Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Mock Offseason, v1.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: A Mock Offseason, v1. Reply with quote

After seven weeks we find ourselves at 4-3, and I think that’s overall a pretty good measure of where this team is. Our rookie quarterback has both shown reasons why he’s a rookie and why we drafted him; our defense has one of the legit standout talents in the league this year and he alongside one of the league’s top rookies is anchoring an elite run defense. The lack of depth in the secondary is also evident unfortunately as shown the past few weeks. We’ve both shown a penchant for some pretty good football and losing games ourselves, the struggles of bedding in a rookie quarterback and the joy of watching him put himself in the discussion for a 4000-yard season. The excitement of a team that can finally generate some pressure and the pain of watching a defense beat itself when numerous penalties. We’re talented but flawed, sometimes sloppy and occasionally brilliantly coached. Around .500 sounds about right.

There are holes on each side of the ball and this offseason will bring some work with it. Luckily, we’ve got plenty of picks and we’ve got money to spend if we choose to. We aren’t going to be able to fill them all though, so we’ve got to prioritize.

As said, we’re an incredibly inconsistent team. The Jets are a middle of the pack team in terms of record despite giving the opposition the ball at a rate more than almost any in the league and struggling to score points more than almost any team in the league. Simply, this is a team that isn’t winning consistently because we’re not scoring and taking care of the ball consistently. The side of the ball that requires the most work is obvious.

Step one in building an offense is to find the quarterback. It looks as if we’ve done so. The second step is to develop him – keep things consistent in terms of coaching around him and begin building an offense around him. 2014 is Geno Smith’s offseason.

This isn’t going to be an offseason that turns the team into Super Bowl contenders, but it’s the next step in making this team competitive again, and more importantly competitive every year. The teams that consistently win in the NFL are the ones that consistently score points. That’s where we’ve got to get this team. Playoffs in 2014 should be a realistic goal, pending good development from Smith himself and improvement of the team overall around him.

With that said, here’s how I would do things.

Before Free Agency

Salary Cap: 122 Million

Total Salaries: $99,621,921

2013 Space Carryover: 1,834,996

Cap Space: 24,213,075

Re-Signings

K Nick Folk – 2 Years, 2 million. 1m 2014 cap hit.

He’s been everything we’ve needed him to be so far, and has always come through in big moments.

DE Leger Douzable – 1 year, 600,000

Sure, why not.

OG Willie Colon – 1 year, 1.3 million.

A serviceable veteran who we should be looking to replace long term but will offer depth and has starting ability.

OT Austin Howard – 3 years, 10 million. 2.5 miilion 2014 hit.

He’s proven to be a lot better than Wayne Hunter and has had his moments. We keep him around on a deal as a starter yet one that also makes him cuttable in the future if he doesn’t continue to improve. My worry with Howard as a free agent is that other teams may value him more than what is offered and pay him as a better player than he is. If a team offers to pay him like a quality starter, we’ve got to let him go. We’ve got to properly manage value. We need to view “decent” players as replaceable with confidence that we can replace them.

TE Jeff Cumberland – 3 Years, 8 million. 2 million 2014 hit.

He’s been a useful target for Smith this season, and he’s certainly worth keeping around at the right value. He doesn’t solve the tight end problem, but as one of many weapons can be part of a productive offense.

LB Calvin Pace – 1 year, 1 million.

Depth. We’ve got to get better here, but there’s no harm bringing him into camp. He joins the team again with his opening day roster spot not at all guaranteed.

Extensions

DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 5 Years, 40 million, 20m guaranteed. 2014 Cap Hit increases 4m.

One hero leaves and another emerges. If there’s one priority, it’s locking up Wilkerson.

WR Jeremy Kerley – 4 years, 20 million, 5 million guaranteed. 2014 cap hit increases 4m.

I’ve been going back and forth on this. We’re looking at Kerley the third receiver and 5m annually is steep for that. With Kerley though, the best is yet to come, and keeping talent around Geno Smith is the priority. He will be cuttable in the future if that’s necessary, and that is infinitely better than just losing him outright in 2015.

Releases

QB Mark Sanchez – 8.3 million in cap savings

We all know this is happening.

WR Santonio Holmes – 8.25 million in cap savings

Time to move on. He’s been a bust since we committed to him long term and we’ve got to cut our losses.

RB Mike Goodson - 1,316,666 in cap savings

Goodson’s in trouble. The minute his legal trouble began, what could have been our most shrewd signing became a one-year rental. He won’t be back. He’s played his last game for the Jets, and possibly of pro football.

OG Caleb Schalauderaff - 645,000 in savings

I don’t think anyone has any issues with this.

New Cap Space: 27,324,741

Free Agency

We’ve got money, but we’ve got to be smart too. There is room to plug some holes, but we can't fix everything. Free agency spending should be dependent on opportunity, the crediting of unused space to future years awards teams that don’t spend for the sake of spending. The right players, the right value, the right time. The salary cap for next few years isn’t expected to increase, which is another reason to hold onto extra space if we can. The most important use of cap space is retaining our drafted players. With that said, there is some room to make some moves and making one big signing isn’t out of the question.

QB Chad Henne - 3 Years, 9 million. 2m 2014 cap hit.

Yeah. Chad Henne. The writing’s on the wall for his career starting prospects, but he’s the perfect backup. Accomplished enough for Geno to know he can’t skate by completely unchallenged, but not good enough for people to view him as a threat for the starting position. But he’s also good enough to have a few good performances if Smith goes down with an injury.

FS Stevie Brown – 2 Years, 8.5 million. 3m 2014 cap hit.

Brown’s misfortune can be the Jets gain. The Giants have Justin Tuck and Hakeem Nicks entering free agency as well and aren’t going to franchise Brown, and Brown coming off an ACL injury and having just one productive season to his name isn’t going to see a major deal. Brown can play in either safety spot and can add some turnovers to a defense that sorely needs it.

WR Jeremy Maclin - 4 Years, 30 million, 10 million guaranteed. 10m 2014 cap hit.

A potentially perfect fit, but some risk involved. He’s proven to be a good possession receiver that is still capable of explosive plays in Philadelphia and has played his entire career essentially in a Mornhinweg offense. He is, however, coming off another ACL injury and there will be questions on how well he could come back. Still at 25 years old however, he could just as well have his best football ahead of him. He’s a gamble, but by frontloading his contract (and paying him in year one what most teams probably wouldn’t), we can cut our losses should things not work out.

OG Jon Asamoah – 5 years, 23 Million, 6 million guaranteed. 3m 2014 cap hit.

The 25 year old has started a possible 37 of 39 games since taking over for Brian Waters in 2011. A 3rd round pick in 2010, Asamoah has always been pretty good at keeping his quarterback clean and is improving every year as a run blocker. The Chiefs would surely like to have Asamoah back, but will enter 2014 needing to make cuts to be under the cap and minimal unused space carryover. Asamoah is a good right guard that will play his best football for the Jets.

New Cap Space: 8,844,745

The Draft

For the sake of making this easy, we’ll say we finish 8-8 and have the 16th pick in the draft. Everyone has their own opinions on draft prospects, but at this point you’ll have to just judge me more on positions themselves and general value rather than debating specific players that much because at the moment I really don’t have the luxury of following college football and familiarizing myself with prospects like I used to. I’ve done some basic research, looking to identify players with certain traits we should be looking for as well. I’m not going to predict trades.

The Jets picks are as follows: 16th overall, 48th overall, 66th overall (a guess on Tampa having a top 3 pick finish), 80th overall, 112th overall, 144th overall, 176th overall, 208th overall.

Round 1(16th)

With the 16th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

The Jets lost a good receiver at tight end in Dustin Keller last year, but in a way it was for the best – at no more than an inch or two taller than 6 feet Keller was one of the smaller tight ends in the league and while his wrecking ball like size made him a threat with the ball in his hands, he lacked the height to be the true matchup nightmare NFL teams seek in a tight end. And to me, if there’s one thing the need to do Jets this offseason, its get Geno Smith a tight end that can be a difference maker for the next decade. Ebron has elite TE potential, possessing not only the natural size and athleticism but also is having the monster 2013 season to back it up. He seems to take his blocking seriously as well. An elite tight end is arguably more desirable than a #1 receiver – the tight end possesses problems for linebackers AND defensive backs, works the middle of the field and positionally is not restricted to one side or another, is a huge difference maker in the red zone and in drawing double teams keeps receivers in one-on-one matchups. The old adage “ a tight end is a young quarterbacks best friend” and all that.

Round 2

With the 48th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select DeAnthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

I’ve seen him mocked as high as the first round and as low as the third, but most big boards I’ve seen have him roughly in the mid-second round range. Tavon Austin has been used as a justification for taking Thomas in the first round, but while both players are categorized as RB/WR tweeners, Austin was much more WR than RB while the opposite can be said about Thomas. More importantly, Austin proved durability over a season where he was a #1 receiver in addition to being an occasional runner. Still, Thomas could very well be a first rounder and he’ll have plenty of hype in the draft process. For now though, I’m just going with what projections I’ve seen.

Some may consider this a luxury pick, but I don’t think that’s the case at all. Firstly, he rounds out the backfield nicely, giving the explosive element that Ivory and Powell don’t have. Secondly, the offense needs more explosive players. We’re not creating a lot of big plays. Thirdly, and most importantly, in the style of offense Mornhinweg runs a running back is routinely one of the team’s reception leaders. At the moment, it’s a missing piece. Thomas, being a natural receiver, would be a huge part of the offense, and would cap off nicely an offseason focused on giving Geno Smith more talent.

Round 3

With the 66th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Morgan Breslin, OLB, Southern California

The edge rusher still eludes this defense, and while the ascension of Wilkerson into one of the league’s best linemen and Richardson’s rookie of the year worthy campaign makes the team’s need for pressure less important, the Jets are going to need an edge rusher because we simply don’t have anybody else to play the position. We’re bringing back Pace on another one-year deal, but we’ve got to find our future. Breslin is a little undersized, but a natural athlete and pass rusher that should perform well in Rex Ryan’s defense.

With 80th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Tre Boston, DB, North Carolina

Boston’s got experience at both safety and corner. He’d be coming here as a long-term projection at safety but his versatility gives him an opportunity to find playing time immediately.

Day 3 Picks

Round 4, 112th overall – Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

Experienced in a 3-4 already, natural “thumper”. Could be groomed as an eventual starter.

Round 5, 144th overall – Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue

Rex likes corners.

Round 6, 176th overall – Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson

Depth on the offensive line.

208th overall – P Kirby van der Kamp

He’s got a great name. I bet he’s pretty good.

Depth Chart

This is what we’d be bringing into training camp; it’s not a final roster. You’ll notice an unrealistic amount of safeties off the bat. We can make the right cuts and we’ll gain a few million in cap space, with plenty of room to take advantage of any opportunities that come available through cuts or trade or to carry over at the end of the season.

Red denotes signings, Green denotes rookies

Quarterbacks: Geno Smith, Chad Henne, Matt Simms

Running Backs: Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, DeAnthony Thomas, Alex Green

Full Backs: T-Bo

Wide Receivers: Jeremy Maclin, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson, Clyde Gates, Greg Salas

Tight Ends: Eric Ebron, Jeff Cumberland, Zach Sudfeld

Offensive Linemen: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Brian Winters, Nick Mangold, Jon Asamoah, Austin Howard, Willie Colon, Brandon Thomas, Oday Aboushi, Benjamin Ijalana, Will Campbell

Defensive Linemen: Muhammad Wilkerson, Damon Harrison, Sheldon Richardson, Kenrick Ellis, Leger Douzable

Outside Linebackers: Quinton Coples, Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes, Morgan Breslin, Garrett McIntyre

Inside Linebackers: David Harris, DeMario Davis, Shayne Skov, Nick Bellore, Troy Davis

Cornerbacks: Antonio Cromartie, Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson, Darrin Walls, Ricardo Allen

Safeties: Antonio Allen, Stevie Brown, Dawan Landry, Tre Boston, Josh Bush, Jaiquawn Jarrett

Kicker: Nick Folk

Punters: Ryan Quigley, Kirby

Long Snapper: Tanner Purdum

I feel like this offseason accomplishes the most important goal – getting more explosive on offense and building around our young quarterback. We had needs on defense, and I feel like I made some solid moves, but the difference between league average and a team that could win the AFC East in this case is what is going on when the Jets have possession. It rests on Geno Smith essentially, but you’ve got to build around your young quarterback, and if he takes the next step - cutting out turnovers and playing more consistently, and utilizing the playmakers he now has, the Jets could be very, very good.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You took my 2nd round pick! lol Now I got to change mine up.

It seems Geno really like TE's, so drafting a great TE would make perfect since. He might be a little Cocky, but dude can play.

I don't think Goodson will be back either, so picking Thomas is very possible. He is someone who can take a 5 yard dump pass and turn it into a 80 TD. I think he'll be there in the 2nd round because of his size and type of system he is coming from.

Good signing on Brown. I forgot about him. He has range and is built like Rex's type of Safeties.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of new weapons for Geno, I like it. I would prefer to keep Josh Cribbs over Clyde Gates, but that's something tiny. I'm not sure we'd invest a second-round pick in an RB after trading a fourth-round pick for one, but I can see the reasoning. Good job overall though, I'd be really happy with this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A Mock Offseason, v1. Reply with quote

Good mock overall, however I do have some concerns.

Davey wrote:
DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 5 Years, 40 million, 20m guaranteed. 2014 Cap Hit increases 4m.
As much as I would love to extend Wilkerson for that price, I do not see it as realistic that we can get him for that cheap. Rich Cimini suggested recently that his AAV will likely end up being near the franchise level of $11.2 million per year. Recently, we have seen Geno Atkins and Calais Campbell sign extension worth around $11 million per season. Wilkerson is better than Campbell and he is approaching Atkins' level right now.

Quote:
QB Chad Henne - 3 Years, 9 million. 2m 2014 cap hit.

Yeah. Chad Henne. The writing’s on the wall for his career starting prospects, but he’s the perfect backup. Accomplished enough for Geno to know he can’t skate by completely unchallenged, but not good enough for people to view him as a threat for the starting position. But he’s also good enough to have a few good performances if Smith goes down with an injury.
I'm a Michigan fan, but I don't think Henne is really good enough to be paid that much money. He's can be a fine back-up, but I think better options can be had for possibly less money than this.

Quote:
FS Stevie Brown – 2 Years, 8.5 million. 3m 2014 cap hit.

Brown’s misfortune can be the Jets gain. The Giants have Justin Tuck and Hakeem Nicks entering free agency as well and aren’t going to franchise Brown, and Brown coming off an ACL injury and having just one productive season to his name isn’t going to see a major deal. Brown can play in either safety spot and can add some turnovers to a defense that sorely needs it.

WR Jeremy Maclin - 4 Years, 30 million, 10 million guaranteed. 10m 2014 cap hit.

A potentially perfect fit, but some risk involved. He’s proven to be a good possession receiver that is still capable of explosive plays in Philadelphia and has played his entire career essentially in a Mornhinweg offense. He is, however, coming off another ACL injury and there will be questions on how well he could come back. Still at 25 years old however, he could just as well have his best football ahead of him. He’s a gamble, but by frontloading his contract (and paying him in year one what most teams probably wouldn’t), we can cut our losses should things not work out.
Coming off a torn ACL, I would not give Brown this much money. He is a ballhawk, but I don't see him as much of a complete player. Maclin, also coming off a torn ACL, is not worth $7.5 million per season. Rather than paying $11.75 per season for Maclin and Brown, I'd rather pay something like $9.5 million per season for Jairus Byrd and then throw the remaining $2.25 million at a solid #4 WR.

Quote:
OG Jon Asamoah – 5 years, 23 Million, 6 million guaranteed. 3m 2014 cap hit.

The 25 year old has started a possible 37 of 39 games since taking over for Brian Waters in 2011. A 3rd round pick in 2010, Asamoah has always been pretty good at keeping his quarterback clean and is improving every year as a run blocker. The Chiefs would surely like to have Asamoah back, but will enter 2014 needing to make cuts to be under the cap and minimal unused space carryover. Asamoah is a good right guard that will play his best football for the Jets.
Love this signing.

Quote:
Round 2

With the 48th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select DeAnthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

I’ve seen him mocked as high as the first round and as low as the third, but most big boards I’ve seen have him roughly in the mid-second round range. Tavon Austin has been used as a justification for taking Thomas in the first round, but while both players are categorized as RB/WR tweeners, Austin was much more WR than RB while the opposite can be said about Thomas. More importantly, Austin proved durability over a season where he was a #1 receiver in addition to being an occasional runner. Still, Thomas could very well be a first rounder and he’ll have plenty of hype in the draft process. For now though, I’m just going with what projections I’ve seen.

Some may consider this a luxury pick, but I don’t think that’s the case at all. Firstly, he rounds out the backfield nicely, giving the explosive element that Ivory and Powell don’t have. Secondly, the offense needs more explosive players. We’re not creating a lot of big plays. Thirdly, and most importantly, in the style of offense Mornhinweg runs a running back is routinely one of the team’s reception leaders. At the moment, it’s a missing piece. Thomas, being a natural receiver, would be a huge part of the offense, and would cap off nicely an offseason focused on giving Geno Smith more talent.
I like DAT as a player, but I don't think we can really afford to spend a second round pick on a player that likely profiles as LaMichael James 2.0. DAT is electric, but we could probably get comparable production later in the draft or by not releasing Mike Goodson.

Quote:
Wide Receivers: Jeremy Maclin, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson, Clyde Gates, Greg Salas
CLYDE GATES? vomit.gif

#TeamManfred
RDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do like a lot of your ideas here. Stevie Brown can be a very good acquisition if he returned to his health. Im not a big fan of Chad Henne, its kind of to the point where i don't see what the difference between him and Brady Quinn would be when Quinn could come in for a year at a very low price. Id be more interested in grooming Simms and grabbing 2 quarterbacks in the draft and UDFA phase. Maybe even Garrard would stay and continue to mentor Geno as best he can. Maclin is a good signing especially if we get the cap hit in the first year which would obviously make cap room for future contracts to guys like richardson, davis, coples, etc. Maclin can be an injury prone guy but hes consistently been very good each year if he does stay healthy. The connection between MM and him will be key like you said.

As far as free agency goes the rest of the way, people may be surprised but i could really see DK coming back. Hes coming off a big injury and I am pretty sure he still resides in the New Jersey area. I could see it happening. In my mind tight end is something we shouldnt reach in the draft for, because I am pretty sure right now there is about 9 tight ends currently pegged to go in the 1-4 rounds.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone be opposed to breaking the bank for a guy like Brian Orakpo if he makes it to free agency.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it is likely that Wilk will sign for so low and I don't want Henne here for 3 years unless it is not guaranteed for the last year. And I hate the first two rounds of the draft. I'd rather look at OLB/WR/S/QB in those rounds than a RB/TE. I'd be pretty pissed if we went TE/RB in the first two rounds.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

jg6041

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have those first round TEs panned out for us?
Chad Henne? Please no.
Wilk , Folk, Howard, Cumberland, and Pace come back so cheap?
Nice job, I cannot do this at all Embarassed
Just do not see it happening.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
Keller?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this made me feel really optimistic about this team's future. We are going to continue to have a very good defense for the upcoming years and there is a lot of promise in our offense along with cap space and a good GM. We're going to be among the top teams in the AFC again pretty soon
jg6041

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
jg6041 wrote:
Keller?

And?
Love ya but proving my point. No TEs.
And if on my own, no WRS through 3 rounds.
Stupid but look at history. Its changed past 5 years.
We have drafted ahead of the curve. Ty Tanny.
We have left over weapons that are shot, yet have a shot at 8-8.
All D in draft, another Rook QB. Rex is still here. No one else would do it.
8-8 this season and we rock easy 11 wins next year.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would much rather take a first round WR then TE even with the Maclin signing. Maclin coming off injury is nowhere near enough of a upgrade at WR.

We also really dont need to draft a RB that high considering how crowded the backfield already is.

3 million a year for a back up such as Henne is 3 times too much. He should get no more than a million.

I personally think the Wilkerson deal is fair and might be more realistic than we think. Were used to giving out insane contracts because thats what tanny did. Look for Idzik to do a better job of getting home town discounts.

Kerley has been great for us, but I woulnd't give him 5 million a year for a slot receiver.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: A Mock Offseason, v1. Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Good mock overall, however I do have some concerns.

Davey wrote:
As much as I would love to extend Wilkerson for that price, I do not see it as realistic that we can get him for that cheap. Rich Cimini suggested recently that his AAV will likely end up being near the franchise level of $11.2 million per year. Recently, we have seen Geno Atkins and Calais Campbell sign extension worth around $11 million per season. Wilkerson is better than Campbell and he is approaching Atkins' level right now.

Ah, you're totally right.

I didn't even realize those players received extensions, well not Campbell at least. I didn't think to look at Atkins for precedent. We'd have to make the deal larger for sure, but I think it would still fit in.

Quote:
I'm a Michigan fan, but I don't think Henne is really good enough to be paid that much money. He's can be a fine back-up, but I think better options can be had for possibly less money than this.

Backup quarterbacks with starting experience get paid. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel and Matt Hasselbeck for example are on deals that average between 3.5 and 4 million a season. Henne on 3m a season is pretty much market value, could even be a little more than that.

Quote:
Coming off a torn ACL, I would not give Brown this much money. He is a ballhawk, but I don't see him as much of a complete player. Maclin, also coming off a torn ACL, is not worth $7.5 million per season. Rather than paying $11.75 per season for Maclin and Brown, I'd rather pay something like $9.5 million per season for Jairus Byrd and then throw the remaining $2.25 million at a solid #4 WR.

I try to account for the risk in the contract structure. We're not paying Brown a lot in his first year, or in guarantees in general. If he doesn't perform it doesn't actually cost the team much, if he does perform than we'll gladly pay him and probably look to negotiate something more long term.

Players like Maclin who have proven themselves over multiple seasons still tend to be paid when they reach free agency, albeit with contracts that protect the team in case of that situation. That's why I've front-loaded his deal.

Maclin ticks a lot of boxes. He's young, he's a proven productive player in a Mornhinweg offense, he's a possession receiver that Geno Smith can rely on, he's not going to cause problems. There is nothing that's more important than surrounding Geno Smith with talented offensive players this offseason. His development remains the most important thing for this franchise.

Quote:
I like DAT as a player, but I don't think we can really afford to spend a second round pick on a player that likely profiles as LaMichael James 2.0. DAT is electric, but we could probably get comparable production later in the draft or by not releasing Mike Goodson.

Releasing Goodson is not because I'm trying to clear space or I don't like him as a player, I was excited when we signed him. The guy is in trouble. Whenever the legal process plays out, and my understanding is that he was able to push it back just to play this season, he's in trouble. Not being on the Jets will be the least of his worries.

As for Thomas, he's a game changer and he'll be heavily utilized. In nearly all of his years in Philly, Mornhinweg's offense features a running back as either the leader or second on the team in receptions. It's an element the offense doesn't have and one Thomas brings, in addition to the home run ability and the special teams factor. The Jets were heavily interested in Tavon Austin and Thomas brings a similar skill set.

Quote:
CLYDE GATES? vomit.gif

I know, I know. Laughing But like I said, it's just what I would be bringing into camp.
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone seems to be uncomfortable with the Henne contract, but it's market value. The "cheap route" with a backup quarterback is either pulling another Garrard and picking up some guy on the really cheap that you don't even know if he can hold up in real games anymore, or you draft a quarterback late to develop as the backup. Those are the cheap options. If you want a quarterback with starting experience that can actually effectively platoon for a few games if the starter has to miss time, you've got to pay for that.

Like I said in the original post, a big time TE is arguably more important than a #1 receiver. He's harder to take out of games, the bigger mismatch, and for an offense predicated on downfield strikes a top tight end's ability to draft coverage gives more one-on-one opportunities on the outside. In signing a receiver, AND extending Kerley, I'm not going to draft a receiver in the first round. Hill needs to be shown more faith. He's just as well a sleeping giant as he is a receiver who hasn't quite put it together yet.

And in general, the goal of this offseason is to build around the quarterback. There's nothing more important than that. In this scenario we've got a young quarterback who has shown talent, we've got a deep threat, a possession receiver, a reliable and shifty slot receiver who does his best work on third downs, a first round talent at tight end, and an explosive pass catcher out of the backfield. We've got a lot of different ways to attack a defense and open up games. If you take our current squad, put more talent in every skill position, and hope with a year of experience Smith cuts out his turnovers, this team would be the favorite to win the division. Smith is dealing with a lot of adversity and he's taking it all in stride. If we get him a core of legitimately talented players, his growth even going into his sophomore campaign could be exponential.
jg6041

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and me are the total tools , so we are good.
Wilk may need more.
Kerley we are in total agreement .
But Tanny was no joke. When dispute the end of the world did Tanny let us down.

''''' Never''''' Tanny was good at CAP. Never.... were we in a bad situation..... never. Tanny was awesome. Please do not challenge me!!
I am tired but 15 years not wrong.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: