Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns bench Weeden; Jason Campbell to start at KC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

One of the worst draft picks in NFL history.

Not even worst pick the Browns have had at QB at #22 overall

Yep

He was for sure a bust, but he is no where near the list of worst picks of all time.

No where near

It gets inflated because it was such an obvious bust; did anybody think it was a good pick at the time?

It's such a weird situation because if Weeden was a 23 year old sophomore, I don't think he would be getting benched. But he isn't, he is 30(?)...he needed to show he could be a franchise QB quickly if he wanted a chance in this league and failed to do so. He is being treated like any other 30 year old QB with no accomplishments in the league. He looks more raw than the other QBs from his class and obviously the Browns can't afford to build around him. Especially with the way their defense has played...they need to try and win games now.

sig made by mike23md
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another week, another backup QB making his first start against KC. 3 or the last 4 weeks! Could a 7-0 team have it any easier? Fitzpatrick, Keenum now Campbell. Oh.... and whomever Buffalo starts next week.

As for Campbell, I've always felt for the guy. He was playing good football in '11 for Oakland when he went down. Never seemed to get it back in Chicago. Another chance to show he can be a decent backup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember before the draft there was this one Chiefs fan arguing about how phenomenal a QB Weeden would be in the NFL.

Those were fun threads. Laughing

Good decision. They go nowhere with Weeden, at least Campbell gives them some semblance of a chance at winning.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

That whole draft was largely mismanaged. Moving up for T-Rich made sense because they thought that TB was going to move up for him, but they were tricked by Minnesota into believing that and then the fact that T-Rich wasn't that good further makes that move look bad.

People made a big deal of this but its really just evidence that they didn't really understand how Heckert worked the draft. First, you'll recall that Cleveland made 11 selections in that draft, which is just absurd. So we had picks to spare and second Heckert was a guy who would not take risks on the draft board.

He saw a guy who he wanted, and there was even a possibility he wouldn't get him, so he went up and got him. Its the same reason he traded up for Montario Hardesty, and why he "over drafted" Phil Taylor. Sending a couple picks we didn't have space for to a non-division opponent to ensure we got our guy wasn't a bad move.

The fact that Richardson failed was the only reason it was a bad move. Had he come out and been AP-lite no one would have cared that we gave up a 4th and some late picks to move up and get him.

Quote:
It gets inflated because it was such an obvious bust; did anybody think it was a good pick at the time?

I'll point you to my response at the time:

Estonianzulu wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=489697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to update it? Laughing

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
candyman93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
iPwn wrote:

That whole draft was largely mismanaged. Moving up for T-Rich made sense because they thought that TB was going to move up for him, but they were tricked by Minnesota into believing that and then the fact that T-Rich wasn't that good further makes that move look bad.

People made a big deal of this but its really just evidence that they didn't really understand how Heckert worked the draft. First, you'll recall that Cleveland made 11 selections in that draft, which is just absurd. So we had picks to spare and second Heckert was a guy who would not take risks on the draft board.

He saw a guy who he wanted, and there was even a possibility he wouldn't get him, so he went up and got him. Its the same reason he traded up for Montario Hardesty, and why he "over drafted" Phil Taylor. Sending a couple picks we didn't have space for to a non-division opponent to ensure we got our guy wasn't a bad move.

The fact that Richardson failed was the only reason it was a bad move. Had he come out and been AP-lite no one would have cared that we gave up a 4th and some late picks to move up and get him.

Quote:

Estonianzulu wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=489697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That first page says it all

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJerseypaint wrote:
I was always a big Jason Campbell supporter. Gordon is going to have a good amount of jump balls coming his way.

The only way Gordon will have a good amount of passes coming his way is if his routes keep him within 5 or so yards of the LOS with Campbell at QB.
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone is saying I can't believe he went in the first round. Absolutely one of the most horrid picks I've ever seen. What a waste of a first round..
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I wanted to play against Weeden!

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
20 catches, 274 yards, 3 TDs
BLick12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Will Weeden be in the NFL next year? He can't start, would be a bad number 2 QB, doesn't have any wisdom or leadership to offer young players, and is too old to be worth developing.

One of the worst draft picks in NFL history.

Yeah, when the rumors were spreading about him being picked in the first round, I thought it was a joke. Then it actually did happen, and I felt bad for the Browns fans.

It was like Christian Ponder the year before. I just stat there shaking my head thinking, "no way this guy is worth a first round pick". Sad what teams desperate for a QB will convince themselves.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
BLick12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Quote:

Estonianzulu wrote:

That first page says it all

Oh man, that is all I read and I died laughing. I'm sorry, I feel for you guys, but that first page was some legendary reactions. I love you Brownies.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Weeden pick was the most perplexing to me in that draft. It enver made any sense and his play certainly hasn't justified the Browns putting any more time into him.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think for a moment that Weeden's career is over. However, he may never start again.

Campbell is another guy that never had a good situation. This may be more his speed. Neither of these guys is all that elusive. Then again, Vick and Pryor are elusive--to the tune of 16 sacks in teh two games against the Chiefs.

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Like everyone is saying I can't believe he went in the first round. Absolutely one of the most horrid picks I've ever seen. What a waste of a first round..

Whoa-whoa-whoa.

It's waaaay too early to label this kid a bust. Let's remember, it was only thirteen years ago that he was still in high school!

That's only last century. Give him a few more years, wait 'till his hairline has receded to the crown of his head, let's see how he plays when he starts to develop a middle-age spread, check him out when he has a couple of degenerative diseases- and then maybe he can be called a waste of a first-round pick!

Let's be fair- you get a kid like that, who's only thirty or so, suddenly in possession of millions of dollars, bedazzled by the bright lights and party atmosphere of Cleveland, NATURALLY it's going to take him a decade or two to develop.

Don't forget- George Blanda arguably played his best football when he was what, forty-seven or so? Who's to say the same thing won't happen with Weeden?

There's still time- and hope- for this splendid young man!
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as many predicted at the time he was drafted, the Weeden experiment failed miserably, a huge waste of a first round pick.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: