You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Draft Options for the Cardinals
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which QB would you prefer?
Tom Savage
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Zach Mettenberger
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Logan Thomas
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: QB Draft Options for the Cardinals Reply with quote

So I'm sure some of you have seen or heard some of the details from the Keim/Arians press conference that took place today. They stated there are a "few" QB's they like. There's been speculation about the Cards having interest in some of the big, strong armed QB's that could potentially fit in Arians vertical passing offense. As far as big, strong-armed QB's look no further than Tom Savage, Zach Mettenberger, and Logan Thomas. Now these guys check the size and arm strength boxes but have some serious deficiencies in other areas of their game.

So my question is, which of these three QB's do you like the most (dislike the least)? I'm sure some of you, myself included, would rather not take a QB than take one of these three. But we don't make the decisions, we only speculate about them. They also said in the press conference it's going to take more than a 3rd round pick to get a QB who can beat out Lindley for the #3 QB spot. So lets assume we are spending our 2nd round pick on this QB, regardless of which one it is.

So which of Savage, Mettenberger, and Thomas would you be least upset about the Cardinals drafting in the 2nd round?
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant answer the question. I would be so upset with any of those 3 in the 2nd round
holeman1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of the three id say Thomas, bigger upside than the other two and can play TE, I could see him being taken in the third, but by us? I don't think so.

as far as what I think the team should do is get Mike Glennon, Tampa is in a good position where they could get Teddy, Manziel, or Bortles (they have expressed interest in all of them) with their first round pick, if they do draft one then they would cut Glennon and I think at that point we could grab him for a 2015 7th or something. Glennon fits BA's QB mold perfectly, he is big, has a cannon of a arm, and has great mechanics , the thing I like most about him is that he does well even with bad offenses, as was shown in his performances with Tampa and NC State.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a difficult question to answer. I honestly don't see any of these QB's developing into a starting caliber QB. But I'm getting the impression Arians is looking for a QB with the traits these three QB's have. If I were to guess, these three QB's have the highest probability of being selected by the Cardinals. Using our 2nd rounder makes it especially tough but there's been chatter of these guys going in that area.

I was high on Mettenberger to start the process but I've cooled off on him. He's got a slow release, injury concerns, horrible mobility, and questionable character and work ethic. But I do think he's probably the most pro-ready out of these 3 outside of coming off an ACL tear.

I voted Logan Thomas. He's the definition of a project. Very raw and only has 4 years of experience playing QB. But if Arians thinks he's some sort of QB guru then let's see what he can do with a guy who needs a ton of work like LT.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hope they are blowing smoke, being a week out and not wanting to tip your hat to selections (I cannot see why they would be telling anyone now, would you?)

If it has to be anyone out of the 3, then I hope it is LT

Cannot stand Zac and Savage never wowed me and seem pointless picks for a #3 QB anyway
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all three of these Quarterbacks with un-draftable type grades. I might consider Thomas as a TE, but other than that. Don't want any of these guys on my team.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I have all three of these Quarterbacks with un-draftable type grades. I might consider Thomas as a TE, but other than that. Don't want any of these guys on my team.

+1

#JDI
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:

So you voted Thomas then? Wink

I don't want any of these guys on my team either. But if I were to guess which QB the Cards might draft, I would guess it would be one of these three.

A couple things Thomas has going for him are apparently he's a great leader and a hard worker. When a guy's got a ton of things to work on it's essential he's willing to learn and put in the work to make changes.

His biggest issue seems to be his accuracy. If he can correct his footwork he should be able to improve in this area. Obviously he's got some serious decision making issues as well.

Don't see any way he would beat out Stanton as our #2. So realistically he would have an entire season to sit and learn without any pressure to start. Might be just what the kid needs.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
His biggest issue seems to be his accuracy. If he can correct his footwork he should be able to improve in this area. Obviously he's got some serious decision making issues as well.

Don't see any way he would beat out Stanton as our #2. So realistically he would have an entire season to sit and learn without any pressure to start. Might be just what the kid needs.

But, he's kinda like Jake Locker was, footwork, setup, mechanics are good. He just misses guys.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He tries to hard to make big plays every play

Which if you watch any VT game in 2013, was because he had no talent on the off side of the ball.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

But, he's kinda like Jake Locker was, footwork, setup, mechanics are good. He just misses guys.

I won't act like I have a great understanding of QB mechanics. But I think there's a pretty strong correlation with him failing to get his base squared to his target (opening up his shoulders) and him being inaccurate with his throws. And I think that's what Mayock refers to when he says LT has "lazy" footwork.

Other times he misses high even in a clean pocket and I think that's a different issue. Possibly related to gripping too hard or putting too much velocity on a throw.

UNC 2013 is a game where he made consistently nice accurate NFL throws.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot get your feet set, it puts the rest of your mechanics out of sink

Try throwing at something off your back foot, it sails, off your front foot it drops

Feet can be fixed if you are looking for a positive here
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:

Try throwing at something off your back foot, it sails, off your front foot it drops

Yeah, I just don't see Thomas getting more accurate as a passer even if the issue is based around his feet.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

Yeah, I just don't see Thomas getting more accurate as a passer even if the issue is based around his feet.

When he gets his feet set he is pretty good

He has decent stats, not great stats for a college QB, if he could improve his comp percentage by only 5 - 8 percent (1 in 16 - 20 throws) he would be talked about being first round.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
khodder wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

When he gets his feet set he is pretty good

He has decent stats, not great stats for a college QB, if he could improve his comp percentage by only 5 - 8 percent (1 in 16 - 20 throws) he would be talked about being first round.

I'd love to see his pro day and what changes QB coach George Whitfield was able to instill in him. Whitfield has worked with some big time QB's like Luck and Big Ben.

But it's not like accuracy is his only issue. He's still got to cut back on the turnovers and poor decision making.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: