Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 London games set
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
what the nfl should do is just send a bunch of random people to london dressed in NFL teams unis. have them play.

london can pretend they are getting a real game and the nfl teams dont actually have to go over seas and play a game.

Ignorant or unfunny - which one would you rather be?

I actually found it funny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
what the nfl should do is just send a bunch of random people to london dressed in NFL teams unis. have them play.

london can pretend they are getting a real game and the nfl teams dont actually have to go over seas and play a game.

Do you really think they are that ignorant to the nfl in London?

no, just think the whole thing is a money grab that gets annoying. you have two teams that play after a huge flight and time change makes the whole game pointless. heck the dressing up random people and putting them in the nfl logo fills the stands then there ya go nfl you did it you made the people in the UK as mindless as most nfl fans now. the nfl can poop on a plate and most people either complain and ask for seconds or eat all of it and say its better then nothing.

the whole london game is a joke. either they are stupid and think it can work or they are just going around faking the team in london to get more support.

I'm trying to wade through this word salad and find something worth replying to, but it's a struggle.

It clearly is working for them, or they wouldn't keep doing it. The NFL is generating a lot of money with the International Series; that's why they're continuing to expand it. I hope it doesn't go as far as a London franchise, because imo that would be a step too far and create more problems than it solves, but the one-off games a few times a year are a good thing for just about everyone other than the home fans who are losing out on a game they get to see. Good for the NFL's expansion plans, good for the franchises making money and good for the European fans (of which there are a lot more knowledgeable ones than you seem to think).
91jmay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

Ignorant or unfunny - which one would you rather be?

I actually found it funny.

You know those things that your brain thinks but you really shouldn't admit...

Yeah. Thats one of those.

1. Is Hayden going to be a bust? Sure looked like it last year IMO..But I give him a pass because he almost died…therefore I believe anyone who almost dies deserves a pass……………

A principle to live by..
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ever schedule the Bills for it I'm gonna be furious. We already lose one home game every year to that play in Toronto where it's usually 20% Bills fans in what's supposed to be our "home" stadium if we're lucky.

Losing ANOTHER home game would be completely unfair.
daboyle250

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
If they ever schedule the Bills for it I'm gonna be furious. We already lose one home game every year to that play in Toronto where it's usually 20% Bills fans in what's supposed to be our "home" stadium if we're lucky.

Losing ANOTHER home game would be completely unfair.

What if it was an away game for the Bills?

DCRED wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants! Laughing
Ewwww.
worse thing is they've been there since Shanahan was fired
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate this. Always have, always will. I'm just glad the Niners aren't the "home" team this year and we get to play the jags. If the NFL wants this they need to start making every team go there. There are teams that have already had to play there twice since this idea came about and other teams haven't had to do it once yet.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the Falcons are 35-9 at home, only New England are better at 37-6 in the same time span, playing them in a neutral venue with a bye the week after, could be beneficial to the Lions. So im all for the Lions popping over Cool

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that the Raiders london game isn't against the 49ers. Given the issues these teams have had in the past, just in the pre-season, this seemed like a perfect solution for them to play but not have to worry about people's safety.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is so great for the game. Just as long as they don't expand over there I don't see the problem with a few London games a year.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
I think this is so great for the game. Just as long as they don't expand over there I don't see the problem with a few London games a year.
What makes it so great exactly? I'd really like to know how these crappy matchups are great for the game.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
I would be so pissed if I was a fan of one of those home teams, especially as a season ticket holder.
Almost all the Jaguars fans I know that are season ticket holders love it. They understand why we're doing it and know that it's ultimately going to benefit the team and city. It's only the shortsighted people and those who think Shad is an evil monster that's going to steal their team that don't like it.

Serious question. In what ways does it benefit the team and city? Is it mostly just exposure?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
I would be so pissed if I was a fan of one of those home teams, especially as a season ticket holder.
Almost all the Jaguars fans I know that are season ticket holders love it. They understand why we're doing it and know that it's ultimately going to benefit the team and city. It's only the shortsighted people and those who think Shad is an evil monster that's going to steal their team that don't like it.

Serious question. In what ways does it benefit the team and city? Is it mostly just exposure?
Wayne Weaver (our previous owner) was awful when it came to marketing the team and in the waning years of owning, he was running the team into the ground financially. The team was hemorrhaging money and dropping down the ranks in valuation. Honestly, had he continued to keep the team in that state, the team might have been forced to move in 5 years because the franchise may have been unsustainable in Jacksonville. Since Shad has taken over, things have done a complete 180 and things are looking really bright, but there's still a really long way to go. Shad, Mark Lamping and the city are doing a great job of marketing the team inside the city, but marketing the team nationally and globally is increasingly hard for a small market team, especially one that has done no marketing for the first 15+ years of the team's existence (and even more so for a team that's 2-21 the last two years and has lost 12 straight games, though that wasn't exactly expected when we signed up).

By playing the 4 games in London, and the extensive marketing campaign nationally and globally that the Jaguars will be doing, it's going to account for a large uptick in new fans and give a large increase in revenue both these 4 years and in the future. That increase in revenue, paired with everything else that Shad is doing inside the city of Jacksonville is going to allow this team to become one of the (I'd say this is fair) top half most valuable franchises and ultimately secure the future of the Jaguars in Jacksonville for a very, very long time.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:

It's great for marketing and exposure, but bad for winning football games as a home team(losing HFA, more travel/jetlag even though the other team is traveling too, and although it's a neutral field it can almost become an away game if the fans cheer for the other team if you're losing). Also as a season ticket holder, you're losing out compared to almost what every other season ticket holder is getting around the league. You don't have to be shortsighted to not like the decision.

Last edited by Officer Ricky on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Double post.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for next year the Lions have 8 home games, 7 away games, and 1 neutral game. Works for me. Also been reported by the Lions beat writer that they will have a bye week following the London game, so I see no downside in this game. Who knows, there is a chance that there may be more Lions supporters than Falcons supporters, so it could potentially work very well in our favor.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: