Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ike restructures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year it's at $123m. 125-126 have been the ballpark guesses I've seen. The Steelers already have $124m on the books for next year. With this restructure they would probably be right at or over. And that's with only 38 or so players signed.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/steelers-2014-salary-cap-situation-heading-into-the-2013-season/

They do a good job with the cap projections. I've been harping on this for a while, but with 2014 being the final years for Ike, Troy, and Heath they need to take a look at all three of their contracts. Extend or paycuts. I don't like the idea of extending three more 30+ year old players for 3rd contracts, personally. Roethlisberger may be in line for an extension, as well.

Guys like Hood, Sanders, and Pouncey need to be addressed. Maybe Worilds. Ike Taylor would have like the 2nd or 3rd highest cap hit in the league for a CB with that figure. Only Finnegan and Revis would have a chance of being over his.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this and what I've been saying for a while now:
Roethlisberger - 6th highest base salary for a QB next year
Polamalu - 2nd highest base salary for a S next year. Berry is the only guy higher, and that's because he is under the old rookie wage scale.
Taylor - 6th highest base salary for a CB, far larger cap charge, especially now
Woodley - 2nd highest base salary for an OLB
Timmons - 5th highest for an ILB

See a trend here? They are a team that sits at 2-4, but paying their talent over market value. Even Brown hovers around the top 10 WR's in the league in terms of that base salary figure.

So, 6 guys eat up almost all of the cap space. Of those, 3 are past 30. One is coming off a severe leg injury, and while he is a good player Miller probably isn't top 5 and maybe not even top 10 at his position. No one pays him that money on the market.

Same with Troy. He may still be a top safety, but you know what? At his age and with his injury history, no one is going to give him that kind of money as a free agent. We saw that this year with Ed Reed.

The only Tomlin guys who have received significant 2nd contracts right now are Brown, Woodley, and Timmons. The only other guy I can think of off the top of my head is Foster, and he was a UDFA who signed on the cheap. If they let another batch of FA's walk...

This team needs YOUNG talent. They can't keep paying these old guys who could fall off at any moment.

The Steelers have forgotten several tenants of the Steelers way. Their cap situation looks more like the Colts at the end of Polian's run, only with the money invested in old defensive players instead of offense.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben and Timmons are being paid what they're worth. Woodley would be worth a huge salary if he consistently played like he used to. Troy Ike and Miller are too old and/or have too much injury mileage for the cash they're taking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
Ben and Timmons are being paid what they're worth. Woodley would be worth a huge salary if he consistently played like he used to. Troy Ike and Miller are too old and/or have too much injury mileage for the cash they're taking.

Woodley is being paid what he's worth so far this season

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

So is Troy.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

So is Troy.

Uh Huh!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
chrisororke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got something cooking up in the kitchen in the trade front. And it looks like someone is coming in. That, or Sanders/Ben gets an extension. Good God, please not the latter.

I think this is a terrible move, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Ike still isn't gone after the year. With a 12M cap hit, you save 7M by him being cut as mentioned earlier. Harrison was a similar % of dead money, same with Colon

With that being said, I don't think they cut him bc they are butt buddies with Ike. Ike's play has gone down
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

So is Troy.

That is definitely true!

I just left that because the point of Troy's age and injury mileage is valid. I agree, at this moment in time, Troy deserves his contract. But. it's hard to say that he won't get injured based on history and so, maybe next year, he won't be earning his salary. Personally, I'm optimistic he will stay relatively healthy from here on out.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

So is Troy.

That is definitely true!

I just left that because the point of Troy's age and injury mileage is valid. I agree, at this moment in time, Troy deserves his contract. But. it's hard to say that he won't get injured based on history and so, maybe next year, he won't be earning his salary. Personally, I'm optimistic he will stay relatively healthy from here on out.

I agree with that. Just mainly talking about how they have looked this season. Troy is playing like one of the best safeties and Woodley is playing like a top 10 OLB....without much help from the DLine and being held on a regular basis.

I think the DLine is the root of our issues this year on defense. Outside of that I think our D has been quite good. Heyward is proving his worth though IMO. Hood...Im done defending him. Good guy...hard worker....but he doesnt fit our D and never will. Hopefully he can go to a 43 team and find success as a UT.

Anyway....thats another debate altogether.

Wardfan05

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

So is Troy.

That is definitely true!

I agree with that. Just mainly talking about how they have looked this season. Troy is playing like one of the best safeties and Woodley is playing like a top 10 OLB....without much help from the DLine and being held on a regular basis.

I think the DLine is the root of our issues this year on defense. Outside of that I think our D has been quite good. Heyward is proving his worth though IMO. Hood...Im done defending him. Good guy...hard worker....but he doesnt fit our D and never will. Hopefully he can go to a 43 team and find success as a UT.

Anyway....thats another debate altogether.

We should trade him to the Bears for Alshon Jeffrey!

But seriously, he's always been a square peg, round hole pick..

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Miller probably isn't top 5 and maybe not even top 10 at his position. No one pays him that money on the market.

Is this a joke? He's easily considered top-10 and would easily get that money on the open market. A TE who is very reliable as an overall blocker and has great hands? Please tell me who isn't paying him quality money.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this free money be for Tony Moeaki? Does that make any sense?

Also, this is via ESPN

Quote:
The Steelers have restructured cornerback Ike Taylor’s contract, a source told ESPN, freeing up around $3 million under the salary cap this year. The Steelers and Taylor agreed to turn his base salary this year into a signing bonus that can be spread over the remaining two years on his contract. The Steelers may still have to pay Isaac Redman close to $850,000 after releasing the fourth-year veteran last week. Redman signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract last April and the deal was not guaranteed. Redman, however, has the option of claiming the rest of the money on the contract via a termination payment that the collective bargaining allows players to exercise one time during their career.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
They got something cooking up in the kitchen in the trade front. And it looks like someone is coming in. That, or Sanders/Ben gets an extension. Good God, please not the latter.

I think this is a terrible move, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Ike still isn't gone after the year. With a 12M cap hit, you save 7M by him being cut as mentioned earlier. Harrison was a similar % of dead money, same with Colon

With that being said, I don't think they cut him bc they are butt buddies with Ike. Ike's play has gone down

Eventually you'll realize elite qbs don't grow on trees.

This isn't madden...carry on.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They arent keeping Ike because they are "butt buddies" with him.

They are keeping Ike because they have nothing suitable to replace him.

I think he is overpaid, but the real issue has been our poor drafting of CBs. If we had done a better job, perhaps we wouldnt have had to extend Ike.

Keenan Lewis was good...unfortunately, by the time he proved his worth, it was his contract year and we already paid Ike.

Now, the only young CB we have worth a damn is Cortez Allen.

chrisororke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
chrisororke wrote:

Eventually you'll realize elite qbs don't grow on trees.

This isn't madden...carry on.

Look at the Giants. Eli Manning is paid 20M as a cap hit or roughly 16.66% of the cap. I will take an upstart rookie QB (like one of the six that will go rd 1 this year) any day. They lost so much talent bc they had to retain Eli. A franchise QB that isn't a franchise QB like Eli, Ben (not say Brady, Peyton, Brees) it cripples the rest of the team bc you don't have enough cash to go around.

You can say you need a franchise QB and I generally agree but I'll take my chances with any of the great QBs of this class

If I traded Ben and got Clowney and Vic Beasley to improve the defense and take Blake Bortles in say 3rd rd comp round I would say the team is significantly better and you would still have our 1st rd pick to play with. It's just a savvy move and you also have 20M to spend on UFA. Jimmy Graham? Marcell Dareus? The team is so much better. Ben doesn't make us THAT better. Sorry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: