Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Lattimore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9erNation2013 wrote:
Hunter is a solid 2 and one Lattimore takes reign that combo will be nice. James to me is the wild card. I'm wondering if his costly Super Bowl fumble is maybe a small factor in not having more of a pivitol role...just my opinion.

Just thinking of how we can keep up with these Seahawks. Man, did they get lucky this year with their schedule or what?

To be fair to Seattle, some of their opponents on their schedule were expected to be a lot better this year. Even we have benefited from some of that as well. Who thought Houston was going to be a walk in the park before the season started?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Marcus Lattimore Reply with quote

9erNation2013 wrote:
Anyone think we will see Marcus Lattimore this season? Their backfield is so staked so I would be surprised if we do. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on him and why style of back is he? I didn't follow him much in college.

For style, think Emmitt Smith, I would say. Incredibly powerful, great vision, and phenomenally well-rounded in the passing game. Not the fastest or most agile, but he can surprise you with his lateral quickness from time to time. Gore is maybe the best current comparison, but I think Gore has a bit more top speed, while Lattimore has more power and balance. I've seen many comparisons to Foster, but they have different skillsets to me (Foster is in the Priest Holmes vein of a lateral moving vision guy, while Lattimore is going to look to punish someone when he gets in the open field.)

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Marcus Lattimore Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:
Anyone think we will see Marcus Lattimore this season? Their backfield is so staked so I would be surprised if we do. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on him and why style of back is he? I didn't follow him much in college.

For style, think Emmitt Smith, I would say. Incredibly powerful, great vision, and phenomenally well-rounded in the passing game. Not the fastest or most agile, but he can surprise you with his lateral quickness from time to time. Gore is maybe the best current comparison, but I think Gore has a bit more top speed, while Lattimore has more power and balance. I've seen many comparisons to Foster, but they have different skillsets to me (Foster is in the Priest Holmes vein of a lateral moving vision guy, while Lattimore is going to look to punish someone when he gets in the open field.)

Thanks for the insight, how much did his style of play change after his first ACL injury?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Marcus Lattimore Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

Thanks for the insight, how much did his style of play change after his first ACL injury?

Surprisingly little, actually. He was a little bit hesitant to cut, IMO, the first two games or so of 2012. He was more prone to run into, say, a defensive lineman, who he would normally have tried to juke or spin. But for sure by the Missouri game (4th game of 2012) he was playing just the same as before. And I wouldn't expect it to even take that long with you guys, as you're giving him far more time to recover than we did. He's a guy who wants to play, and we weren't really going to tell him no. But the Missouri game was when we really started getting him back involved on screens and flat routes, and I think getting him in the open field had his instincts take back over.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first few weeks he lacked a bit of explosiveness? I remember watching the opener and he didnt quite have the same burst as the season prior. Are you saying by week 4 he started to get some of it back and in result started to run with more confidence? I mean I certainly don't expect him to be as explosive as he waa before the two ACL surgeries.

Hypothetically, let's say in two yeara he becomes the starting RB, what kind of numbers do you expect from him?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Interesting, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first few weeks he lacked a bit of explosiveness? I remember watching the opener and he didnt quite have the same burst as the season prior. Are you saying by week 4 he started to get some of it back and in result started to run with more confidence? I mean I certainly don't expect him to be as explosive as he waa before the two ACL surgeries.

Hypothetically, let's say in two yeara he becomes the starting RB, what kind of numbers do you expect from him?

More or less, yeah. In my opinion and memory, anyways. It was really telling considering he was playing teams like Eastern Carolina and was getting tackled one on one by far inferior players. But it really struck me as as much mental as physical. Which is understandable.

It really depends on how they use him. He's an interesting back to me in that you really can use him however you'd like. He's not the typical bruiser like a Brandon Jacobs or Larry Johnson, or even Marshawn Lynch, in that he has far superior pass protection and receiving skills. So he can be a 3 down back if healthy, but I don't think SF would NEED to do that, so I doubt they would. I'd expect production similar to a peak Gore given the situation and players. Get him something like 225-250 carries and he'll put up a solid 1200-1300 yards (he could handle more than that, but that doesn't seem like this coaching staff's tendency.) If SF's offense is still doing well at that time, he's a damn near lock for double digit TDs. And if you use him as an every down back (I don't know how James or Hunter tend to do in passing roles) he's perfectly capable of 40-50 receptions and around 400 receiving yards. It just would depend on what SF needs from him. This all, of course, is contingent on him recovering from this injury similarly to how he recovered from his initial one.

Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important note I want to add, too, regarding Lattimore as a prospect. While the Gamecocks are SEC, and they have been upper SEC recently, we are not the Alabama Crimson Tide. We're not even the Wisconsin Badgers. You're not getting a Trent Richardson, Glen Coffee, Mark Ingram, or Montee Ball. During Lattimore's tenure at SC, he had a pretty mediocre line overall. When we played a Florida, a 'Bama, or an LSU, our line was instantly at a disadvantage, if not in size, then in overall talent.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do remember him getting taken down so easily and barely averaging over 4 ypc during the early going. Not saying that is terrible or anything, but not to the level he was accustomed to playing.

So glad you mentioned he is terrific in pass protection as that was going to be my next question LOL. Gore is one of the absolute best at it and this was one thing we all worried about once he was replaced.

Hunter isn't really much of a factor in the passing game, and who knows if James will even be on the roster in two years.

Basically you are saying there won't be much of a drop off from Gore to Lattimore if he regains his form from last season? That would be terrific, but I'm guessing Hunter will be more involved in the offense once Gore leaves.

If Lattimore does become the player you described, our 2013 draft could be better than the 2011 one which was great in itself.

Again, really appreciate the insight you provided!

By the way, any chance you guys could give us Cooper back? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Yeah, I do remember him getting taken down so easily and barely averaging over 4 ypc during the early going. Not saying that is terrible or anything, but not to the level he was accustomed to playing.

So glad you mentioned he is terrific in pass protection as that was going to be my next question LOL. Gore is one of the absolute best at it and this was one thing we all worried about once he was replaced.

Hunter isn't really much of a factor in the passing game, and who knows if James will even be on the roster in two years.

Basically you are saying there won't be much of a drop off from Gore to Lattimore if he regains his form from last season? That would be terrific, but I'm guessing Hunter will be more involved in the offense once Gore leaves.

If Lattimore does become the player you described, our 2013 draft could be better than the 2011 one which was great in itself.

Again, really appreciate the insight you provided!

By the way, any chance you guys could give us Cooper back? Wink

Yeah, I certainly think a healthy Lattimore could effectively replace Gore's production for you. And really, our biggest issue losing Lattimore at SC has been replacing his blocking. Mike Davis is every bit the runner Lattimore was (and a bit faster, which is crazy), but the guy can't block worth a damn, and doesn't understand how to catch a pass and run afterwards. So we miss his passing game contributions more than anything.

As a Gamecock fan, I was ecstatic to see him go here. A good team that would be able to rest him and then use him properly. The guy deserves it. Short of Will Shields, the humblest player I've ever met in real life.

And no. Cooper is ours, you can never have him back, and you will forever rue the day you cut him Laughing

FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Marcus Lattimore Reply with quote

9erNation2013 wrote:

he's basically Frank Gore in a bigger body. injury history and everything, hes a lot like Gore.

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9erNation2013 wrote:
Hunter is a solid 2 and once Lattimore takes reign that combo will be nice. James to me is the wild card. I'm wondering if his costly Super Bowl fumble is maybe a small factor in not having more of a pivitol role...just my opinion.

Just thinking of how we can keep up with these Seahawks. Man, did they get lucky this year with their schedule or what?

How did they get lucky with their schedule? And the only difference between the two teams was their week 2 match up. Also,

Quote:
Bill Williamson ‏@BWilliamsonESPN 3m
#49ers have fourth easiest remaining schedule in NFL. Remaining opponents’ combined winning percentage is .414.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:
Hunter is a solid 2 and once Lattimore takes reign that combo will be nice. James to me is the wild card. I'm wondering if his costly Super Bowl fumble is maybe a small factor in not having more of a pivitol role...just my opinion.

How did they get lucky with their schedule? And the only difference between the two teams was their week 2 match up. Also,

I think they just got some things that went their way. i.e. Tennessee without Locker and Rams without Bradford. The timing is just working out for them in my opinion.

Quote:
Bill Williamson ‏@BWilliamsonESPN 3m
#49ers have fourth easiest remaining schedule in NFL. Remaining opponents’ combined winning percentage is .414.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Marcus Lattimore Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
9erNation2013 wrote:

I think this is about right. In the big picture of how different running back styles can be he's pretty close to Gore - wihch will be a very good thing if he can fully reccover.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: