Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My "I concede the season mock draft"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: My "I concede the season mock draft" Reply with quote

Steelers extend Ben, Troy, and Ike to clear up significant cap space. This should clear about 16 million. I expect a few other moves to clear up cap space. Possible extension for Pouncey would clear space. Restructure Brown. Miller should be addressed, either a small extension to reduce his cap hit or a paycut. Cut Foote.

There are a few other guys barely worth mentioning, but:
Emmanuel Sanders: Walks
Ziggy Hood: Sign
Jason Worilds: Walks
Felix Jones: Sign
Al Woods: Sign
Ryan Clark: Walks
Brett Keisel: Walks
Jerricho Cotchery: Sign
Jonathan Dwyer: Sign
David Johnson: Sign

Steelers would have about 45+ guys under contract for next season, and about 8+ million left in cap space we'll say. They need about 3m for the rookies.

I think this may be the year they make a splash in FA. Everyone is going to be coaching, playing, or scouting for their jobs (Colbert). They don't have time to screw around with rookies on the OL. The team signs:
Brandon Albert.

that gives the team Albert, Gilbert, Adams, Pouncey, Velasco, Beachum, Decastro, and Foster plus maybe one other body. Whimper or Wallace, possibly.

The team receives comp picks in R3, and another for Lewis in R5. Steelers as of now are picking around 5.

R1 - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: Reminds of Plaxico, which is good and bad. He's used to playing with a mobile QB who likes to move around. I'm not sure if he has the speed to outrun defenders at the next level at all. I'm more sold on targeting a WR, but don't have my mind set on the guy. Sounds stupid, but its early.

R2 - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: He has all the tools to be a shutdown guy, and hopefully his 'down' year lets him slide. He's physical, a ballhawk, can play man/zone, he has the OSU connection Lebeau loves. Character flags seem minor to me.

R3 - Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee: He plays a little high, but he has the natural strength to where I think he could play day 1 in the NFL. Maybe not for Lebeau, but...Team could stand to get stronger in the middle of the defense, bring McLendon off the bench as a role player on passing downs and as an extra DE. I thought about Shayne Skov here, but I'm holding out hope for Williams.

R4 - Xavier Grimble, TE, ND: Big TE who can run. Been stuck in a mess at USC this year.

R5 - Avery Patterson, FS, Oregon: A converted CB with great athleticism and ballhawking ability.

R5 - James Gayle, OLB, Virgina Tech: A redo on Worilds. Perhaps a more complete player, if not quite the athlete.

R6 - Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin: Good steady football player who probably slides due to his size. Makes plays, sticks his nose in fearlessly against the run.

R7 - Keon Lyn, CB, Syracuse: Hits, and has some of the tools.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My "I concede the season mock draft" Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Steelers extend Ben, Troy, and Ike to clear up significant cap space. This should clear about 16 million. I expect a few other moves to clear up cap space. Possible extension for Pouncey would clear space. taking a pick for him would clear more space Restructure Brown. Miller should be addressed, either a small extension to reduce his cap hit or a paycut. Cut Foote. you forgot about signing Velasco

There are a few other guys barely worth mentioning, but:
Emmanuel Sanders: Walks
Ziggy Hood: Sign to backup money? Ok. To starter money? Hell no.
Jason Worilds: Walks sign for backup $$$, just like Hood. As it stands, he's really no worse than Jarvis Jones unfortunately
Felix Jones: Sign
Al Woods: Sign
Ryan Clark: Walks
Brett Keisel: Walks
Jerricho Cotchery: Sign
Jonathan Dwyer: Sign
David Johnson: Sign why?

I think this may be the year they make a splash in FA. Everyone is going to be coaching, playing, or scouting for their jobs (Colbert). They don't have time to screw around with rookies on the OL. The team signs:
Brandon Albert. you got jokes. Razz I'd love it, but we can't do it without getting rid of Pouncey. He is going to break the bank and we are going to idiotically pay him whatever he wants

that gives the team Albert, Gilbert, Adams, Pouncey, Velasco, Beachum, Decastro, and Foster plus maybe one other body. Whimper or Wallace, possibly.

The team receives comp picks in R3, and another for Lewis in R5. Steelers as of now are picking around 5.

R1 - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: Reminds of Plaxico, which is good and bad. He's used to playing with a mobile QB who likes to move around. I'm not sure if he has the speed to outrun defenders at the next level at all. I'm more sold on targeting a WR, but don't have my mind set on the guy. Sounds stupid, but its early.

R2 - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: He has all the tools to be a shutdown guy, and hopefully his 'down' year lets him slide. He's physical, a ballhawk, can play man/zone, he has the OSU connection Lebeau loves. Character flags seem minor to me.

R3 - Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee: He plays a little high, but he has the natural strength to where I think he could play day 1 in the NFL. Maybe not for Lebeau, but...Team could stand to get stronger in the middle of the defense, bring McLendon off the bench as a role player on passing downs and as an extra DE. I thought about Shayne Skov here, but I'm holding out hope for Williams.

R4 - Xavier Grimble, TE, ND: Big TE who can run. Been stuck in a mess at USC this year.

R5 - Avery Patterson, FS, Oregon: A converted CB with great athleticism and ballhawking ability.

R5 - James Gayle, OLB, Virgina Tech: A redo on Worilds. Perhaps a more complete player, if not quite the athlete.

R6 - Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin: Good steady football player who probably slides due to his size. Makes plays, sticks his nose in fearlessly against the run.

R7 - Keon Lyn, CB, Syracuse: Hits, and has some of the tools.

a few points in red. Definitely like some of your picks too. Borland is a beast thumper, isn't he? Smile
ironcurtain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Watkins over Evans, but otherwise I really like this draft. Don't think big Dan will last until the third though.
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironcurtain wrote:
I'd rather have Watkins over Evans

Why?
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd rather have Watkins over Evans, but otherwise I really like this draft. Don't think big Dan will last until the third though.

We'll see on McCullers. Big guys like that are a bit out of vogue right now. I think Watkins is a more 'sure' thing than Evans. A superior athlete. Evans has the size this team hasn't had since Burress, though. I'm not enamored with either.

Quote:
you got jokes. Razz I'd love it, but we can't do it without getting rid of Pouncey. He is going to break the bank and we are going to idiotically pay him whatever he wants

Extending Pouncey actually saves money against the cap for next year. It's not really something I'm fond of, but I do think the team does it. I really do think that with his job on the line Colbert may be a bit more aggressive. And next year it definitely will be on the line.

Quote:
David Johnson: Sign why?

Mainly because he should come cheaper than Spaeth, and there's no one else behind Miller. After another injury, it may be unlikely. I'd rather sign him and Palmer and cut the big stiff.

Quote:
Ziggy Hood: Sign to backup money? Ok. To starter money? Hell no.
Jason Worilds: Walks sign for backup $$$, just like Hood. As it stands, he's really no worse than Jarvis Jones unfortunately

I sign Hood to something like 3 or 4 years at 10-13 mil. Worilds? I just can't see it being worth it. Jones is going to have that spot regardless of what he does because of his draft status, and Woodley's contract precludes doing anything on that front. I don't even think Worilds is worth the kind of contract Victor Butler got last year, and I'm betting he'll look for more money than that even if he won't get it. He knows he isn't going to get much of a shot in Pittsburgh to start from here on out.

Quote:
you forgot about signing Velasco

Had this in at some point, and lost it in reorganizing the free agents. To me, it's a must. I'd prefer shifting Pouncey to guard next year and giving him a look there for another year. I have to think they re-sign him after his play, but their OL decisions...?

Quote:
Borland is a beast thumper, isn't he?

He definitely hits, and not a bad athlete. At the worst I think his mentality would work on special teams.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be absolutely ecstatic if those first three picks came to fruition.

I would let Hood walk though. I don't see any reason to bring him back even as a backup.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that entire mock. I think Roby is absolutely overrated. I don't think Evans is going to be in the NFL what he has turned into in college.

McCullers isn't the top DT in the draft, not even close.

You realize Xavier Grimble is in USC right, not ND? Wink Arthur Lynch would fit our offense SO much better.

Kenny Ladler, now there's a FS option.

Why would we want a redo of Worilds? And lack of athleticism is our biggest issue.

Chris Borland..okay, I like that pick.

Keon Lyn, eh..It's the 7th round so w/e.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think that's why I have him going in the 3rd round, and really the late part at that. I don't see a plethora of 3-4 NT prospects, and few have his body of work against SEC competition.

Quote:
I think Roby is absolutely overrated

Roby has absolutely elite physical tools. You can call him overrated if you want, he flies around the field. He's going to time ridiculously fast, and he plays it. Add that to his physicality. That's the sort of guy who, with the right coaching, is going to be a star in any scheme. Roby is my favorite pick.

Quote:
I don't think Evans is going to be in the NFL what he has turned into in college.

Neither do I. But for that matter, what's Watkins going to be, and who are the better options for this team at that draft slot? Go with another pass rusher? The team needs a physical presence outside.

Quote:

You realize Xavier Grimble is in USC right, not ND? Wink Arthur Lynch would fit our offense SO much better.

First, I would hope that the system is different next year. I think Grimble is the superior receiver. Lynch is a very good blocker, though. It's not a weakness of his, though, either. They aren't drastically different.

Quote:
Why would we want a redo of Worilds? And lack of athleticism is our biggest issue.

A redo as in on the pick, a comment made merely because they share the same school.

Quote:
Kenny Ladler, now there's a FS option.

He's not going to last until the 5th round.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CK, I can live with your responses. I agree as well, Ladler won't last til the 5th round.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

I sign Hood to something like 3 or 4 years at 10-13 mil. 4 years @ $10 mil? No thank you.

Jones is going to have that spot regardless of what he does because of his draft status sadly, this is true
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

I sign Hood to something like 3 or 4 years at 10-13 mil. 4 years @ $10 mil? No thank you.

Jones is going to have that spot regardless of what he does because of his draft status sadly, this is true

Totally missed the comment about Hoods' contract. If he gets that kind of money Colbert needs to be punched in the mouth.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

Totally missed the comment about Hoods' contract. If he gets that kind of money Colbert needs to be punched in the mouth.

4 years at 10 million isnt that bad.

And while Hood isnt great, you could do worse.

It all comes down to guaranteed money....I could handle giving him that much with maybe 4 million guaranteed. Keep him for two years...and if we find something better, move on.

We cant afford to lose both Keisel and Hood. We just cant. We have nothing else beyond them, and no, please dont say Al Woods.

I wouldnt never give Hood a huge contract, but that really isnt that much. I know some wont like the idea, but we dont have alot of options.

Might be a moot point though since I think someone in FA will overpay.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I think Roby is absolutely overrated. I don't think Evans is going to be in the NFL what he has turned into in college.

I agree with all of this.

Robey is laughably overrated. I wouldnt touch him with a top 100 pick.

Evans I like, but no way as a top 10 or 15 pick.

McCullers is just meh. Okay for college, but his size doesnt translate well at all to the NFL.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Evans I like, but no way as a top 10 or 15 pick.

People get into this line of thought every year. Deandre Hopkins supposedly wasn't worth a 1st rounder last year on this forum. Neither was Patterson. Anyone who thought Hopkins was a reach has quickly forgotten about that line of thought. If a guy can play, he can play. Evans is likely a top 10 guy. In this scenario, the team has signed a LT in FA. Who else should they take? Another pass rusher? If someone doesn't think Evans pans out, I can understand that. Saying he doesn't fit some perceived value you should get at the pick is unrealistic.

Quote:

Robey is laughably overrated. I wouldnt touch him with a top 100 pick.

I really hope NFL teams take this view and he slides. I haven't heard an actual critique of anything. He had a bad game at first glance and people are ignoring not only his larger body of work, but his tremendous athleticism. And unlike most guys you say that about, he's a football player who loves to hit people. He's going to time fast, and he plays like it. His acceleration is top notch. I'm willing to bet just about any DB coach would be drooling over the chance to work with a guy that possesses his skills, instincts and intensity.

It reminds me of Woodley being a 2nd rounder because he supposedly had a poor bowl game against USC. OSU came out playing the run against Wisconsin and slept on the passing game.

If people want athleticism and playmaking in the secondary, Roby possesses both qualities.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a big Evens supporter I will say his talent and experience puts him in the mid-20's as a draft pick. Right where Patterson went. Evens will take a full year to get be viable. But he is the only one with potential to be a solid #1 WR in the 1st round.

Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief and Cody Hoffman are perhaps the most NFL ready of the WR.

Woodley was a 2nd rounder because he was a tweener. 250 lb LDE

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: