Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Importance of Wesley Woodyard to our Defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most Important Player on D (so far this year)
Wesley Woodyard
78%
 78%  [ 25 ]
Champ Bailey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kevin Vickerson
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Danny Trevathan
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Chris Harris
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Shaun Phillips
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
DRC
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Robert Ayers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Malik Jackson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Duke Ihenacho
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

The Helicopter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Importance of Wesley Woodyard to our Defense Reply with quote

I know there was a poll a few months back on the best players on the team, but having seen this years' team in action and what's happened with our defense I thought I'd bring it up, 7 games in.

There's also been talk (including by myself) that the loss of WW is having a big impact. So I'm curious to see how people in the forum feel about the players including who's performing and who's not.

So, on Defense...not the most important position, but the most important player. I intentionally left Von Miller off the list.

If I left your selection off the poll, my brain fart...please write them in...
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Defense doesn't have a heart and soul. I was crucified last week for saying Von Miller by himself wouldn't be able to change our terrible passing D. WW is important, but his impact isn't game changing either, he has been beaten multiple occasions in coverage.

Any good defense should function without 1 or 2 of their best players. Look at what the 9ers have been doing.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Von Miller (of course) the answer is Wesley Woodyard.

ihatepotholes wrote:
Our Defense doesn't have a heart and soul. I was crucified last week for saying Von Miller by himself wouldn't be able to change our terrible passing D. WW is important, but his impact isn't game changing either, he has been beaten multiple occasions in coverage.

Any good defense should function without 1 or 2 of their best players. Look at what the 9ers have been doing.

When you consider that his replacement is Paris Lenon, yes, he is a game changer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW calls the plays, checks alignments and assignments, in short our defensive QB. That has been terribly missed since he was injured.

He also fills almost a hybrid LB / Safety role. Something we've not been able to replace.
marktheshark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll speak for itself the type of impact WW has on this football team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodyard is the most important primarily because his backup is the worst. If Woodyard had a respectable backup at MLB then this would not be the case. It is why Von's absence didn't hurt the team that bad because Irving and Shaun Phillips took his role as the pass rusher/SLB.

There is a difference between most important and best. Woodyard is the most important but Miller is the best.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the awesome sig.
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChosen186 wrote:
Woodyard is the most important primarily because his backup is the worst. If Woodyard had a respectable backup at MLB then this would not be the case. It is why Von's absence didn't hurt the team that bad because Irving and Shaun Phillips took his role as the pass rusher/SLB.

There is a difference between most important and best. Woodyard is the most important but Miller is the best.

If he's the 'QB' of the defense then it's more than not having a backup. It also means that none of the other starters are capable of providing the leadership the defense needs for the team to make a serious playoff run. It reminds me a lot of Baltimore with Ray Lewis. The guy was old, slow, but he more than made up for it with his football IQ. Not sure Von will be able to fill this role and Nate Irving hasn't.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
TheChosen186 wrote:

If he's the 'QB' of the defense then it's more than not having a backup. It also means that none of the other starters are capable of providing the leadership the defense needs for the team to make a serious playoff run. It reminds me a lot of Baltimore with Ray Lewis. The guy was old, slow, but he more than made up for it with his football IQ. Not sure Von will be able to fill this role and Nate Irving hasn't.

Good points. He's the guy calling audibles for the defense, and adjusting formations. Way more valuable than just a physical presence.

IMO that's why we went to a lot of zone when he was hurt. JDR probably didn't feel he had a reliable signal caller on the field that understood the defense well enough to be anything but vanilla.

We'll find out when he returns.
TheChosen186

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
TheChosen186 wrote:

Except Ray Lewis was actually a liability in his final year with the Ravens. If you saw the Superbowl, you saw a guy do absolutely nothing and fail to make plays. People like to credit him because he is Ray Lewis and nothing more. They think the Ravens won the Superbowl because he danced in pre-games and not because Flacco was playing like Joe Montana out there. Ray was hurting the team more than not.

There is nothing I hate more than when people make up a bunch of intangibles to make a guy look better than what he is. Ray Lewis at the tail end of his career is the greatest example of this. He was dominant during his prime but he was really nothing special in his final years in the league.

If the backup MLB on this team was a halfway decent player like Jerod Mayo instead of Paris Lenon. Woodyard's absence wouldn't be that important since Mayo is a very good MLB himself.

When I said Woodyard is the QB of the defense, I say that because he makes the defensive play calls. A lot of MLBs can do the same, not just Woodyard. Woodyard does not have some magical power. Woodyard just isn't some giant scrub like Paris Lenon.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the awesome sig.
KC_Broncos_Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very important! Its a shame he hasnt been resigned yet
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:

Could I be so bold and say he's more important than Champ Bailey? Going forward, if we had to make cuts...
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:

Could I be so bold and say he's more important than Champ Bailey? Going forward, if we had to make cuts...

Nothing bold about that. He's far more important, not even close.

I think our performance this past Sunday emphasized that. Post game locker room player interviews were especially telling. Multiple players talked about how good it was having their "leader" back (their words, not mine)and how he elevated the entire "D".

C'mon FO, reward this guy. We've seen how we play without him and it's not pretty.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:

Miller, Knighton, Woodyard, Trev, DRC, Harris are all more important than Bailey.
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Von its Woodyard. D sucked without him his absence was so noticeable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:

Bailey isn't that important to this team anymore from an on-field standpoint.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: