Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns bench Weeden; Jason Campbell to start at KC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Another week, another backup QB making his first start against KC. 3 or the last 4 weeks! Could a 7-0 team have it any easier? Fitzpatrick, Keenum now Campbell. Oh.... and whomever Buffalo starts next week.

As for Campbell, I've always felt for the guy. He was playing good football in '11 for Oakland when he went down. Never seemed to get it back in Chicago. Another chance to show he can be a decent backup.

We could be facing Weeden instead.
BamaRam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, there have been many picks worse than Weeden. Leaf was a nutcase, Russel stopped caring completely, etc. He doesn't touch the list of worst draft picks in hindsight.

But I think he is definitely in the running for worst draft pick at-the-time-of-his-drafting. A 28 year old QB on his second sport that played for a joke offense in college. Who didn't see what a trainwreck of a pick it was at the time. He is up there with Pat White in this category.

I was convinced Tannehill was going to go to them at #4.
candyman93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy got lost under a flag before his first game.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
He saw a guy who he wanted, and there was even a possibility he wouldn't get him, so he went up and got him. Its the same reason he traded up for Montario Hardesty, and why he "over drafted" Phil Taylor. Sending a couple picks we didn't have space for to a non-division opponent to ensure we got our guy wasn't a bad move.
Except it was a bad move in that they allowed themselves to get played by Minnesota into believing that the Bucs were looking for a trade when it turns out that they weren't. They could have stayed at 4 and gotten T-Rich. It was smart to move up for their guy because they thought that he was going to be traded up for by someone else, and I said as much when the trade happened. But it wasn't smart to get played by Minnesota into believing a team that wasn't interested actually was.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
roger murdock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

One of the worst draft picks in NFL history.

Not even worst pick the Browns have had at QB at #22 overall

Yep

He was for sure a bust, but he is no where near the list of worst picks of all time.

No where near

In all my time following the draft, I have never seen a prospect be the laughing stock of the draft before hes picked like the way Weeden was. Every teams fans wanted to avoid taking the ginger grandpa in the first round. It seemed inconceivably stupid to most people..... and we took him....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

I don't know about that. You can't really be sure if Weeden is even going to be in the league after this year, Quinn is still circulating as a backup.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

I don't know about that. You can't really be sure if Weeden is even going to be in the league after this year, Quinn is still circulating as a backup.

I feel like Weeden would make a great 3rd QB, just as long as your #1-2 QBs dont get hurt. He seems like he would make a solid QB to have on your team so he can be your scout team QB. Its just a shame he cant make it as a starter because he has the arm talent but just cant get the game mentally. Weeden has the arm of a NFL starting QB but the rest of his ability is a 3rd string QB. I rather have Weeden as my 3rd string QB then Quinn because Weeden will at least be a good QB to pratice against when you just show him a scout team card and he as to go out and run that play for your starting defense

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
iPwn wrote:

That whole draft was largely mismanaged. Moving up for T-Rich made sense because they thought that TB was going to move up for him, but they were tricked by Minnesota into believing that and then the fact that T-Rich wasn't that good further makes that move look bad.

People made a big deal of this but its really just evidence that they didn't really understand how Heckert worked the draft. First, you'll recall that Cleveland made 11 selections in that draft, which is just absurd. So we had picks to spare and second Heckert was a guy who would not take risks on the draft board.

He saw a guy who he wanted, and there was even a possibility he wouldn't get him, so he went up and got him. Its the same reason he traded up for Montario Hardesty, and why he "over drafted" Phil Taylor. Sending a couple picks we didn't have space for to a non-division opponent to ensure we got our guy wasn't a bad move.

The fact that Richardson failed was the only reason it was a bad move. Had he come out and been AP-lite no one would have cared that we gave up a 4th and some late picks to move up and get him.

Quote:
It gets inflated because it was such an obvious bust; did anybody think it was a good pick at the time?

I'll point you to my response at the time:

Estonianzulu wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=489697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

lol cheers the laugh, i can imagine if my team did that i would be going nuts. Reminds me of reading through the Jags draft day thread when they drafted a punter in the 3rd round. Laughing

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm being very objective...

twitter: @lards90
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

Maybe not worst, but it had to be one of the dumbest picks from the beginning..

Yeah I wouldn't say it was one of the worst because it won't really hinder them that bad compared to drafting a #1 overall pick and having it bust and holding the franchise back several years, but it sure was a dumb pick that just doesn't seem to have that much of an upside.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
iPwn wrote:

That whole draft was largely mismanaged. Moving up for T-Rich made sense because they thought that TB was going to move up for him, but they were tricked by Minnesota into believing that and then the fact that T-Rich wasn't that good further makes that move look bad.

People made a big deal of this but its really just evidence that they didn't really understand how Heckert worked the draft. First, you'll recall that Cleveland made 11 selections in that draft, which is just absurd. So we had picks to spare and second Heckert was a guy who would not take risks on the draft board.

The fact that Richardson failed was the only reason it was a bad move. Had he come out and been AP-lite no one would have cared that we gave up a 4th and some late picks to move up and get him.

Quote:
It gets inflated because it was such an obvious bust; did anybody think it was a good pick at the time?

I'll point you to my response at the time:

Estonianzulu wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=489697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

the change from the first 5 pages of that thread to the last 5 is Cray Cray.

first 5 people are literally giving up fandom.

last 5? BELIEVELAND
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread was epic

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officer Ricky wrote:
that just doesn't seem to have that much of an upside.

I dont know about that. I hated the Weeden pick but the guy does have impressive physical talent. Tall, decent mechanics and a rocket of an arm. There is a great deal of upside, there's just not a lot of time available to tap into it
shawn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
FootballProdiG wrote:
Like everyone is saying I can't believe he went in the first round. Absolutely one of the most horrid picks I've ever seen. What a waste of a first round..

Whoa-whoa-whoa.

It's waaaay too early to label this kid a bust. Let's remember, it was only thirteen years ago that he was still in high school!

That's only last century. Give him a few more years, wait 'till his hairline has receded to the crown of his head, let's see how he plays when he starts to develop a middle-age spread, check him out when he has a couple of degenerative diseases- and then maybe he can be called a waste of a first-round pick!

Let's be fair- you get a kid like that, who's only thirty or so, suddenly in possession of millions of dollars, bedazzled by the bright lights and party atmosphere of Cleveland, NATURALLY it's going to take him a decade or two to develop.

Don't forget- George Blanda arguably played his best football when he was what, forty-seven or so? Who's to say the same thing won't happen with Weeden?

There's still time- and hope- for this splendid young man!

Laughing , I agree, with a change of scenery we could see a whole new Weeden.

sig made by mike23md
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart move drafting a guy in his prime years and skip the growing pains but I just never realized how old he is.

Matt Stafford will be in his 9th year by the team he reaches Weedens age when drafted.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
Smart move drafting a guy in his prime years and skip the growing pains but I just never realized how old he is.

Matt Stafford will be in his 9th year by the team he reaches Weedens age when drafted.
Aaron Rodgers, a guy who has been in the league for 9 seasons, is younger then Weeden.

Kempes on the custom sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: