Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Halfway Point: Checking in on Player Performances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Halfway Point: Checking in on Player Performances Reply with quote

Not trying to steal jf4l51's thunder with the thread he will post later, but I just wanted to look at the stat lines and performances of the players on this team through 8 games. Multiply these stat lines by two to get what these players are on pace to achieve this season.

Geno Smith
150/253 (59.3%), 1,882 yards, 8 TD, 13 INT; 30 rushes, 154 yards, 2 TD

Here are how some other QBs performed as rookies...
Mark Sanchez (2009): 196/364 (53.8%), 2,444 yards, 12 TD, 20 INT
Andy Dalton (2011): 300/516 (58.1%), 3,398 yards, 20 TD, 13 INT
Joe Flacco (2008): 257/428 (60%), 2,971 yards, 14 TD, 12 INT
Ryan Tannehill (2012): 282/484 (58.3%), 3,294 yards, 12 TD, 13 INT
Eli Manning (2004; 9 games): 95/197 (48.2%), 1,043 yards, 6 TD, 9 INT
Matthew Stafford (2009; 10 games): 201/377 (53.3%), 2,267 yards, 13 TD, 20 INT

Geno stacks up pretty damn well. He is on pace to pass all of them in passing yards and all but Flacco in completion percentage. He is on pace to pass all but Dalton in TDs, although Stafford may have surpassed that total had he played a full season. However, Geno is on pace to throw more interceptions than all of those other QBs, sans an extrapolated Stafford.

Bilal Powell
100 carries, 385 yards (3.9 YPC), 1 TD; 19 catches, 157 yards

Powell's stats may not jump off the page, but he has really been a solid player. He has solid speed and solid strength, but is not great in either regard. He gets by on elite vision and always falling forward. He'll never be a star, but he can really do a fine job in the role he has in this offense.

Stephen Hill
23 receptions, 330 yards, 1 TD, 1 drop

Hill's production is a bit misleading since he was injured on the first passing attempt of the game against the Titans. His production has basically come in 7 games.

Has Hill improved? Yes. Has he shown signs of living up to his potential? Yes. Is he still raw? Yes. Is he a finished product? No.

Jeremy Kerley
7 games, 27 receptions, 346 yards, 2 TD

Kerley continues to emerge as one of the best slot receivers in the NFL and one of the best third down weapons in the NFL. He has found a great role in this offense and can be looked at as a long-term option out of the slot. We should look to sign him to an extension this offseason.

Jeff Cumberland
17 receptions, 248 yards, 2 TD

Jeff Cumberland is a solid receiving TE. He is never going to be a huge star, but he shouldn't be overlooked as a weapon in this offense. He can hold down the fort as a starter, but I think we would be better suited having him in a 2-TE set with a guy like Eric Ebron or Jace Amaro next year.

Muhammad Wilkerson
30 tackles, 7 sacks, 10 TFL, 2 FF, 1 INT

#beast #DPOY

Sheldon Richardson
37 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 7 TFL, 1 FF

Sheldon is a monster. He should be the favorite to win DROY at this point.

Quinton Coples
6 games, 13 tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 FF

Welp. Let's hope it's the ankle that is slowing him down. He has performed better in the last two games (the source for his sack, FF, and 9 of his 13 tackles), but he still seems like he is not fully at the level we expect him to be at. Let's hope we see some serious improvement in the second half from Coples.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prety much agree with everything you said. I was hoping you did Demario Davis.

I've been using Brees 3rd year numbers to compare to Geno's because they both try to spread the ball around. The biggest difference is Brees has experience and weapons around him. I'm starting to think if we create a similar surrounding, Geno will be really good in a few years.

Hill should have a good year next season once when Geno trains with him & have a year under his belt. I don't see why Hill can't become as good as Mike wallace was with Pitt.

Powell was one of those WTF picks for me. Wasn't a fan of his. But he has earned my respect over the years with his tough running. He's a solid option.

We need to get the Ball to kerley more.

Cumberland would make a great #2 TE to a probowl caliber TE.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerley is not a top slot receiver in the game and for those who are wonder Geno's numbers in a 16 game in season would look like 3764 15/26 300 4tds

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

green24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Kerley is not a top slot receiver in the game and for those who are wonder Geno's numbers in a 16 game in season would look like 3764 15/26 300 4tds

He is continuing to emerge as one. I would not put him ahead of guys like Welker, Cruz, and Wayne right now.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
teamorange wrote:

He is continuing to emerge as one. I would not put him ahead of guys like Welker, Cruz, and Wayne right now.

Or Cobb, Holmes, Harvin, Colston (or if Sproles/Graham line up there), Danny A., Boldin

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

green24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
green24 wrote:
teamorange wrote:

Or Cobb, Holmes, Harvin, Colston (or if Sproles/Graham line up there), Danny A., Boldin

Not sure if I would consider Holmes a slot receiver. Plus, I'm not so sure he's better than Kerley at this point.
JMG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what teamorange says, Kerley is one of the best #3 WRs in the NFL. No question about that.

[]_[] Family
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
Regardless of what teamorange says, Kerley is one of the best #3 WRs in the NFL. No question about that.
When I think of the best slot receivers I think of Victor Cruz and Wes Welker...

When I think of Jeremy Kerley and I love Kerley, I don't think of putting Kerley in the same breath as those guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want about Kerley and no I don't consider him one of the best slot guys. He is very good though just not the best.

He is however one of the best at moving the chains on third down and that's a fact. Plus he's getting all the attention now since we have no other reliable weapons unlike some of those other guys.

Props to Mack on the sig
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Green!!

I personally love what Hill can potentially give us and obviously Kerley is a good slot receiver I just don't see them ever being top weapons and good enough to build an offense around. I would love to see us get two wide receivers in the summer and have a core of Hill, Kerley, Nelson (a 1st round pick ) and either another pick (top 4 rounds) plus a new tightend to partner Cumberland. That will give Geno multiple weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
JMG wrote:
When I think of the best slot receivers I think of Victor Cruz and Wes Welker...

When I think of Jeremy Kerley and I love Kerley, I don't think of putting Kerley in the same breath as those guys.
I don't think he's there yet, but I think he is growing into a player that can be a top 3-5 slot receiver in the NFL.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:

Right. The guy who has yet to ever eclipse 1000 yards, the guy who can barely get 50 receptions in a year, the guy who has never gotten more than 5 tds in a season, the guy who has never taken over a game and won it for the Jets, the guy who is pretty fumble prone is one of the best in the game.

He's an average player with above average potential and there are plenty of people like him in the NFL who never improve (see Nate Washington)

I don't.

GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerley is a good serviceable slot receiver for us, but let's not overrate him. One of the best slot guys in the league? I really doubt it. Our offensive skill positions are THAT bad.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with orange on this. I like Kerley and hes stepped up and makes a lot of plays for us, but hes not a top slot receiver. We just love him because hes OUR guy. Teams are no game planning to stop jeremy kerley lol.

I still think Hill needs to really step up. Theres potential there obviously but it still isnt translating to the field. He has to be able to run routes other than the 9.

Geno has been a mixed bag. Love the potential, and hes looked really good in some games, but hes looked atrocious in most of our loses and thats a problem. Way too Jekyl and Hyde. We need to really surround him with a better supporting cast though. THe offensive line has been terrible and we literally have no play makers on offense outside of Kerley.

I dont think I even need to mention MO. Guy is a beast. Sheldon has been excellent too. Coples still looks lost. Why cant we ever hit on edge rushers?

Theres a decent foundation here, and I admit I think we were all spoiled from a 4-3 start and yesterday was a real reality check. Theres still a ton of holes on this team and even the defense needs more help. I think were in the right direction going forward and I expect us to be a tough team going forward but this might take more time to get us back to being one of the top teams in the AFC.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think Kerley played good enough to have 1,000+ yards last season, but the QB play was horrible. I have him as a top 10 slot WR. Most of the top slots in the league have great QB's throwing them the ball. Remember Welker was nothing but a kick off returner during his time in Miami. There is a lot that factors in when judging best slot WR's including QB's & systems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: