Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mario? No. Mariota? Yes. arKnaD7's early mock off-season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Mario? No. Mariota? Yes. arKnaD7's early mock off-season Reply with quote

I'm assuming the coaching staff gets the ax. They implement a more aggressive 34 defense going forward. Vikings finish with pick #2/3.

2014 Free Agents
DE Jared Allen UFA
RB Matt Asiata ERFA Re-sign
C Joe Berger UFA
LB Desmond Bishop UFA
CB Chris Cook UFA Re-sign
LB Larry Dean RFA Re-sign
DT Fred Evans UFA Re-sign
CB Bobby Felder ERFA Re-sign

QB Josh Freeman UFA
RB Toby Gerhart UFA
DE Everson Griffen UFA Re-sign
CB A.J. Jefferson UFA
G Charlie Johnson UFA
LB Marvin Mitchell UFA
CB Marcus Sherels RFA Re-sign
WR Jerome Simpson UFA
DE Justin Trattou RFA Re-sign
T J'Marcus Webb UFA
WR Joe Webb UFA Re-sign
DT Kevin Williams UFA

No major surprises here. I think Simpson will look for the payday after having a nice season to this point. I doubt Cook has much value anywhere else and he could benefit from a more aggressive scheme. I believe Gerhart is a good player, but he will likely seek a better opportunity. I'd have Kevin Williams back, even with this scheme change, but I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to chase a ring if he doesn't call it quits.

Notable Cuts
TE John Carlson (Restructure)
DT Letroy Guion

Notable FA Signings
RB Ronnie Brown
OG Zane Beadles
NT Terrance Cody
CB Vontae Davis

Brown would be a short-term option at #2 RB wile some younger guys develop. Beadles would plug into LG from day 1 and solidify the OL. Cody is a big body that has underwhelmed to this point, should be relatively inexpensive. Davis would be the big signing, locking down one side of the field.

2014 Draft Trades
Minnesota trades their 2 for a 2, 4, and 6
Christian Ponder traded for a 7
Awarded Compensatory pick in round 7

2014 NFL Draft
1) QB Marcus Mariota Oregon
2) NT Daniel McCullers Tennessee
3) DE Taylor Hart Oregon
3) OLB Jeremiah Attaochu Georgia Tech
4) S Sean Parker Washington
4) CB Andre Hal Vanderbilt
5) QB Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
6) OT Cornelius Lucas Kansas State
6) DE Brent Urban Virginia
7) RB Zurlon Tipton Central Michigan
7) OLB Shaquil Barrett Colorado State
7) ILB Jordan Zumwalt UCLA

Obviously, the talker here is Mariota. At this point, I think he is a franchise QB prospect. He has two big tests coming up, vs UCLA and @ Stanford. If he continues to play at a high level, I will have no problem taking him over anyone besides Bridgewater. Clowney is an elite prospect, but you can't win without a QB in today's NFL.

2014 Roster / Depth Chart (only 50/53 players)
QB: Mariota | Thomas
RB: Peterson | Brown | Tipton
FB: Felton
TE: Rudolph | Carlson | Ellison
WR: Jennings | Patterson | Wright | Webb
OT: Kalil | Loadholt | Lucas
OG: Beadles | Fusco | Bond
OC: Sullivan | Baca

DE: Floyd | Evans | Hart | Urban
NT: McCullers | Cody
OLB: Robison | Griffen | Attaochu | Barrett
ILB: Greenway | Henderson | Mauti | Cole | Hodges | Zumwalt
CB: Davis | Rhodes | Cook | Hal | Robinson
S: Smith | Sanford | Parker | Sendejo | Raymond

ST: Walsh | Locke | Loeffler

The one area I didn't address was ILBs. I think a scheme where they aren't backpedaling on every play would benefit the group. I'd also be counting on improvement from the young guys to potentially push for playing time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting mock. I'm hoping one of those three remaining roster spots goes to a veteran QB. Backup QB is on of the 25 most important positions on the team and having two rookies as the only QB would be a huge mistake.
chuck44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO THANKS!!!! Mariota didnt even start till his senior year in highschool....he is as green as green can be....he is a bigger ? than Ponder....He plays in the oregon offense which really doesnt require him too read defenses....his adjustment to the NFL will be TOUGH
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mariota! So i like this mock somewhat.

Good fa pickups in Davis and Beadles.

I dont like trading Ponder for a 7th when he would be a good cheap backup with some starting exp. Also, i think Attaochu projects as more of a DE/34OLB. Im not really crazy about rounds 3-7.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no professional scout, but from what I have seen from Mariota, he will not be a good quarterback in the NFL.

He barely has a deep ball, doesn't go through his progressions like he should, and plays in an offense which glorifies his stats. It would just set us back. I don't mind the rest of it.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Interesting mock. I'm hoping one of those three remaining roster spots goes to a veteran QB. Backup QB is on of the 25 most important positions on the team and having two rookies as the only QB would be a huge mistake.

Yeah, that was the idea. Ideally the veteran back-up has experience in the new head coaches/offensive coordinators system.

Eric dunn wrote:
Also, i think Attaochu projects as more of a DE/34OLB.

I have them switching to a 34, so he would be a rushing OLB.

As for Mariota, you could make the argument that he was a one-read QB last year, but he has made major steps in the area. Just watch the cut-up from his game vs Washington (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQZKeG8t2K4). You can see him working through reads throughout the game. His deep ball is on display as well. By my count he was 3/6 with 2 drops on passes 20+ yards down the field.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that Attaochu ends up going earlier than the late third in the end, but he's a solid prospect to add to a 34 team.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Yeah, that was the idea. Ideally the veteran back-up has experience in the new head coaches/offensive coordinators system.

Eric dunn wrote:
Also, i think Attaochu projects as more of a DE/34OLB.

I have them switching to a 34, so he would be a rushing OLB.

As for Mariota, you could make the argument that he was a one-read QB last year, but he has made major steps in the area. Just watch the cut-up from his game vs Washington (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQZKeG8t2K4). You can see him working through reads throughout the game. His deep ball is on display as well. By my count he was 3/6 with 2 drops on passes 20+ yards down the field.

ahhh, sorry bout that. Thats what i get for only looking at the draft. d'oh!

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mariota, but ONLY if we bring in a college coach who knows how to run a spread offense. Someone like Sumlin or Malzahn. One of those guys could work wonders with a talented QB like Mariota while hiding his weaknesses.

Put Mariota in a traditional offense though and I think he is going to struggle, at least for the first few years.
jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2014 NFL Draft
1) QB Marcus Mariota Oregon
2) NT Daniel McCullers Tennessee
3) DE Taylor Hart Oregon
3) OLB Jeremiah Attaochu Georgia Tech
4) S Sean Parker Washington
4) CB Andre Hal Vanderbilt
5) QB Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
6) OT Cornelius Lucas Kansas State
6) DE Brent Urban Virginia
7) RB Zurlon Tipton Central Michigan
7) OLB Shaquil Barrett Colorado State
7) ILB Jordan Zumwalt UCLA

I'm not a Mariota fan, but I at least acknowledge he has developmental potential. He's going to get shredded if he starts immediately though.

Logan Thomas doesn't look like a NFL quarterback and never really has, his hype was all about his size and arm strength.

So, to say it politely, I would not be enthused in the least if we headed into 2014-2015 with our only two QBs being Mariota and Thomas.

As for the rest of the draft, I only like McCullers. Don't feel like you included any real difference makers in this mock.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall, good mock just not a Mariota fan and I think there's no doubt Philly does everything they can to get him

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Logan Thomas doesn't look like a NFL quarterback and never really has, his hype was all about his size and arm strength.

So, to say it politely, I would not be enthused in the least if we headed into 2014-2015 with our only two QBs being Mariota and Thomas.

As for the rest of the draft, I only like McCullers. Don't feel like you included any real difference makers in this mock.

In the 5th round, I'm taking they guy with the physical talent over the lower ceiling player all day. Of the QBs potentially available at that point, who has a higher ceiling? I'd say nobody. I will say this, I think Thomas goes higher than this, some team will fall in love with him.

I mentioned earlier, ideally the 3rd QB is a vet that has played in the new staff's system.

As for the draft, I think the guys in the first 3 rounds would be significant contributors early. You can't anticipate 4th round picks being more than roles players early, and hopefully develop into long-term starters. I tried to add depth at relatively thin positions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
jshowers wrote:

In the 5th round, I'm taking they guy with the physical talent over the lower ceiling player all day. Of the QBs potentially available at that point, who has a higher ceiling? I'd say nobody. I will say this, I think Thomas goes higher than this, some team will fall in love with him.

I mentioned earlier, ideally the 3rd QB is a vet that has played in the new staff's system.

As for the draft, I think the guys in the first 3 rounds would be significant contributors early. You can't anticipate 4th round picks being more than roles players early, and hopefully develop into long-term starters. I tried to add depth at relatively thin positions.

I think Logan Thomas' ceiling is a #2 TE for some team Laughing

Seriously, though, his questions have been answered. No "upside" or "potential" left with Thomas, IMO. He's had 3 years to start and mentally progress and hasn't. He doesn't have what it takes between the ears.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas had shown a a little improvement this season, and honestly, if BJ Daniels can be drafted, so can Thomas.

Laughing
jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Thomas had shown a a little improvement this season, and honestly, if BJ Daniels can be drafted, so can Thomas.

Laughing

True that, but last year's QB draft class was INCREDIBLY weak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: