Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Mock Offseason, v1.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
Everyone seems to be uncomfortable with the Henne contract, but it's market value. The "cheap route" with a backup quarterback is either pulling another Garrard and picking up some guy on the really cheap that you don't even know if he can hold up in real games anymore, or you draft a quarterback late to develop as the backup. Those are the cheap options. If you want a quarterback with starting experience that can actually effectively platoon for a few games if the starter has to miss time, you've got to pay for that.

Like I said in the original post, a big time TE is arguably more important than a #1 receiver. He's harder to take out of games, the bigger mismatch, and for an offense predicated on downfield strikes a top tight end's ability to draft coverage gives more one-on-one opportunities on the outside. In signing a receiver, AND extending Kerley, I'm not going to draft a receiver in the first round. Hill needs to be shown more faith. He's just as well a sleeping giant as he is a receiver who hasn't quite put it together yet.

And in general, the goal of this offseason is to build around the quarterback. There's nothing more important than that. In this scenario we've got a young quarterback who has shown talent, we've got a deep threat, a possession receiver, a reliable and shifty slot receiver who does his best work on third downs, a first round talent at tight end, and an explosive pass catcher out of the backfield. We've got a lot of different ways to attack a defense and open up games. If you take our current squad, put more talent in every skill position, and hope with a year of experience Smith cuts out his turnovers, this team would be the favorite to win the division. Smith is dealing with a lot of adversity and he's taking it all in stride. If we get him a core of legitimately talented players, his growth even going into his sophomore campaign could be exponential.

I understand your logic, but TE has become like RB, you can easily strike gold in later rounds.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:

Like I said in the original post, a big time TE is arguably more important than a #1 receiver. He's harder to take out of games, the bigger mismatch, and for an offense predicated on downfield strikes a top tight end's ability to draft coverage gives more one-on-one opportunities on the outside. In signing a receiver, AND extending Kerley, I'm not going to draft a receiver in the first round. Hill needs to be shown more faith. He's just as well a sleeping giant as he is a receiver who hasn't quite put it together yet.

The difference is you can find value for RB/WR later in the draft. The value drops off pretty hard for Dlinemen (we good in that area), OLB, safety, WR and QB. Having a good TE can be a mismatch but it is also how you use him. I don't think Graham or Gronk would have the same impact if they were drafted on other teams but the Saints/Patriots know how to use them.

I also think we should explore drafting another QB early. Geno has look decent for a rookie but he hasn't come across as that franchise talent that you see with a Luck/Wilson or even that possible franchise guy you saw with Cam Newton/RG3/Matt Ryan. He's closer to Sanchez than he is to Luck, if we go three more years and he isn't our guy I'd like to have someone waiting to possibly take over than have to go through the process again. And drafting two QBs early isn't a new thing, you had Troy Aikman/Steve Walsh. We shouldn't draft a QB to just draft one but if we see a guy we like we should think about it.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Very nice overall, and probabaly the most realistic mock offseason I have seen. I really like Maclin, and I would love if we added Ebron in the draft. I was one who really wanted us to grab Eifert this past year, so I am def on the Ebron bandwagon. I never have given thought to a guy like Stevie Brown, but he could be a good alternative to some of the pricier safeties out there.

Do you think Henne would work out in a Marty wc system? I have no problem with paying a backup QB, just wondering if his style of play fits in here.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 64 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:

I understand your logic, but TE has become like RB, you can easily strike gold in later rounds.

I suppose that's true. But with Cumberland the only TE I retained with any playing experience, it's important that the TE that we draft is a good shout to start immediately. It's got to be a first or second rounder.

Quote:
Do you think Henne would work out in a Marty wc system? I have no problem with paying a backup QB, just wondering if his style of play fits in here.

In terms of a downfield passing attack, he's got the arm and has actually had 400 yard passing games before, as we know all about unfortunately.

As a backup quarterback he's pretty much got the same role he had when he was in Miami. Hand the ball off, move the ball through the air at times, keep mistakes to a minimum.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Ebron and signing Maclin makes that pick even more logical. I'd still prefer the 2nd round pick as a WR because Powell and Ivory are a good combo.

Love the Stevie Brown signing.

Pretty much how I would do things minus the 2nd round RB. But it's not a bad pick at all and you're reasoning is 100% correct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
jg6041 wrote:
How have those first round TEs panned out for us?
Keller?

And?
Love ya but proving my point. No TEs.
And if on my own, no WRS through 3 rounds.
Stupid but look at history. Its changed past 5 years.
We have drafted ahead of the curve. Ty Tanny.
We have left over weapons that are shot, yet have a shot at 8-8.
All D in draft, another Rook QB. Rex is still here. No one else would do it.
8-8 this season and we rock easy 11 wins next year.

Laughing , I get where you're coming from. The Jets over the years have not fared well in the TE dept. Kyle Brady?..Anthony Becht?.. The trade for Doug Jolley?

That being said, I can't argue with taking a TE if the value is there. Looking at the team the Jets just played, they have two of them you have to account for that were first rounders, while also having Green and Jones. Hard to defend multiple layers of threats.

While watching the games yesterday, me and my friends were also discussing how bad the Giants miss having a good TE, especially in the endzone. And of course, they have multiple weapons at WR.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you can't draft period, you're not going to draft good tight ends. Regardless of that history, it's not rooted in any logic and the only similarity between the organization then and the organization now is that they're called the New York Jets.

Quote:
That being said, I can't argue with taking a TE if the value is there. Looking at the team the Jets just played, they have two of them you have to account for that were first rounders, while also having Green and Jones. Hard to defend multiple layers of threats.

That's what I'm going for. Hill, Maclin, and Kerley as receivers all offer different things. We'll have a first round tight end and Cumberland, both capable as receiving threats. DeAnthony Thomas out of the backfield. We've got players capable all over the field.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Ebron is a fantastic talent, I can't see drafting a TE in the 1st and signing Maclin with the amount of top flight WR's that will be available in rounds 1 and 2 this year. It's much harder to find a top flight WR in the draft than a TE.

IMO, they have a chance to get a true #1 WR this year in round 1. They have to do it.

- Cliff Burton
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
While Ebron is a fantastic talent, I can't see drafting a TE in the 1st and signing Maclin with the amount of top flight WR's that will be available in rounds 1 and 2 this year. It's much harder to find a top flight WR in the draft than a TE.

IMO, they have a chance to get a true #1 WR this year in round 1. They have to do it.

But if it's so deep at WR, we should be able to get one in Round 2 right? I am fully on the Ebron bandwagon. I really like him athletically and I think he has the skills to become a great one at this level. I have no qualms with taking him in the first if he is there. I would still explore Maclin as well as adding another WR in the second or third round, because it's clear we need the depth.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 64 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: