Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 London games set
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 47273
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officer Ricky wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
I would be so pissed if I was a fan of one of those home teams, especially as a season ticket holder.
Almost all the Jaguars fans I know that are season ticket holders love it. They understand why we're doing it and know that it's ultimately going to benefit the team and city. It's only the shortsighted people and those who think Shad is an evil monster that's going to steal their team that don't like it.


It's great for marketing and exposure, but bad for winning football games as a home team(losing HFA, more travel/jetlag even though the other team is traveling too, and although it's a neutral field it can almost become an away game if the fans cheer for the other team if you're losing). Also as a season ticket holder, you're losing out compared to almost what every other season ticket holder is getting around the league. You don't have to be shortsighted to not like the decision.
When the team may need to move if they don't get that marketing and exposure, yes, it's short sighted.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Officer Ricky


Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 1138
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
I would be so pissed if I was a fan of one of those home teams, especially as a season ticket holder.
Almost all the Jaguars fans I know that are season ticket holders love it. They understand why we're doing it and know that it's ultimately going to benefit the team and city. It's only the shortsighted people and those who think Shad is an evil monster that's going to steal their team that don't like it.


It's great for marketing and exposure, but bad for winning football games as a home team(losing HFA, more travel/jetlag even though the other team is traveling too, and although it's a neutral field it can almost become an away game if the fans cheer for the other team if you're losing). Also as a season ticket holder, you're losing out compared to almost what every other season ticket holder is getting around the league. You don't have to be shortsighted to not like the decision.
When the team may need to move if they don't get that marketing and exposure, yes, it's short sighted.


There's many ways to look at it and I understand what you're saying, but having games in London can also hurt your chances of keeping your team, it's not just one way which is final. You're attempting to gain a foreign market which increases foreign exposure and may help you get a bigger TV market but at the same time you're taking away from your current US fanbase by giving them less "bang for the buck" if their a season ticket holder and also taking away their ability to cheer for their team with a home crowd if it's just a regular fan that goes to the game. I don't think anyone will stop being a fan just because they play one game in London, but I'm almost certain there are people not happy with the decision and in a sense it may cause the team lose exposure to the US market. In this case, yes, I see how it is short sighted, but also like I said earlier, it hurts the teams chance of winning which in my opinion, is the biggest thing.

Being a SEA fan, we never got exposure until Caroll came along and we started winning. We also never really had the risk of moving either after Paul Allen bought the team. The fans are compassionate and relish HFA as always, so I would hate for my team to have to lose a home game because it would really hurt our chances to win. Winning games imo is the best way to get exposure, when you win, people talk about you, so I think hurting your chances at winning is an important thing to consider even though it's just one game. I understand there are circumstances and I don't mean to sound disrespectful but I guess they don't exactly have much to lose by trying to go to London. Also to note that, JAX isn't the only home team to play in London and while this may benefit JAX in the long run it will surely not benefit teams like ATL as much which could very well be in the playoff hunt during that time next year. I'm sure ATL fans don't want to lose HFA in the Georgia dome when they have such an obvious big presence there. I guess if you're a JAX fan and by not trying to go to London it can be viewed as shortsighted, but for a team like ATL, I don't think it's a great idea because you don't have as much to gain and more to lose if things go sour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 11637
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the ignorance on display as soon as an International Series thread is made. Absolutely ridiculous.

The vast majority of International fans on FF are probably more knowledgeable than some of the nonsense spewers in this thread.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texans_uk


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 29551
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Texans Sad
_________________
DallasInHeart wrote:
Buddy if you lived in Europe or ever gone to visit Europe you would know that over there Football is totally on a different level

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbadbuff23835


Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 8840
Location: NY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Love the ignorance on display as soon as an International Series thread is made. Absolutely ridiculous.

The vast majority of International fans on FF are probably more knowledgeable than some of the nonsense spewers in this thread.


Well duhhhhh.

The ratio of international posters to U.S posters is a big difference. Way more people equals more chance od getting inept people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9207
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
what the nfl should do is just send a bunch of random people to london dressed in NFL teams unis. have them play.

london can pretend they are getting a real game and the nfl teams dont actually have to go over seas and play a game.


Do you really think they are that ignorant to the nfl in London?


no, just think the whole thing is a money grab that gets annoying. you have two teams that play after a huge flight and time change makes the whole game pointless. heck the dressing up random people and putting them in the nfl logo fills the stands then there ya go nfl you did it you made the people in the UK as mindless as most nfl fans now. the nfl can poop on a plate and most people either complain and ask for seconds or eat all of it and say its better then nothing.

the whole london game is a joke. either they are stupid and think it can work or they are just going around faking the team in london to get more support.


I'm trying to wade through this word salad and find something worth replying to, but it's a struggle.

It clearly is working for them, or they wouldn't keep doing it. The NFL is generating a lot of money with the International Series; that's why they're continuing to expand it. I hope it doesn't go as far as a London franchise, because imo that would be a step too far and create more problems than it solves, but the one-off games a few times a year are a good thing for just about everyone other than the home fans who are losing out on a game they get to see. Good for the NFL's expansion plans, good for the franchises making money and good for the European fans (of which there are a lot more knowledgeable ones than you seem to think).


i didnt say the game in london wasnt working. i know why they do it. they get money, that wasnt my point. its a joke that a game that matters in the standings. thats a huge flight that takes time to get over.

and how do i benefit? merchandise must be cheaper from the more money coming in, o wait its more. maybe the tickets then? o no thats more too. i get a cut? nope thats not it. i get no benefit from it.

and i wasnt suggesting that UK fans dont know about football but that it doesnt even matter what product the nfl sends out, people eat it up. you could do the same thing here and people would eat it up.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ukjets21


Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 18704
Location: Newcastle, from Carlisle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame that the Jets don't seem likely to come over.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cali2Wisco


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 2363
Location: 1st Round Bye
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
As long as season ticket holders aren't getting charged their usual price I really see no problem at all. I actually like it to be honest. Jet lag might be an issue though and not to mention time differences for West Coast teams.


You're sig is honestly the stupidest / most immature thing I've ever seen on this site. You think its funny, but it isn't.
_________________

kiltman on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9207
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali2Wisco wrote:
The Third Rider wrote:
As long as season ticket holders aren't getting charged their usual price I really see no problem at all. I actually like it to be honest. Jet lag might be an issue though and not to mention time differences for West Coast teams.


You're sig is honestly the stupidest / most immature thing I've ever seen on this site. You think its funny, but it isn't.


I find it funny....actually find it funny every time I read it. And its been there for awhile. But I'm guessing its because my 5 secobds is probably less importa then yours.....or your just an angry person.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BathBengal


Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 1435
Location: Now in Manchester
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish they would have thrown in another venue like the Millenium or Somewhere. That would have been cool.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sector7G


Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 330
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a stupid question, but why can't the NFL schedule an London game so that it is an away game for both teams? I understand that you need a home and away team for every game, but you could designate the home team and it could just be symbolic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packerjmf


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 1953
Location: KC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but why can't the NFL schedule an London game so that it is an away game for both teams? I understand that you need a home and away team for every game, but you could designate the home team and it could just be symbolic.

How are you going to have two home teams at one game to compensate for this? Laughing I guess you could have the Jets play the Giants, but that still wouldn't fully solve the issue (and it only happens once every four years, plus there wouldn't be enough tickets for both teams' season ticket holders).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
dotmotion


Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 12110
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
and i wasnt suggesting that UK fans dont know about football but that it doesnt even matter what product the nfl sends out, people eat it up. you could do the same thing here and people would eat it up.

Errrrr, people won't eat it up. It's the difference between the Premier League sending over Manchester United v. Liverpool or them sending over Crystal Palace v. Hull City. The team and brand that you send over matters.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Luke1592


Joined: 11 Aug 2013
Posts: 923
Location: Aus
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There won't be this many games in 2015. Englanders will get board of it, the games will have lots of empty seats by the 8th game, which is why a franchise would never work in London and if they suck they would barly be able to sell a quarter of the tickets.

Why only London games? There are plenty of other big city's in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 10011
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm an English Niner fan I'm upset that I shelled out all that money for a matchup like yesterdays game. If the NFL wants the game to work there they need to make better matchups.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group