Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Uno's Lovely Defensive Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Uno's Lovely Defensive Mock Reply with quote

After finishing the season 2-14, Leslie Frazier and his staff are let go. Josh Freeman finishes the season on a positive note and with limited QB resources this offseason, he is given a chance to Quarterback this team with a full offseason.

COACHES:

Head Coach: Lovie Smith
This move almost makes too much sense to happen. Minnesota hasn't had success trying to find that up and coming coordinator, so Spielman opts to bring on an established coach to help guide ship and give himself the best chance to keep his job. Lovie Smith will incorporate a Cover 2 based scheme that won't require us to overhaul our defensive personnel. Minnesota has had troubles in the NFCN for awhile now, Lovie is familiar with the division and should help improve interleague play.

Offensive Coordinator: Chan Gailey
Gailey has always been a strong offensive mind but flamed out quickly as a Head Coach. Gailey is a product of Bill Cowher, who like Lovie is a disciple of Marty Schottenheimer. Both guys believe in pounding the ball but understand this is currently a passing league and have adjusted their schemes to fit, without sacrificing their philosophies. Gailey will bring a heavy shotgun/three receiver set, nearly identical to the current day Chargers.

Defensive Coordinator: Jon Hoke
Hoke is one of only 2 coaches that Marc Trestman kept on when he took over the Bears. Hoke has done an outstanding job of developing the DBs, and specifically the CBs during his tenure in Chicago. Hoke has a strong crasp of Lovie's new age Cover 2 and should help elevate the play of the defense and even more in the back end.

PLAYERS RETAINED:
QB-Josh Freeman: There are limited QB options this offseason, and despite the inaccuracy, Freeman showed some positive signs.
OT-Jamarcus Webb: One of the better reserves in the league
WR-Joe Webb: A team leader who has impressed in limited snaps
DE-Everson Griffen: Lovie relies on a pass rush to make his defense work, so Minnesota ponies up the money to keep Griffen
DE-Brian Robison: Younger, less expensive and more consistent than Jared Allen.
DT-Fred Evans: Has been our second best DT thus far
CB-Chris Cook: Will get a one year deal to try and put it together, similar to Jerome Simpson
CB-Marcus Sherels: Has improved his coverage ability and has special teams value
CB-Bobby Felder: Had a solid preseason, should challenge for a spot next year

NOTABLE FREE AGENTS:

Wide Receiver Danario Alexander: 1YR/1M
With Keenan Allen coming on strong for San Diego and DX going through another knee injury, Alexander should be free to go where he wants next season. Alexander's injury was a bit fluky as it was a clean ACL tear of the opposite knee that he has had so much trouble with. Tearing his ACL so early in the season should allow him to come back healthy for Training camp next season. The Vikings extend a low risk/high reward offer to Danario in hopes of finding a #1 WR on the cheap.

Defensive Tackle Arthur Jones: 4YRS/16M
Typically defensive lineman go from the 3 tech to the 5, but Jones has the versatility to go in the opposite direction. Lovie Smith's defense is heavily reliant on a pass rush, typically employing 2 UTs. Jones will move inside and act as a 3 next to Sharrif Floyd. Jones has an terrific first step for his size and does a good job finding the QB and finishing plays. Should help improve the middle of the defense.

Runningback Mark Ingram: Trade Minnesota trades Christian Ponder to New Orleans for Mark Ingram
Bust for bust. Ponder isn't our franchise QB and likely won't be on the roster next season. New Orleans is looking for a developmental guy with Chase Daniel moving onto Kansas City. Physically, Ponder and Brees share the similar limitations. Ponder could benefit from learning from Brees and Payton. Minnesota gets a very talented player who has struggled with injuries. When healthy, Ingram is a great runner with impressive strength and vision. A scheme change could be the best for both players.

2014 NFL DRAFT:
Round 1: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Uno's Take:
I believe that both Hundley and Mariota will return to school and if either declare, none will be worth a Top 10 pick. Having a consistent pass rush is crucial to the success of the defense and there are few better than Clowney. Maturity issues aside, Clowney has a rare skill set with elite speed, strength and athleticism. He also has incredible explosion off the snap. Jadeveon is lightning fast coming off the edge and has natural power to shed blocks. Clowney has already developed an arsenal of pass-rushing moves. He also seems to have the ability to get some sacks simply on the basis shear intimidation. In adding Clowney and Jones will have a much better pass rush than this year.

*Vikings trade #34 for #40, #104*

Round 2: Dion Bailey, S/LB, USC

Uno's Take:
Another key to Lovie's defense is taking advantage of miscues. Bailey is a very opportunistic player. He is flat out playmaker and is always around the ball. Bailey played mostly linebacker at USC but made the transition to safety this year in a new scheme. He alleviated any coverage concerns by recording an interception in each of his first three games this season. Bailey is a player who has the physical skill set to run and cover the new breed tight ends. He should play close to the LOS, allowing Harrison to do his thing.

Round 3: INSERT YOUR FAVORITE PROJECT QB

Uno's Take:
For the sake of argument, just pretend this is your favorite mid round project. My guy is David Fales. Fales has struggled this season due to a scheme switch and the loss of his 3 best weapons. However in just breaking down Fales, he is very impressive. He is automatic inside of 25 yards. His short and intermediate game are near elite. What I like most about Fales are his mechanics. Fales sees the whole field from the snap and gets the ball out quickly. He does a terrific job of working through his reads and making great decisions with the ball. His footwork and pocket presence are beyond his year. He has a calm demeanor and never looks like the game is too big for him. He doesn't panic and when things go bad, instead choosing to get rid of the ball or taking the snap in appropriate situations. The only thing keeping Fales out of the first round is his arm strength. He has a terribly average physical skill set, similar to Matt Barkley a year ago. However, in the right scheme a cerebral QB like Fales can be efficient and productive. Has a lot of Drew Brees to his game.

Round 3: Ryan Groy, OG, Wisconsin

Uno's Take:
Groy is a big kid who has played inside and out in a strong conference. He is a plus pass protector. He has great feet, operating as the LT last year and has solid technique. He is still developing his run game but his quickness and burst can allow him to be a dangerous run-blocker on the second level of defenses. He fires out of his stance and uses his agility to get in position to hit blocks beyond the line of scrimmage.

Round 4: Cody Hoffman, WR, BYU

Uno's Take:
Hoffman has been a favorite of mine since last season. A big kid with an impressive catch radius and great YAC ability. Hoffman should benefit from an NFL strength training program as he is inconsistent when dealing with press coverage. Has number one upside if he can work through that.

Round 4: Jonathan Brown, LB, Illinois

Uno's Take:
Brown is a versatile and productive LB whose progression has been derailed by injuries. Brown was one of the best Linebackers in the nation as a Sophomore but several injuries have kept him from building on that season. He is well versed at each backer spot and should help fill in wherever the team needs him.

Round 5: Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State

Uno's Take:
Getting back to Lovie's need of defensive playmakers. Benwikere isn't the biggest, strongest, or fastest but he is a gamer. He has a nose for the ball and is adept at creating turnovers. San Jose State uses Benwikere allover the field which has allowed him to develop into a proficient slot defender. Nickel defender is probably his ceiling but it's a growingly important position for any football team.

Round 6: Donte Rumph, DT, Kentucky

Uno's Take:
Rumph has solid upside as a NT in the NFL but needs to do a better job with his hands. At 6'3, 320 he gets pushed more often than he should. That is mostly due to poor technique. He isn't strong at the point of attack, but does a great job of holding back defenders, finding the ball carrier and making the tackle. Could make a good 1 tech and the next level and will play in short situations early in his career.

Round 7: D.J. Coles, WR/TE, Virginia Tech

Uno's Take:
Coles is a guy I was intrigued by early in his career, however injuries have taken away most of his college experience. After playing WR at 6'4, 230 Coles has bulked up to 240 and is being used a Joker TE this year. If he can add another 5 pounds and continue to develop as a blocker, he could be a great vertical option.

DEPTH CHART:
QB: Josh Freeman//David Fales
HB: Adrian Peterson//Mark Ingram//Joe Banyard
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: Cordarelle Patterson//Joe Webb-Greg Childs
WR: Danario Alexander//Cody Hoffman
SLOT: Greg Jennings//Jarius Wright
TE: Kyle Rudolph//Rhett Elison//D.J. Coles
LT: Matt Kalil
LG: Brandon Fusco
C: John Sullivan//Jeff Baca
RG: Ryan Groy//Travis Bond
RT: Phil Loadholt//Jamarcus Webb

LE: Brian Robison//Everson Griffen
UT: Sharrif Floyd//Fred Evans
UT: Arthur Jones//Donte Rumph
RE: Jadaevon Clowney//Justin Trattou
LOLB: Erin Henderson//Jonathan Brown
MLB: Michael Mauti//Audie Cole
ROLB: Chad Greenway//Gerald Hodges
CB: Xavier Rhodes//Marcus Sherels
FS: Harrison Smith//Mistral Raymond//Robert Blanton
SS: Dion Bailey//Jamarca Sanford
NB: Josh Robinson//Bene Benwikere
CB: Chris Cook//Bobby Felder

Roster Notes:
* Despite the inaccuracy on Monday night, Josh Freeman showed some encouraging signs. He was sound in the pocket, made the right reads, and decisive. He still needs time for chemistry but also needs to continue working on his footwork, which in turn should help his accuracy. Working out of a heavy shotgun scheme should help Josh Freeman return to his 2010 production. Also is the best scheme for David Fales' development.

* Greg Jennings will operate out of the slot. Lining off of the LOS with his route running ability will help him to be productive as he ages.

*Brandon Fusco moves to LG. Gets our best pass protectors on the right side and caters more to his skill set.

*The defense will operate with two UT's, focused on bringing pressure from every angle.

*Michael Mauti will stay inside at the Mike. Mauti is very similar to Brian Urlahcer in his later years. Very strong coming down hill, above average in coverage, and a tremendous leader. If the pass rush works correctly, the need for an athletic inside guy won't be as crucial.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
DaCDiggity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Mock i've seen in awhile and i as well am a big fan of Fales and would love to get him in the 3rd.....Huge fan of Bailey as well i love me some big Safeties......Would love for the offseason to go like this...Goodjob

(ps. did you make that Bridgwater sig?)

Let The Zimmer Dynasty Begin
#TeddyisReady
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand I think Lovie is a good coach. On the other hand I hate the Cover-2.

On one hand I like Clowney. On the other hand I want a real QB.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
On one hand I think Lovie is a good coach. On the other hand I hate the Cover-2.

You have four hands?!?!
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

You have four hands?!?!

You don't even know.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

I just don't see many opportunities for a franchise QB this offseason. Of course things can and probably will change between now and then. For now, I think we should grab a developmental guy this year and look to grab a franchise guy in 2015.

As for the Cover 2, during the end of his tenure, Lovie's defense still had Cover 2 principles but ran more man to man the original Cover 2. A true Cover 2 can't survive in the current league. A sign Lovie is good at making good adjustments.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowney is my #1 player in this draft. that alone makes it a good draft for me. and we need defensive help so the rest of the draft is fine for me.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
DaCDiggity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just don't see many opportunities for a franchise QB this offseason. Of course things can and probably will change between now and then. For now, I think we should grab a developmental guy this year and look to grab a franchise guy in 2015.

Jameis Winston?

Let The Zimmer Dynasty Begin
#TeddyisReady
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaCDiggity wrote:
Quote:

Jameis Winston?

Potentially Winston, pr a more seasoned Mariota/Hundley.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_allday2869 wrote:
Clowney is my #1 player in this draft. that alone makes it a good draft for me. and we need defensive help so the rest of the draft is fine for me.

Having a crap year at SC. Don't really want to play. He's bout the hype in himself. He isn't playing to win. He is playing to stay healthy enough to get drafted.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who says Clowney has been having a crap year really hasn't been paying attention. When he's on the field in passing situations teams are getting rid of the ball a half second earlier (less than 2.4 seconds) on average than when he's not.

He had a very good game against one of the better lines in the country, in Tennessee. Teams are scheming their entire offense around containing him, that alone means he's ha,ving a big impact on the game.

Has he bought into his own hype some, probably, but he's having far from a crap season.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solid mock uno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

four hands, lucky wife....
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to borrow the Ingram-Ponder swap in the future Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

You have four hands?!?!

Very impressive! Wouldn't three feet be better? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: