Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2930
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
am I the only one a bit concerned our 20M QB gets winded sprinting out to the WR position a few times a game?


Don't get me wrong, I'll defend BB over most people, but comeon man, get in a bit* better shape.
Shocked


I noticed that as well. Can't really be what he meant to convey, can it? That seems just beyond puny if that's actually what he meant.

Surely you guys took it as a sarcastic joke with the media?
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6426
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
treat88 wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
am I the only one a bit concerned our 20M QB gets winded sprinting out to the WR position a few times a game?


Don't get me wrong, I'll defend BB over most people, but comeon man, get in a bit* better shape.
Shocked


I noticed that as well. Can't really be what he meant to convey, can it? That seems just beyond puny if that's actually what he meant.

Surely you guys took it as a sarcastic joke with the media?


It's got to be. Just didn't translate on first reading.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
armsteeld


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 3672
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
I'm only addressing the injury issue you brought up. When QBs lead others into taking big hits, do those guys openly criticize or bring that issue up? It is a team Effort and he should be more of a leader and support any plays that are gaining yards.


That is dumb. The importance of a quality quarterback is by far the most important in the NFL and by far the hardest to replace. Ask half the NFL teams dealing with back-ups.


No your supporting argument is dumb. I think everyone knows the importance of a franchise QB. Tom Brady is having his worse year as a starter due to the talent around him and him being off and pressuring too much. NO defensive player is going to take a cheap shot at a QB who is lined up as a WR in the Wildcat. I have NOT seen anyone willing to throw a big or malicious hit at the QBs. BY him lining up wide, it serves as a diversion and makes opponents think rather than react. That would be the same as Troy complaining about the Dime ILB position he has been playing. Troy is banging against 300lb OL and taking on TEs yet he is doing it for the TEAM's success.
_________________




"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24745
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
I'm only addressing the injury issue you brought up. When QBs lead others into taking big hits, do those guys openly criticize or bring that issue up? It is a team Effort and he should be more of a leader and support any plays that are gaining yards.


That is dumb. The importance of a quality quarterback is by far the most important in the NFL and by far the hardest to replace. Ask half the NFL teams dealing with back-ups.


No your supporting argument is dumb. I think everyone knows the importance of a franchise QB. Tom Brady is having his worse year as a starter due to the talent around him and him being off and pressuring too much. NO defensive player is going to take a cheap shot at a QB who is lined up as a WR in the Wildcat. I have NOT seen anyone willing to throw a big or malicious hit at the QBs. BY him lining up wide, it serves as a diversion and makes opponents think rather than react. That would be the same as Troy complaining about the Dime ILB position he has been playing. Troy is banging against 300lb OL and taking on TEs yet he is doing it for the TEAM's success.



That really doesn't have much to do with your original comment now does it? You compare a WR complaining about something that IS a norm for his position, when a QB going out for a pass is NOT a norm for his position. And you don't think a defensive player would love to take a hard hit on a QB UNPROTECTED by his position??? Serious? You never seen a QB laid out by someone blocking after an interception is thrown??? Its an unnecessary risk.
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisororke


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 498
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
Just another reason to hate Ben. The Wildcat works. It has been working. It has yet to end in a first down, granted sometimes it was run two times in a row.

Quite simply the baby wants the ball and is more self centered than team-oriented. I like that he wants the ball in his hands, but if it works, than it works. Say Peyton Manning for example, his character is one of I want to win more than personal stats and he doesn't care if he has the ball or hands it off 40 times. But when he does have the ball, he makes plays. Make the most of your opportunities -Mike Tomlin. Ben is like I need the ball, I need the ball, and doesn't always make the play. That is a selfish player to always demand the ball and not a team player, which has always been the biggest criticism of Ben in my opinion.

Ben doesn't think they will run a lot more of it. I hate this. Who is running the franchise? The 100M QB or the coaches, GM, and owners. I am so over Ben. No player should ever be "bigger" than the franchise and I know Art Rooney Sr wouldn't tolerate this s*hit


Note: Le'Veon Bell loves how Todd Haley has been using his talents in I-Form, Shotgun, Wildcat, etc. If it works, than it works.


First of all, what's the point of cussing and editing out a word? We can still see what you're saying... which is against the rules - please read this.

Secondly, you're bias against Ben is horrendous here. You put him out to be a baby and a whiner, but that's not the truth. Read this quote from him.

I dont like to go over and just be split out wide and take a chance that a [defensive back] is going to come up, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan, via ESPN.com. I dont think well see a lot of it.

You make Ben out to be a whiner because the ball isn't in his hand. Reality is, he's afraid to line up as a WR, for he fears having someone take a cheap shot at him and hurt him.

Your bias towards Ben is uncalled for here. He's not trying to be the center of attention what so ever. He's putting it out there that he doesn't mind the idea, but doesn't want it often because he leaves himself vulnerable for injury and does not want that because he knows the team needs him. If the formation was different and he wasn't vulnerable; he wouldn't care.

Since you're trying to compare Ben to Peyton here, let me tell you this. Do you think Peyton Manning would like the Wild Cat if it left him vulnerable as a wide out on the side lines? If your answer is anything but no; you're going to make yourself look like a fool.


I call that quote posturing. Maybe you didn't notice but the CB didn't even pay attention to him. He lined up on him bc you have too. He could get the ball thrown to him. Keep in mind he gets killed by 300 pounders and people call him tough as nails and now he's afraid of a 200 pound CB. Please. Come back is it is an extra shot, but he will not be touched. Once the CB saw it was a run he ran to help out. Maybe if someone took a shot at him, I'd buy your argument but Ben didn't move and the DB didn't touch him

I only compared Peyton's character. If someone says Peyton Manning than people go oh my God he said Peyton Manning. Would you prefer Steve Young? Anyone that is more concerned about the team than personal stats. Ben wants the ball in his hands bc he wants to have the stats to make the money. Please argue against that. Even in his rookie year he wanted the ball in his hands more, and more, and more. We won every game he started bc the leash was on him. Ben doesn't want to be a "field general" and that is exactly what I want for the offense. I've said before Ben is a ferrari (motorcycle accident should prove that) and the Steelers want a Cadillac that's running smooth.

Like any one in this college class can run the offense the Steelers want to run with short screens and extended handoffs. You don't need Ben Roethlisberger to run the offense. The team sucks and Ben is simply a casualty to make the team better.

If they resign him it will absolutely cripple the franchise. Say they resign him March 2nd, his birthday, he will be 32. How many more years will he play? Keep in mind he will want 5 yrs/100M minimum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chrisororke


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 498
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
Just another reason to hate Ben. The Wildcat works. It has been working. It has yet to end in a first down, granted sometimes it was run two times in a row.

Quite simply the baby wants the ball and is more self centered than team-oriented. I like that he wants the ball in his hands, but if it works, than it works. Say Peyton Manning for example, his character is one of I want to win more than personal stats and he doesn't care if he has the ball or hands it off 40 times. But when he does have the ball, he makes plays. Make the most of your opportunities -Mike Tomlin. Ben is like I need the ball, I need the ball, and doesn't always make the play. That is a selfish player to always demand the ball and not a team player, which has always been the biggest criticism of Ben in my opinion.

Ben doesn't think they will run a lot more of it. I hate this. Who is running the franchise? The 100M QB or the coaches, GM, and owners. I am so over Ben. No player should ever be "bigger" than the franchise and I know Art Rooney Sr wouldn't tolerate this s*hit


Note: Le'Veon Bell loves how Todd Haley has been using his talents in I-Form, Shotgun, Wildcat, etc. If it works, than it works.


First of all, what's the point of cussing and editing out a word? We can still see what you're saying... which is against the rules - please read this.

Secondly, you're bias against Ben is horrendous here. You put him out to be a baby and a whiner, but that's not the truth. Read this quote from him.

I dont like to go over and just be split out wide and take a chance that a [defensive back] is going to come up, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan, via ESPN.com. I dont think well see a lot of it.

You make Ben out to be a whiner because the ball isn't in his hand. Reality is, he's afraid to line up as a WR, for he fears having someone take a cheap shot at him and hurt him.

Your bias towards Ben is uncalled for here. He's not trying to be the center of attention what so ever. He's putting it out there that he doesn't mind the idea, but doesn't want it often because he leaves himself vulnerable for injury and does not want that because he knows the team needs him. If the formation was different and he wasn't vulnerable; he wouldn't care.

Since you're trying to compare Ben to Peyton here, let me tell you this. Do you think Peyton Manning would like the Wild Cat if it left him vulnerable as a wide out on the side lines? If your answer is anything but no; you're going to make yourself look like a fool.


To be completely clear, I have a Steelers bias and have no bias towards Ben one way or the other.

When we drafted Ben, I was 14 years old and I cried tears of joy bc I knew the Neil, Kordell, Tommy Gun days were over.

His rookie year I still remember that rollout to Burress against Dallas (a game I surely thought we'd lose before it started) on a broken play and his first scramble TD against Cleveland or Cincy (open end of the stadium). He is no longer that player. He's getting older I understand that.

The motorcycle accident was heart-wrenching and the rape allegations were troubling. I started to realize the QB wasn't who I thought he was. He's a changed man. BS.

I didn't have a problem with his play until last year when I realized he wasn't one of the greats. He couldn't win the game on his own. The AZ game is what blinded me for so many years. The GB game I was just like ohh he couldn't do it this time. The greats can't even do it every time. I would also say he was on pace to have his best year ever last year. He could've been a MVP candidate. I realized the defense was old and the offense that was built on "Ben make a play" wasn't the same with Haley. Ben was handcuffed but still doing well bc he is a hell of a QB.

My view on quarterbacks is this. There are a few that should be paid 30M a year, the Peyton Manning's and the like. The problem is they take less and set the market value. Any QB remotely near them in ability are able to negotiate at Peyton's 20M price when in reality they should be at the 15M range. There are four established QBs that I know can win a game on their own: Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Brees. The Matt Ryan's, Eli's, Ben's are not the same type of player as those guys and get paid the same because they have good agents and have all the leverage in the negotiation. You need a franchise QB to win is what they say. I'm saying the truly elite QBs should be paid that way but they understand the more they get the less goes to the team. That's why Brady took a pay cut, that's why Peyton Manning didn't break the bank and it's funny the guys that are getting the most Matt Ryan and Eli are one two of the worst teams in wins-losses. Oh yeah we're there too.

The problem is every year that goes by and I know this is exactly how the Steelers think, Ben is a depreciating asset. I don't want to be there when the value goes to zero. I'm cashing in my chips before I have nothing left. I know the Steelers treat players this way bc no player no matter the loyalty gets a 3rd contract. How poorly it is being run right now good guys aren't getting 2nd contracts bc of poor contracts and (the math of Khan) in the past.

I am not biased against Ben, my bias lies with the team and what's in the best interest of the team is to trade Ben. We aren't winning with him and someone can easily fill the role in this "field general" type offense. Who? There are maybe 15 QBs that will be drafted this year and I think any one of them can throw screens and little dumps. The team is better when you free up 20M and get a couple of first round picks. You can address the many "wants" of the team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 3978
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No QB in the league makes 30 mil.
2. Roethlisberger's cap hit is 13.5 this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34934
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
I'm only addressing the injury issue you brought up. When QBs lead others into taking big hits, do those guys openly criticize or bring that issue up? It is a team Effort and he should be more of a leader and support any plays that are gaining yards.


That is dumb. The importance of a quality quarterback is by far the most important in the NFL and by far the hardest to replace. Ask half the NFL teams dealing with back-ups.


No your supporting argument is dumb. I think everyone knows the importance of a franchise QB. Tom Brady is having his worse year as a starter due to the talent around him and him being off and pressuring too much. NO defensive player is going to take a cheap shot at a QB who is lined up as a WR in the Wildcat. I have NOT seen anyone willing to throw a big or malicious hit at the QBs. BY him lining up wide, it serves as a diversion and makes opponents think rather than react. That would be the same as Troy complaining about the Dime ILB position he has been playing. Troy is banging against 300lb OL and taking on TEs yet he is doing it for the TEAM's success.


Are you freaking kidding me?! Laughing If I'm a Ravens LB and I see Big Ben lined up as a WR - I'm going to drill him so hard into the ground that you will need a back hoe to pull how out of there!! Laughing

What do you think this is, Pee Wee football? You're insane if you think no one would take a shot at Big Ben if he's lined up on the outside!
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grubs10


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1949
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
I'm only addressing the injury issue you brought up. When QBs lead others into taking big hits, do those guys openly criticize or bring that issue up? It is a team Effort and he should be more of a leader and support any plays that are gaining yards.


That is dumb. The importance of a quality quarterback is by far the most important in the NFL and by far the hardest to replace. Ask half the NFL teams dealing with back-ups.


No your supporting argument is dumb. I think everyone knows the importance of a franchise QB. Tom Brady is having his worse year as a starter due to the talent around him and him being off and pressuring too much. NO defensive player is going to take a cheap shot at a QB who is lined up as a WR in the Wildcat. I have NOT seen anyone willing to throw a big or malicious hit at the QBs. BY him lining up wide, it serves as a diversion and makes opponents think rather than react. That would be the same as Troy complaining about the Dime ILB position he has been playing. Troy is banging against 300lb OL and taking on TEs yet he is doing it for the TEAM's success.


Are you freaking kidding me?! Laughing If I'm a Ravens LB and I see Big Ben lined up as a WR - I'm going to drill him so hard into the ground that you will need a back hoe to pull how out of there!! Laughing

What do you think this is, Pee Wee football? You're insane if you think no one would take a shot at Big Ben if he's lined up on the outside!


I think you are exaggerating this... If somebody took a cheapshot on Ben, our offensive line would take cheap shots on their dline every play the rest of the game. Our defense would take every cheap shot available the rest of the game. Players understand this. When it happens during game action and the quarterback is trying to make a play ( or a tackle on an interception return)it is different than when Ben is out wide and clearly not part of the play.

I don't have a problem with him not wanting to run the wildcat. He is a competitive, confident player. He wants the ball in his hands and he always has. I think the risk of injury is pretty minimal as long as he isn't the one trying to mix it up or throw a block. No one is gonna blindside him as hes standing near the sideline or else every single one of their players will have to worry about taking cheap shots the rest of the game.
_________________

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
I'm only addressing the injury issue you brought up. When QBs lead others into taking big hits, do those guys openly criticize or bring that issue up? It is a team Effort and he should be more of a leader and support any plays that are gaining yards.


That is dumb. The importance of a quality quarterback is by far the most important in the NFL and by far the hardest to replace. Ask half the NFL teams dealing with back-ups.


No your supporting argument is dumb. I think everyone knows the importance of a franchise QB. Tom Brady is having his worse year as a starter due to the talent around him and him being off and pressuring too much. NO defensive player is going to take a cheap shot at a QB who is lined up as a WR in the Wildcat. I have NOT seen anyone willing to throw a big or malicious hit at the QBs. BY him lining up wide, it serves as a diversion and makes opponents think rather than react. That would be the same as Troy complaining about the Dime ILB position he has been playing. Troy is banging against 300lb OL and taking on TEs yet he is doing it for the TEAM's success.


Are you freaking kidding me?! Laughing If I'm a Ravens LB and I see Big Ben lined up as a WR - I'm going to drill him so hard into the ground that you will need a back hoe to pull how out of there!! Laughing

What do you think this is, Pee Wee football? You're insane if you think no one would take a shot at Big Ben if he's lined up on the outside!


I think you are exaggerating this... If somebody took a cheapshot on Ben, our offensive line would take cheap shots on their dline every play the rest of the game. Our defense would take every cheap shot available the rest of the game. Players understand this. When it happens during game action and the quarterback is trying to make a play ( or a tackle on an interception return)it is different than when Ben is out wide and clearly not part of the play.

I don't have a problem with him not wanting to run the wildcat. He is a competitive, confident player. He wants the ball in his hands and he always has. I think the risk of injury is pretty minimal as long as he isn't the one trying to mix it up or throw a block. No one is gonna blindside him as hes standing near the sideline or else every single one of their players will have to worry about taking cheap shots the rest of the game.


I dont know about a cheap shot, but if Ben is lined up at WR and a defender can get a lick in on him legally, its gonna happen.

You could argue that cheap shots happen quite often, so if you think Ravens defenders would be afraid to light Ben up just because our players might retaliate, think again.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grubs10


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1949
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:


I dont know about a cheap shot, but if Ben is lined up at WR and a defender can get a lick in on him legally, its gonna happen.

You could argue that cheap shots happen quite often, so if you think Ravens defenders would be afraid to light Ben up just because our players might retaliate, think again.


I disagree with you that defensive players aren't worried about cheap shots. Many defensive players are worried about getting hit low or in the knees which is legal in some circumstances. Nobody wants to be the guy who got his team mate injured in retaliation from a stupid shot at the QB on a wildcat play, especially one as big as Ben.

But you disagree with that apparently so I'm not going to continue arguing that. My next question is how are they getting this "lick" on him? The lbers and safeties are going to be focused on the ball carrier. A corner isn't going to be able to do much to Ben without a running start or hitting him in the head/face which is a penalty. If the play is designed to go towards Ben he can get out of bounds since he is right by the sideline.

I am not a fan of the wildcat. It really doesn't do much for the team and makes our best player a non factor. But I really don't worry about Ben getting hit. I just don't understand how you guys think he is going to get destroyed next to the sideline at the line of scrimmage when he is out of the play. As long as he is paying attention people won't be in position to blindside him.

I know that there aren't too many teams that run the wildcat but does anyone have an example of a QB taking a shot because he was lined up out wide? (And not trying to throw a block or catch a pass/lateral)
_________________

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:


I dont know about a cheap shot, but if Ben is lined up at WR and a defender can get a lick in on him legally, its gonna happen.

You could argue that cheap shots happen quite often, so if you think Ravens defenders would be afraid to light Ben up just because our players might retaliate, think again.


I disagree with you that defensive players aren't worried about cheap shots. Many defensive players are worried about getting hit low or in the knees which is legal in some circumstances. Nobody wants to be the guy who got his team mate injured in retaliation from a stupid shot at the QB on a wildcat play, especially one as big as Ben.

But you disagree with that apparently so I'm not going to continue arguing that. My next question is how are they getting this "lick" on him? The lbers and safeties are going to be focused on the ball carrier. A corner isn't going to be able to do much to Ben without a running start or hitting him in the head/face which is a penalty. If the play is designed to go towards Ben he can get out of bounds since he is right by the sideline.

I am not a fan of the wildcat. It really doesn't do much for the team and makes our best player a non factor. But I really don't worry about Ben getting hit. I just don't understand how you guys think he is going to get destroyed next to the sideline at the line of scrimmage when he is out of the play. As long as he is paying attention people won't be in position to blindside him.

I know that there aren't too many teams that run the wildcat but does anyone have an example of a QB taking a shot because he was lined up out wide? (And not trying to throw a block or catch a pass/lateral)


If they are so scared, why do defenders regularly take free shots at QBs after passing or defenseless receivers? This is no different. Even if they are scared of reprisal, it doesnt stop them normally.

Also...I am not saying it will happen, just that it could. It really depends on the wildcat play being run. You do realize there has been several times in wildcat formations where they pass to the QB out wide, right? In fact, I remember Flacco doing it back in 2008 or 2009. There are other instances too.

NOW, I dont think we would ever call a play for Ben, but even if we ran play to his side, there is a chance someone could come in for a hard block, especially if the ball carrier is squeezed towards the sidelines.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grubs10


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1949
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:


Also...I am not saying it will happen, just that it could. It really depends on the wildcat play being run. You do realize there has been several times in wildcat formations where they pass to the QB out wide, right? In fact, I remember Flacco doing it back in 2008 or 2009. There are other instances too.

NOW, I dont think we would ever call a play for Ben, but even if we ran play to his side, there is a chance someone could come in for a hard block, especially if the ball carrier is squeezed towards the sidelines.


Yes I realize that their are variations of the Wildcat where the Quarterback gets the ball. You do realize the coaches aren't just going to give Ben the ball on the sideline unprotected, right?


I believe that the people in control of our offense would scheme extra protection for Ben if he is involved. I doubt they would run a play where Ben is getting the ball on the sideline.

I also believe that if Ben is paying attention and knows what play is called, he can get out of harms way fairly easily. He is being lined up next to the sideline and he can't be hit when he is out of bounds. He will have a sizable head start on Bell (or whoever is carrying the ball) to the sideline and he should not be throwing blocks or even staying in bounds if it comes towards him.

The only situation that leaves, IMO, is a cornerback hitting him away from the play entirely. If he is paying attention he can't be blindsided (no one can come at him from behind since his back is towards the offensive side of the ball/sideline). If they hit him in the head it is a penalty. If they take a running start at him he has time to prepare/get out of bounds. If they just try to jam him I think he will be ok.

Maybe I am missing something I don't know. I don't think it is very likely that a team would put a linebacker/or safety out on the sideline to hit Ben because that takes one more person out of the box on a play that is most likely a run.

I'm not saying we should use it. I just think you guys are reaching when you say it puts him in danger of taking a big hit.
_________________

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 3978
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there aren't passing plays in the Wildcat, it sort of becomes predictable. Can anyone explain to me the advantage of running it when:
1. You are playing 10-on-11 with Ben remaining on the field.
2. You are telling the defense it's a run.
3. You are putting your QB at some level of extra risk. Ben did think about throwing a block on one of those run plays against the Ravens. If the runner has to bounce the ball outside, guess what? Ben is forced to either run himself away from the play (which I doubt he does) or put himself at risk.

If they do run a pass:
1. Ben isn't a receiving option.
2. They have to pass the ball back to Ben, which is risky and gimmicky. It's a trick play for once in a blue moon.
3. Giving the ball back to him out there leaves him exposed.

This argument is nonsensical. The wildcat isn't, and shouldn't be part of this offense because it makes no sense for the personnel (particularly the QB) the team has available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9957
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Doesn't Like Wildcat Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
Ben wants the ball in his hands bc he wants to have the stats to make the money. Please argue against that.


oh yeah, that's a great point. He's always been a guy who accumulated stats. I can see that he wants to post some big stats so he can finally get a big payday

...

uh...yeah.

you're just so laughable with this. Do you actually believe your own tripe?

chrisororke wrote:
Even in his rookie year he wanted the ball in his hands more, and more, and more.


yeah, I wish we had a QB who didn't want the QB in his hands

chrisororke wrote:
Ben doesn't want to be a "field general" and that is exactly what I want for the offense.


well tough crap. You're not in charge, and every steelers fan on the planet is glad as well.

your blind, idiotic, mindless hate is rather humorous, although it serves as a reminder for why you get made fun of so much by everyone around here.

chrisororke wrote:
Like any one in this college class can run the offense the Steelers want to run with short screens and extended handoffs. You don't need Ben Roethlisberger to run the offense.


but as we've shown over the years, we DO need Ben to get to (and win) Super Bowls, and until we find someone else that can do the trick, we'll keep him around, whether you like it or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group