Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defense game plans
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Defense game plans Reply with quote

Is it just me or has the last few weeks seem that we aren't blitzing or going after the QB the way we did at the start of the season. I think its the gameplan and not the players.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Kcpre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you're right and it's just the game plan. It feels like to me like they might be getting alittle too comfy with being as good as they are and lost that chip. Before these last couple games it felt like the D went out there with some to prove to everyone and they sure as hell did that. Hopefully they'll get whatever it is right and do what we know they can do.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely is, 100% without a doubt the game plan. Just listen to what Tamba Hali said after the game about not being a 1 dimensional defense. One week they can blitz, the other they can rush 3-4 and play coverage. We are also playing some very "slippery" qbs of late. Jason Campbell did an amazing job sliding around in the pocket. Ryan FitzMagic was dancing around all damn game long. Pryor, enough said. (Still 10 sacks doe lol!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I kind of understand. I mean we were playing a team with an inexperienced undrafted QB and one of the best RB's and probably best combo of backs in the league. The old game plan of make the kid beat you throwing is a good plan, and when things got a little harry, then we started doing some creative blitzing. Maybe we let it go a little too long, but the overall strategy I don;t disagree with.

Now this week, like I said in the offense thread, we either had started "reading our own press clippings" and took it easy, chose to use this game as an experiment by not "relying" on blitzing, or we actually thought the best way to play the Browns/Campbell was to not blitz and play zone in the secondary for like the first time this season.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Last week I kind of understand. I mean we were playing a team with an inexperienced undrafted QB and one of the best RB's and probably best combo of backs in the league. The old game plan of make the kid beat you throwing is a good plan, and when things got a little harry, then we started doing some creative blitzing. Maybe we let it go a little too long, but the overall strategy I don;t disagree with.

Now this week, like I said in the offense thread, we either had started "reading our own press clippings" and took it easy, chose to use this game as an experiment by not "relying" on blitzing, or we actually thought the best way to play the Browns/Campbell was to not blitz and play zone in the secondary for like the first time this season.

looked like we played Campbell to run more than he did. We usually had a spy on him. Also, Sean Smith just isn't good enough to cover Josh Gordon all the time without help. Cooper might be though.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
jimmydee1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think it might be a combination of 'all the above'. Maybe Andy is showing just enough to get a win and when it is REALY necessary, we come full throttle with some Sutton magic. Sure gives other coordinators something to ponder, and game plan for, doesn't it. Sly like a fox comes to mind. Talk about it........... Wink
chiefsfan13084

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee1 wrote:
Guys, I think it might be a combination of 'all the above'. Maybe Andy is showing just enough to get a win and when it is REALY necessary, we come full throttle with some Sutton magic. Sure gives other coordinators something to ponder, and game plan for, doesn't it. Sly like a fox comes to mind. Talk about it........... :wink:

I agree with you here. It just seems like with our offense, when we need to score we drive down the field and score and when we need a stop on defense we usually get it. Makes it difficult for teams to game plan against us. I'm really hoping that's what it is though.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefsfan13084 wrote:
jimmydee1 wrote:
Guys, I think it might be a combination of 'all the above'. Maybe Andy is showing just enough to get a win and when it is REALY necessary, we come full throttle with some Sutton magic. Sure gives other coordinators something to ponder, and game plan for, doesn't it. Sly like a fox comes to mind. Talk about it........... Wink

I agree with you here. It just seems like with our offense, when we need to score we drive down the field and score and when we need a stop on defense we usually get it. Makes it difficult for teams to game plan against us. I'm really hoping that's what it is though.

That seems like a dangerous game to play in my opinion. It's one thing if you've got a two score lead in the 4th qtr, but these last two games that was not the case. As quickly as they rebounded from our early scoring, it wasn't hard to imagine them quickly scoring more.

^ryknowssd on the sig
chiefsfan13084

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
chiefsfan13084 wrote:
jimmydee1 wrote:
Guys, I think it might be a combination of 'all the above'. Maybe Andy is showing just enough to get a win and when it is REALY necessary, we come full throttle with some Sutton magic. Sure gives other coordinators something to ponder, and game plan for, doesn't it. Sly like a fox comes to mind. Talk about it........... :wink:

That seems like a dangerous game to play in my opinion. It's one thing if you've got a two score lead in the 4th qtr, but these last two games that was not the case. As quickly as they rebounded from our early scoring, it wasn't hard to imagine them quickly scoring more.

Didn't mean to make it sound like I want them to do that cause you are right that could be dangerous. I just want them to put forth a good all around game and stop letting the other teams stay in it cause that will eventually come back to bite us. I'm still happy that we are 8-0 tho and it seems to be working so far. I just feel we actually have not seen to the full extent how dangerous this team can be. I hope I'm right.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs have a new fan - looks like Mr. Sandcastle likes what he sees here:

Quote:
DeionSanders ‏@DeionSanders 7h

For my #Probowl team I'm taking @Bigplaycj @JamaalCharles23 Shawn Lee, @drewbrees @dhall23 the whole KC Chiefs Defense and @RobertMathis98
Shocked
chiefs82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Chiefs have a new fan - looks like Mr. Sandcastle likes what he sees here:

Quote:
DeionSanders ‏@DeionSanders 7h

For my #Probowl team I'm taking @Bigplaycj @JamaalCharles23 Shawn Lee, @drewbrees @dhall23 the whole KC Chiefs Defense and @RobertMathis98
Shocked

Imagine all the hate if that happened, FF would crash Laughing

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:32/Sacks:12/FF:1/FR:0
simonwayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I have thought the same thing about our whole defense being on the pro bowl. Our defense has a certain level of synergy right now where role players like Jordan/Lewis/DeVito are playing above their level IMO and through 8 weeks you could make a legit argument for nearly every defensive starter of ours to be in the pro bowl.

I hope Marcus Cooper gets in but I know that'll never happen with the little attention he has gotten even though he's 100% deserving of it as far as I'm concerned.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
Honestly I have thought the same thing about our whole defense being on the pro bowl. Our defense has a certain level of synergy right now where role players like Jordan/Lewis/DeVito are playing above their level IMO and through 8 weeks you could make a legit argument for nearly every defensive starter of ours to be in the pro bowl.

I hope Marcus Cooper gets in but I know that'll never happen with the little attention he has gotten even though he's 100% deserving of it as far as I'm concerned.

Marcus Cooper hasn't played better than Talib, Flowers, Vontae Davis, Joe Haden, Antonio Cromartie, Alteraun Verner By FAR. I don't know how many Cb's get chosen for the pro bowl, but he is definitely not better than those guys. Guaranteed. Even if there is room for more cbs after those guys, a guy like Jonathan Joseph will get taken just because of his name.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

Marcus Cooper hasn't played better than Talib, Flowers, Vontae Davis, Joe Haden, Antonio Cromartie, Alteraun Verner By FAR. I don't know how many Cb's get chosen for the pro bowl, but he is definitely not better than those guys. Guaranteed. Even if there is room for more cbs after those guys, a guy like Jonathan Joseph will get taken just because of his name.

I might disagree with Flowers. Then again flowers had some injuries he was playing through as well.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, Denver has the top rated pass protection, according to FBO.

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: