Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Martez Wilson was the odd man out:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Why Martez Wilson was the odd man out: Reply with quote

First off, we should all take a moment to actually breathe a sigh of relief after this latest transaction because this move clearly is an indication that the Saints front office and coaching staff feel they may have found the heir apparent to Drew Brees at quarterback in Ryan Griffin. By moving him to the active 53 man roster they bumped his annually salary form around $100,000 on the practice squad to about $400,000 as a minimum active roster NFL player. The move also cost the team depth at an already shallow position when they were forced to release Wilson who was the 72nd overall selection not more than a few years ago. Teams do not do these types of things likely and the fact that the Saints went this route in order to protect a player from joining other teams speaks volumes to what they actually think about that prospect.

Now on to Wilson…

I guess the #1 thing with Wilson is the fact that he fell into the category of someone who was always more of an athlete than a football player. Throughout his time in New Orleans Wilson has played multiple positions and never really exceled at any. Even coming out of Illinois he was considered a great (but stiff) athlete without a true position and that simply hasn’t changed. There was a lot of promise heading into this season regarding Wilson because many felt he’d finally find a home as a 34 outside edge rusher in Rob Ryan’s defensive scheme and while I still feel that this position (if any) will still ultimately be Wilson’s best fit in the NFL. However, due to injuries and personal around Wilson Rob Ryan was forced to almost abandon the 34 look all together in New Orleans and the fact that a player as physically gifted as Wilson at a position with as little depth as it has was deemed expendable could possibly be a hint as to where and what this defense will be heading into the future.

For the most part the Saints have instituted a 4-2-5 base defense this season. This is due to Ryan doing what we all were screaming for Steve Spagnuolo to do last season… he’s playing to the strengths of his personnel. Cam Jordan, Akiem Hicks, Jon Jenkins & Junior Galette offer Ryan the best potential pass rush out of this 4 man front and each one of them are better pass rushers with their hand in the dirt (including Galette) and the depth behind them are versatile players like Tom Johnson, Tyrunn Walker, Brodrick Bunkley and Glenn Foster. This is an extremely versatile defensive front which allows Ryan to utilize different looks but the lack of depth at outside stand up linebacker leans Ryan to keep more down lineman on the football field. This look also allows Ryan to substitute his many inside linebackers which is strength of this club and also allows him to showcase his 3 safety look that is becoming the rage in New Orleans. Kenny Vaccaro is the key to his defensive scheme and it is clear why he was the 15th pick in the 2013 NFL draft. Ryan has really blurred the lines of what and who are actually linebackers and safeties in his current defensive looks. This has caused tremendous confusion to opposing quarterbacks and of course this has been by design.

Looking fwd. into the future… I don’t see a 34 defense ever really coming to fruition in New Orleans. I really believe we will continue to see more of what we see now with a heavy implementation of Ryan’s daddy’s famed 46 bear scheme in pressure situations. This could be a reason Martez Wilson was phased out. As a linebacker in what Ryan wants to do, Wilson was by far too stiff in coverage and as an end with his hand in the dirt he didn’t possess the base to hold up against the run. The only position Wilson had a chance at sticking at would be the Bear hybrid DE/OLB Ryan would implement in his 46 looks which is basically a stand up defensive end from the old school 50 defensive front. Once again, Wilson’s inability to set the edge in the running game was his undoing here and basically made him expendable moving forward.

I’m sure that Martez Wilson will land on an NFL roster and may eventually find his much sought after fit in this league and I wish him the best but it’s clear that despite his tremendous physical tools, his game simply was not going to work in New Orleans.

Now, having said all this… it would not surprise me if the Wilson finds his way back onto the Saints roster in the future if he’s not picked up through waivers but the fact that he was cut over some of the other players currently on the roster is telling.

UPDATE: Martez Wilson has been claimed off waivers by the Oakland Raiders

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Why Martez Wilson was the odd man out: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
I guess the #1 thing with Wilson is the fact that he fell into the category of someone who was always more of an athlete than a football player.

I think this hits the nail on the head. I agree 100%. I really liked him, but he just never seemed to really fit into any position. I wanted him to. I believed he could, but I was wrong. I can admit that. I wish him luck.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Martez Wilson was the odd man out: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
I guess the #1 thing with Wilson is the fact that he fell into the category of someone who was always more of an athlete than a football player.

I think this hits the nail on the head. I agree 100%. I really liked him, but he just never seemed to really fit into any position. I wanted him to. I believed he could, but I was wrong. I can admit that. I wish him luck.

Totally agree NavyMan... I remember a scouting report I read about him a while back after the draft when we selected him in the 3rd round. I was curious why a guy a lot of scouts and media outlets had in the top 20 picks would fall all the way into the 3rd round (72nd overall). I mean it wasn't like Wilson did anything to destroy his draft stock before the draft, actually it was the exact reverse because most felt like he locked up a 1st round selection after his performance at the NFL combine.

The report basically said this... "Despite a concerning neck injury Wilson sustained in college, it is Wilson's lack of true defined position that will cause him to slip on draft day. A superior athlete but also a concerning amount of stiffness to his game. Character is also a concern."

I honestly think that says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got waived by Oakland. Everyone can relax!

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: