Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ike restructures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisororke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
They arent keeping Ike because they are "butt buddies" with him.

They are keeping Ike because they have nothing suitable to replace him.

I think he is overpaid, but the real issue has been our poor drafting of CBs. If we had done a better job, perhaps we wouldnt have had to extend Ike.

Keenan Lewis was good...unfortunately, by the time he proved his worth, it was his contract year and we already paid Ike.

Now, the only young CB we have worth a damn is Cortez Allen.

No they would keep Ike because they are butt buddies with him. The Steelers LOVE Ike. His play has declined. I said I would cut him, but I foresee him not going anywhere. This move is like a gentleman's agreement you won't get cut bc Ike would be indifferent to getting the same amount of money now as opposed to chopped up the last 10 weeks

Agreed we have nothing better. We are just cap strapped so we can't go after say a Vontae Davis who is a stud and an upgrade over Ike and I would even take DRC over Ike, both of which are also cheaper. You could probably get both for 12M combined and let Cortez walk in the process who is worse than Gay
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
You can say you need a franchise QB and I generally agree but I'll take my chances with any of the great QBs of this class

Most of which will be busts or backups in a few years.

1 or 2 of them, if they are lucky, might be as good as Ben or better somewhere down the line. The rest wont sniff Ben's jock.

Quote:
If I traded Ben and got Clowney and Vic Beasley to improve the defense and take Blake Bortles in say 3rd rd comp round I would say the team is significantly better and you would still have our 1st rd pick to play with.

And you would likely be wrong.

It makes us younger, but probably not better....especially at QB. Bortles would not come close to replacing Ben. There is an outside chance, but not a good one.

Quote:
It's just a savvy move and you also have 20M to spend on UFA. Jimmy Graham? Marcell Dareus? The team is so much better. Ben doesn't make us THAT better. Sorry

Jimmy Graham will never hit FA, and even if he did, we would never pay that much.

Dareus is nothing special...although I would take him over what we have now.

Even if we unloaded Ben, we wouldnt go after huge free agents.

Oh...and how many SBs did we win the 23 or so years between him in Bradshaw?

Ben may not be on the level of Manning or Brees, but he is still one of the better QBs in the game, and is the only reason we arent completely sunk.

As AFF stated, you seriously overrate how easy it is to find a franchise QB and underrate what Ben brings to this team.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
They arent keeping Ike because they are "butt buddies" with him.

They are keeping Ike because they have nothing suitable to replace him.

I think he is overpaid, but the real issue has been our poor drafting of CBs. If we had done a better job, perhaps we wouldnt have had to extend Ike.

Keenan Lewis was good...unfortunately, by the time he proved his worth, it was his contract year and we already paid Ike.

Now, the only young CB we have worth a damn is Cortez Allen.

No they would keep Ike because they are butt buddies with him. The Steelers LOVE Ike. His play has declined. I said I would cut him, but I foresee him not going anywhere. This move is like a gentleman's agreement you won't get cut bc Ike would be indifferent to getting the same amount of money now as opposed to chopped up the last 10 weeks

Agreed we have nothing better. We are just cap strapped so we can't go after say a Vontae Davis who is a stud and an upgrade over Ike and I would even take DRC over Ike, both of which are also cheaper. You could probably get both for 12M combined and let Cortez walk in the process who is worse than Gay

They supposedly loved Porter...and Faneca....and Harrison.

If they had players at CB ready to step up and needed cap space, they wouldnt keep Ike. But that is irrelevant when we have no one to replace him, and are basically forced to keep an aging player, even if he is declining.

CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody actually think Ike has declined besides him? Last year was a far worse start for Taylor than this season. He's allowed two big passes, and both times he had nearly perfect coverage.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Does anybody actually think Ike has declined besides him? Last year was a far worse start for Taylor than this season. He's allowed two big passes, and both times he had nearly perfect coverage.

I dont think he has really declined....but in reality, he likely will soon.

Im not a big Ike fan...never have been...but he has been much more consistent the last few seasons. None of those half good/half mediocre seasons he had for several years.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

I think he is GOING to decline, i don't think he has. I think he is on borrowed time. At some point, preferrably early, in this draft, we need to get a CB and it can't be a miss, it's really that simple. Damian Swann, Justin Gilbert, Roberson, Purifoy, Fuller, there's several very good CB's, we need to get one of them. Who is the best? Idk, I personally really like Justin Gilbert, though Damian Swann is growing on me as I've become more familar with him.

There are guys ranked well above both of those guys. The point however is, no matter who we take, it can't just be a chance, they have to truly believe in the guy, have truly done their homework, it has to be a hit, not a miss. Because we don't have anything in that tank at all at CB outside of Ike and Allen.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: