Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Larry Fitzgerald Trade Could Be In Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones is a ILB/OLB, never really was ILB for FSU, just rotated in when necessary

He is playing 4-3 DE atm for the Noles and is rushing the passer alot

Last year he was 4-3 OLB, Vince Williams (now with Steelers) was ILB, so really he isnt replacing DW or Minter, he is on the edge.

Hence why i loved it so much.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmPacman wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
IAmPacman wrote:
My ideal draft for the Cards if we did have 2 first round picks would be:

1. OT Cameron Erving
1. OG Gabe Jackson
2. ILB Christian Jones (him next to D Wash would become a better MLB tandem than Bowman and Willis)

Love this, Love this, Love this, oh soo much

That is unnecessary and almost a waste of picks. Why take an ILB when we have Washington, Minter, and Brinkley. Washington is elite obviously, Brinkley was great against the run when playing, and Minter was a 2nd round pick last yr for a reason, Also it is possible that Dansby gets resigned after this season bc he's been great.

Gabe Jackson is a great player but is it really necessary to draft another guard after drafting Cooper last season. The oline is an issue but is it really necessary to take 2 offensive lineman in round 1 after taking one last yr. Just by drafting one left tackle and getting Cooper back from injury is a huge improvement. Watford was also drafted to be groomed into that role; he is raw but has a lot of potential with his power and athleticism.

This is just ignoring needs.

I know I'm aware we took Minter in the 2nd round last season and Dansby has been playing well and Brinkley is a capable starter if need be but I just think he is that elite ILB of the future to be paired up next to D Wash. We get a few more years out of Dansby and Minter can also come in from time to time. Also it's worth noting that Christian Jones could be converted to an OLB. On some sites he's even listed as an OLB but I think he would be a better fit at ILB. I just feel like Christian Jones is one of those types of players that while he may not play a position that is a primary need he is just that good of a player that it is hard to pass up on him. Kinda like when the Cards took PP a few years ago even though they had bigger needs. BPA right Wink

Cards took Peterson bc they were gonna trade DRC to PHI. Minter was very highly rated and has has not been given a chance to even prove himself bc of the talent ahead of him; there is a logjam at ILB. There is no need for another OG that high with Cooper coming back and the development of Watford. LT is a need and a huge one at that so I do agree that an LT should be taken very highly if not Round 1. Other than that there are needs at OLB, SS, TE, and QB so there are bigger concerns. I know the whole BPA thing should be taken into account but it is useless if the player is would be on the sidelines. There's no point in drafting an ILB when there are already 4 very capable ones (3 under contract). I believe in BPA at a position of greater need; what this means if you don't prioritize taking a specific position in a specific round to fill a need, you instead evaluate the needs and take the best player of all the positions. For example the needs are OLB, SS, TE: when picking you take the best player of the positions combined.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watford is a project, hasnt played a down, coaching staff says he needs work

So that means he isnt starting in 2014

We have Cooper back, but he is a rookie coming off injury, so OG is a need as Colledge is getting cut and Fanika is a backup, not a starter.
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Jones is a ILB/OLB, never really was ILB for FSU, just rotated in when necessary

He is playing 4-3 DE atm for the Noles and is rushing the passer alot

Last year he was 4-3 OLB, Vince Williams (now with Steelers) was ILB, so really he isnt replacing DW or Minter, he is on the edge.

Hence why i loved it so much.

Idk seems to me he just fits better as an ILB than an OLB. He's so good in coverage and really takes the best path to the ball carrier. I don't feel like he is that strong of a pass rusher but when put at ILB on a blitz through the A-Gap he could get the kind of pressure D Wash gets by doing that.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:

We have Cooper back, but he is a rookie coming off injury, so OG is a need as Colledge is getting cut and Fanika is a backup, not a starter.

I agree with this. I think guard should be a priority. I'd like one in the 2nd or 3rd round. If either Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson drop to the 2nd, you HAVE to take them.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add in Yankey from Stanfod and you are fine.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

I agree with this. I think guard should be a priority. I'd like one in the 2nd or 3rd round. If either Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson drop to the 2nd, you HAVE to take them.

Not gonna happen. Cards only take an OG in the first 2 rounds once every 7 years Wink

But seriously, I agree that we have to pull the trigger on either of those two guys if they are available in the 2nd. They are 1st round talents.

But I disagree that OG is a priority. I also firmly believe Cooper is gonna step in right away once he's recovered and be the stud he is supposed to be. Bone breaks usually heal well without any residual complications.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see how OG is a priority. Just by getting Cooper back that is a huge improvement. Maybe you all are forgetting that he was taken at #7. No guard had been taken top 10 since 1997 which speaks volumes about Cooper. Watford really wont need more than one year to develop; with the amount of reps that young players get now, he should be ready by 2014.

Jones is also not much of an edge rusher which is what we need.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
I still don't see how OG is a priority. Just by getting Cooper back that is a huge improvement. Maybe you all are forgetting that he was taken at #7. No guard had been taken top 10 since 1997 which speaks volumes about Cooper. Watford really wont need more than one year to develop; with the amount of reps that young players get now, he should be ready by 2014.

How do you know for sure that Watford will develop in just one year? Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like his progression has been that highly talked about by the Cards front office thus far.

Anyways ok let's say we don't need an OG, would you still be onboard with the Cards taking 2 OTs high in the draft? Considering how atrocious both sides have been it would be really great to 2 tackles of the future taken in the draft.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:

I should have clarified. Cooper is 100% going to be our starter at LG but I think it's 50/50 if Colledge is back next year because of his salary/play. Also by priority I meant if the value is there in the early rounds (ie Richardson, Jackson, Yankey in 2nd). Reaching for a guard is unnecessary.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Winston is leaving (which could happen), what about Massie?

Is anyone we draft for RT an upgrade there?

There are some players around who could fit RT, I like Richardson from Tenn as a RT, not as a LT.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmPacman wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:

How do you know for sure that Watford will develop in just one year? Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like his progression has been that highly talked about by the Cards front office thus far.

Anyways ok let's say we don't need an OG, would you still be onboard with the Cards taking 2 OTs high in the draft? Considering how atrocious both sides have been it would be really great to 2 tackles of the future taken in the draft.

You're right that we don't know how Watford is coming along, but with the amount of reps young players get he should be ready by 2014. I would only take a LT within the 1st two rounds (probably 1st). I dont think its necessary to take a RT early when they have Massie who we all saw progress greatly in the 2nd half of last season. I know he was benched for Winston but you can see that he is coming more into favor with the staff bc now he is active and even playing some. He just needed to cut down on mental errors.

Would anybody be disappointed with this next season?:

Erving-Cooper-Sendlein-Watford-Massie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be

RG is still a hole for me.

Really 2 rookies on the left side as well.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
I would be

RG is still a hole for me.

Really 2 rookies on the left side as well.

I still have faith in Massie as a long term fixture at RT.

Watford is the unknown. If a top talent at guard falls then you take him. If it's somebody you don't think will be better than don't.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have way too many glaring needs before we get to guard. College and Fanaika are serviceable, they'll do before we get to guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: