Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We have NOT been able to run the ball when necessary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: We have NOT been able to run the ball when necessary Reply with quote

Since 1996... And it has cost us games and potential playoff berths. Examples this year include the chiefs, broncos, and the lions games. Why can't we run the ball three times for 10 yards???
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: We have NOT been able to run the ball when necessary Reply with quote

Kenny3000 wrote:
Since 1996... And it has cost us games and potential playoff berths. Examples this year include the chiefs, broncos, and the lions games. Why can't we run the ball three times for 10 yards???

Because we lack the commitment to the running game and because we don't have the o-line to allow for it.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update....

we averaged 1.2 ypc on SECOND down and UNDER 3 ypc running on first down versus the lions...

the "commitment to the run" is KILLING this team... the definition of insanity is to keep running the ball with this turnstile of an offensive line.

the strength of this team is passing to the ball with Beasley, Williams, Dez, Witten, Escobar (lol)...

exploit the strength... what we need to do is run some SCREENS on first and second down to slow down the pass rush (notice how the lions blitzed the nickel on second down every play in the first and second quarter and got tfl after tfl) and not get romo KILLED.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wanted, with this team, to pass much more than we run. But for whatever reason fans here love to see us run into walls. We just gain 40 yards on two passing plays and the first people here say is, "OKAY! RUN THE F'IN BALL!!!"

It is very frustrating. Fans continue to want square pieces to be shoved into round holes. They let themselves believe the very misleading stat of our victory percentage based on rushes.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have wanted, with this team, to pass much more than we run. But for whatever reason fans here love to see us run into walls. We just gain 40 yards on two passing plays and the first people here say is, "OKAY! RUN THE F'IN BALL!!!"

It is very frustrating. Fans continue to want square pieces to be shoved into round holes. They let themselves believe the very misleading stat of our victory percentage based on rushes.

I want some balance and to have the ability to close a game out via the run. I'm not looking for Bo Schembechler/Woody Hayes 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Just the ability to effectively work some runs in. I still think it keeps a defense honest and we can still play to our passing strengths. A stronger running game may make our passing game more effective.

Right now we are a one dimensional offense and with Waters out our o line will struggle. Get ready for a lot of blitzes, pressure, and Romo running for his life.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

A lot of us want a stong running game because it helps win the time of possession battle and to control the tempo of a game. I'd rather keep the opposing team's defense on the field (and ours off the field) for as long as I possibly can. The more tired they get, the more powerful we become.

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

A lot of us want a stong running game because it helps win the time of possession battle and to control the tempo of a game. I'd rather keep the opposing team's defense on the field (and ours off the field) for as long as I possibly can. The more tired they get, the more powerful we become.

Oh, I would LOVE a power rushing attack. I am, and will always be, a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of guy. This isn't the team for that, though.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I want some balance and to have the ability to close a game out via the run. I'm not looking for Bo Schembechler/Woody Hayes 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Just the ability to effectively work some runs in. I still think it keeps a defense honest and we can still play to our passing strengths. A stronger running game may make our passing game more effective.

Right now we are a one dimensional offense and with Waters out our o line will struggle. Get ready for a lot of blitzes, pressure, and Romo running for his life.

I'd love for our runs to be successful. They are not. And I don't want us passing 100% of the time. But the brain trust here gets their panties in a wad if we score and didn't run. The next series when we run and then punt, they still are not happy.

In Redball I Trust!
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a runner that is less about an explosive game and more about consistency.

Julius Jones, Marion Barber and DeMarco Murray all had differing styles. But all had something very big in common: They were/are all about a big game, with a lot of inconsistency. THe occassional huge game is great, and we win when we get them. The problem is, going for 30 yards, 40 yards, 20 yards, 180 yards by week does not equate to a having a run game. We need some consistency. SOmething closer to 60, 70, 110, 60 by week. Teams who can churn out a consistent 50-60 with their lead back always end up fighting for the playoffs, regardless of who else they have.

This team has the passing game, the defensive capability and, surprisingly this season, the special teams units to make some special things happen. If we could find that consistency on the ground, very little would be able to stop us on our way to the playoffs.
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

so you're a fan of third and long? We stuck with the run the whole first half vs a team with a stout d-line... And we're very lucky to get 10 points.

Until we have a competent o-line we should be running 60-65% of the time (plus)
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny3000 wrote:

Wut.

If you don't have a competent o-line how do you plan on running the ball? 60-65% of the time is pretty ridiculous for a team that can't run block.

I think we can all agree the line has been better at pass protection than run blocking as well.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny3000 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

so you're a fan of third and long? We stuck with the run the whole first half vs a team with a stout d-line... And we're very lucky to get 10 points.

I said a strong running game, not the one we have. I never said that we currently have a strong running game, but that we want a strong running game. Big difference.

Northland wrote:
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I'd love for our runs to be successful. They are not. And I don't want us passing 100% of the time. But the brain trust here gets their panties in a wad if we score and didn't run. The next series when we run and then punt, they still are not happy.

TO7 I here you re the highlighted portion of your post. It doesn't matter to me how we get in the end zone, but I think we are in agreement that we need a consistent running game.
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
Kenny3000 wrote:

Wut.

If you don't have a competent o-line how do you plan on running the ball? 60-65% of the time is pretty ridiculous for a team that can't run block.

I think we can all agree the line has been better at pass protection than run blocking as well.
i mis-typed. it should have read: "passing"
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny3000 wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
Kenny3000 wrote:

Wut.

i mis-typed. it should have read: "passing"

Ahhh. That makes sense then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: