Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Shanahan a HoF candidate?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Is Shanahan a HoF candidate? Reply with quote

Shanahan has 20 years of NFL experience, 169 regular season wins, and 2 Super Bowl wins as a HC. Is he worthy of Hall of Fame induction?

Interestingly, Ted Sundquist says 'no':
http://www.thefootballeducator.com/measuring-mike-shanahan-done-enough-hof-consideration/
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Absolutely not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say he's a lock.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
I would say he's a lock.

I would say you're wrong.

He did win 2 SBs, and obviously that's the biggest factor. However, he has had VERY limited success (at least in terms of playoff wins) outside of the Elway years, and that's going to hurt him. He has a very poor winning percentage in Washington, which is also going to hurt him.

I think eventually he makes it, but he's far from a lock.

Thanks, Tzimisce
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
I would say he's a lock.

I would say you're wrong.

He did win 2 SBs, and obviously that's the biggest factor. However, he has had VERY limited success (at least in terms of playoff wins) outside of the Elway years, and that's going to hurt him. He has a very poor winning percentage in Washington, which is also going to hurt him.

I think eventually he makes it, but he's far from a lock.

Offensive coordinator for 49ers gives him 3 total SB rings Wink
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanny, HOF? Hell yeah...he was the HC of two, consecutive, Super Bowl teams, plus an OC for another Super Bowl champ team...yeah...he is a HOFer. I mean, how many other coaches have done that? A handful, maybe two handfuls?
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanahan has largely hurt his HOF credentials since Elway retired. There was a time it was a real debate as to who was the better between the Mastermind and Belichick?
Shanahan was never able to dominate or rebuild the Broncos in to a winner after John retired. He had one year at the ANC championship but the rest was largely dismal. At Washington he hasn't been noteworthy.

Right now, I dont think Shanahan is anywhere near close to the HOF. He would need to win at least one more Super Bowl.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll get in. He has similar resume as Parcells right now. Parcells has 5 more wins and 5 more losses as well as 1 tie. Big difference is Parcells has 3 more playoff wins and 3 more losses as well as 1 more conference championship.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Super Bowl 33, yes.

Right now, no.

What killed his HOF chances, to me, were bad FA signings and drafts after 1998. They had busts like Marcus Nash, Deltha O'Neal, Willie Middlebrooks, George Foster, and Jarvis Moss, and they had middle of the road guys like Ashley Lelie that weren't that impactful.

Also, his FA signings over the years were lacking, like Dale Carter, Kavika Pittman, Lester Archambeau, Eddie Kennison, Daryl Gardener, DeWayne Robertson, Nate Webster, and Niko Koutouvides.

I think it was Mike Evans on the Fan Morning show today that said that Shanny was bothered by the "can't win without Elway" talk, and he was desperate to prove that he could, so he would sign guys to try to win now, and it would blow up in his face.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
I think he'll get in. He has similar resume as Parcells right now. Parcells has 5 more wins and 5 more losses as well as 1 tie. Big difference is Parcells has 3 more playoff wins and 3 more losses as well as 1 more conference championship.

They have similar "statistical careers" but one can argue Bill Parcells has made a MUCH LARGER impact on the NFL than Mike Shanahan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Donut wrote:

They have similar "statistical careers" but one can argue Bill Parcells has made a MUCH LARGER impact on the NFL than Mike Shanahan.
One could argue that either way. They both won with great teams and great players. Parcells is just as overrated as Shanahan is. IMO they are both borderline HOFers.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will probably get in down the road but he was vastly overrated in his latter years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Donut wrote:

One could argue that either way. They both won with great teams and great players. Parcells is just as overrated as Shanahan is. IMO they are both borderline HOFers.

I didnt mean by their Super Bowl wins, like I said they both have similar statistics.

I meant the impact of their coaching. What have they left for the game? Parcells brought along 2 future HOF coaches, "saved" 4 failing franchises, and one can argue he is one of the most memorable NFL coaches. Shanahan hasnt done anything IMO, hes been a good coach but definitely not a HOFer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Of course I think right now there should only be 3 in there. Lombardi obviously, Walsh because his innovations changed the game in addition to building the SF Dynasty, and Chuck Knoll, most impressive dynasty the sport has seen.

Those 3 were special. The bar was lowered a lot with Parcells. IMO it needs to be raised again where it ought to be.

ps. I was a bit hasty. One other should definitely be in and that's Tom Landry. Not sure but he might be the winningest coach in NFL history. Add that to 2 SB wins and 5 appearances plus 20 straight winning seasons, that's also pretty special.

Joe Gibbs should get serious consideration, with 3 SB's, winning with virtually two separate teams.

When all is said and done, BB should have a pretty good shot. One more SB ring would ice it.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I meant the impact of their coaching. What have they left for the game? Parcells brought along 2 future HOF coaches, "saved" 4 failing franchises, and one can argue he is one of the most memorable NFL coaches. Shanahan hasnt done anything IMO, hes been a good coach but definitely not a HOFer.

If you consider Shanahan's time as an assistant, he played a very large role in developing two HOF Quarterbacks in Elway and Steve Young, that's got to count for something. He also set the trend for the type of zone running and cross pattern passing that no one is able to stop going on about 2 decades now. Schematically speaking Shanahan has probably made as big an impact as Parcells you could argue.

That doesn't mean Shanahan is a better coach than Parcells, but considering he's still going, the accolades may be there even in a Parcells comparison by the time he's done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: