Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:

I am not biased against Ben

yes, you are. You've stated as much, that you hate the guy, so you're full of it.

chrisororke wrote:
what's in the best interest of the team is to trade Ben.

and get what? who plays QB for us? Bruce Gradkowski?

chrisororke wrote:
There are maybe 15 QBs that will be drafted this year and I think any one of them can throw screens and little dumps.

well that's great. We can definitely start to win if we have a college QB throwing screens and little dumps.

chrisororke wrote:

The team is better when you free up 20M and get a couple of first round picks. You can address the many "wants" of the team

but until we can get the "need" of the team (franchise QB), we will be stuck knocking on the door without getting in.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:

I think you are exaggerating this... If somebody took a cheapshot on Ben, our offensive line would take cheap shots on their dline every play the rest of the game. Our defense would take every cheap shot available the rest of the game....No one is gonna blindside him as hes standing near the sideline or else every single one of their players will have to worry about taking cheap shots the rest of the game.

wait, are you serious?? Have you not been watching football the last, dunno, decade or so?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Also...I am not saying it will happen, just that it could. It really depends on the wildcat play being run. You do realize there has been several times in wildcat formations where they pass to the QB out wide, right? In fact, I remember Flacco doing it back in 2008 or 2009. There are other instances too.

NOW, I dont think we would ever call a play for Ben, but even if we ran play to his side, there is a chance someone could come in for a hard block, especially if the ball carrier is squeezed towards the sidelines.

Yes I realize that their are variations of the Wildcat where the Quarterback gets the ball. You do realize the coaches aren't just going to give Ben the ball on the sideline unprotected, right?

I believe that the people in control of our offense would scheme extra protection for Ben if he is involved. I doubt they would run a play where Ben is getting the ball on the sideline.

I also believe that if Ben is paying attention and knows what play is called, he can get out of harms way fairly easily. He is being lined up next to the sideline and he can't be hit when he is out of bounds. He will have a sizable head start on Bell (or whoever is carrying the ball) to the sideline and he should not be throwing blocks or even staying in bounds if it comes towards him.

The only situation that leaves, IMO, is a cornerback hitting him away from the play entirely. If he is paying attention he can't be blindsided (no one can come at him from behind since his back is towards the offensive side of the ball/sideline). If they hit him in the head it is a penalty. If they take a running start at him he has time to prepare/get out of bounds. If they just try to jam him I think he will be ok.

Maybe I am missing something I don't know. I don't think it is very likely that a team would put a linebacker/or safety out on the sideline to hit Ben because that takes one more person out of the box on a play that is most likely a run.

I'm not saying we should use it. I just think you guys are reaching when you say it puts him in danger of taking a big hit.

Once again, if the play takes too long to develop or gets pushed towards Ben's side, there absolutely could be a chance for a LB or even a defensive lineman to drill Ben hard.

I'm not going to argue this any further....because we arent likely to be running enough wildcat to worry about it.

The only thing I am arguing against is the notions that defenders wouldnt do it out of fear. Some wouldnt do it simply because they arent cheap players, but some absolutely would, and it absolutely could happen....even if it isnt extremely likely.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony of this is that they actually tried to run it a few times last night.

It's like Ben comes out and says soemthing he doesn't like so Todd Haley feels the urgency to do exactly that.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: