Saints lost.

We were in the rows just under the boxes. There was a group of guys and girls in the box above us, watching the game in between the monitors in the box and actually viewing the field. One particular woman, probably in her early twenties took a look at me, in my tattered Maddox jersey and torn up sweatpants, and decided that even though we were fans of the opposing team, we were people still.

Much to the chagrin of her friends, she brought myself and my family into the box with her. She told us we were welcome to whatever we wanted to eat or drink, and informed us that we wouldn't be riding home on the bus that we used to get there. Rather, she would be driving us home in her Mercedes.

When we pulled up to my house, she was quite distressed by the run down state of the place. Not to mention our car looked, literally, like it was falling apart, piece by piece. We said goodbye, thanked her for the ride, walked inside, and unpacked all the food that we had put in our pockets so we could have food that week.

The next morning, we awoke to what sounded like screeching tires outside our house. Given our neighborhood, it wasn't surprising, but we still liked to go outside and watch what was going on.

What was surprising was the brand new Jeep Commander sitting in the driveway, and the carpenters there who had been given a $200,000 budget to fix whatever may need it. Over each headrest in the jeep was a jersey, one for each of us. Mine was an Aaron Brooks jersey.

Wait, what? Is this real life?
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made friends with a kid who moved up from New Orleans to my area during Katrina. Spent a lot of time with him and he was big into the Saints, so I started following them too.

Also, Brees was my favorite player at the time, his Chargers jersey was the first one I ever owned, it only made me like the Saints more when he signed them. Bush was probably my second favorite player when he was in college. I still have a USC t-shirt jersey with Bush #5 on the back.

When Brees was signed and Bush was drafted, it was like the universe wanted me to be a Saints fan.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 23 receptions, 199 yards, 10 first downs, 1 TD - 3 rushes, 49 yards, 2 first downs
Corey White - 20 tackles, 1 fumble recovery
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:

Wait, what? Is this real life?

I wouldn't be a Saints fan if it wasn't.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:

That is just an absolutely incredible story.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:

How could your parents have forgotten that?
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:

How could your parents have forgotten that?

I think he meant the Saints jerseys part, but I could be wrong.

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

#FreeBrandonHarris

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan: 3 tackles, 3 passes defended
Joseph Morgan: Absolutely nothing
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:

Wonderful story! Like I said, special city filled with special people... No place else like it, Trust me I've looked!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: