Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can the 2014 Vikings be the 2013 Chiefs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1248
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Can the 2014 Vikings be the 2013 Chiefs? Reply with quote

This team is loaded with so much talent. It is so frustrating at times to see this team at 1-5 right now. I was thinking about this today and i thought about the Chiefs.

The Chiefs in 2012 had so much talent on their team. They had 6 Pro Bowlers. They went 2-14 and still had 6 Pro Bowlers. 1 year later with a new head coach they sit at 7-0.

I feel like this team has as enough talent to match up with any team in this league and compete with them. Sure we have holes but what team doesn't. The Vikings will probably struggle the rest of this year and finish with a high pick. The coaching staff will probably be let go, and hopefully we can bring in a good one. We will still probably have a few pro bowlers this year.

I am sick of people saying the Vikings are wasting Adrian. I feel like we can compete and we are not far from it. Anyway, what do you all think?


Plus, the 2012 Chiefs had Cassel, and we have Cassel this year!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25279
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite going 2-14 the Chiefs still had a very good defense that was hung out to dry by an turnover prone offense. The defense includes two of the very best pass rushers in the game in Justin Houston and Tamba Hali to go with a great ILB in Derrick Johnson, an all pro safety in Eric Berry, and an emerging nose tackle in Dontari Poe.

The Vikings don't have a solid unit to build on like the Chiefs did.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48005
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having a stable head coach was the huge factor in tehre quick turn around. Which is why I prefer Lovie Smith. A veteran coach combined with improvement from the QB position and defense will be a necessity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1248
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Despite going 2-14 the Chiefs still had a very good defense that was hung out to dry by an turnover prone offense. The defense includes two of the very best pass rushers in the game in Justin Houston and Tamba Hali to go with a great ILB in Derrick Johnson, an all pro safety in Eric Berry, and an emerging nose tackle in Dontari Poe.

The Vikings don't have a solid unit to build on like the Chiefs did.



The chiefs did have a solid unit but they also added a lot of pieces. The Vikings have some solid pieces as well. I agree with VR that with a strong coaching staff and another spielman offseason, this team can compete now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerfaninmn


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 7157
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chiefs also had a slew of untapped top 10 picks which is something the Vikes don't have. I find this a big reason for Seattle's and San Francisco's rise. A bunch of top picks on those squads that just needed competent coaching to get it done. The Vikings have some talent but that defense is garbage. Smith and Rhodes are promising but other than that it's pretty bad. I have no idea what happened to the o line but that should be correctable one would think.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bodysuit Man


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 740
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
The Chiefs also had a slew of untapped top 10 picks which is something the Vikes don't have. I find this a big reason for Seattle's and San Francisco's rise. A bunch of top picks on those squads that just needed competent coaching to get it done. The Vikings have some talent but that defense is garbage. Smith and Rhodes are promising but other than that it's pretty bad. I have no idea what happened to the o line but that should be correctable one would think.


Greenway, Robison, Griffin, and Floyd are all young and promising too. There are some holes for sure, but we have enough talent to play better than what we've seen lately. This whole team needs an attitude adjustment and some smart coaches to put them in better situations.
_________________
Confucius Say: To make a long story short, don't tell it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25279
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenway and Robison are both 30. They are much closer to the end than the beginning
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerfaninmn


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 7157
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
Packerfaninmn wrote:
The Chiefs also had a slew of untapped top 10 picks which is something the Vikes don't have. I find this a big reason for Seattle's and San Francisco's rise. A bunch of top picks on those squads that just needed competent coaching to get it done. The Vikings have some talent but that defense is garbage. Smith and Rhodes are promising but other than that it's pretty bad. I have no idea what happened to the o line but that should be correctable one would think.


Greenway, Robison, Griffin, and Floyd are all young and promising too. There are some holes for sure, but we have enough talent to play better than what we've seen lately. This whole team needs an attitude adjustment and some smart coaches to put them in better situations.

Griffin and Floyd haven't shown as much as they should considering Allen draws a great deal of attention. But, many times a dline prospect can take a few years before it really clicks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25279
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd has actually shown quite a bit when it comes to collapsing the pocket and tipping passes. Just hasn't shown the finish when it comes to sacking the QB.

He's definitely made the most of his limited opportunities
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1248
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Greenway and Robison are both 30. They are much closer to the end than the beginning


But some veterans are needed on a defense. Derrick Johnson and Tambi Hali are both about 30. And the chiefs added some key players through free agency. Sean Smith, Husain Abdullah. We can add some key free agents to help with those holes we have.

Our offense i think has more weapons as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25279
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Bodysuit Man commented on us having good young pieces and included those two. I was just pointing out that they weren't young. They are still good pieces, and I'm hoping this is just a down year for Greenway.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1248
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I didn't say anything to the contrary. Bodysuit Man commented on us having good young pieces and included those two. I was just pointing out that they weren't young. They are still good pieces, and I'm hoping this is just a down year for Greenway.


Yeah I get ya. I think there are a lot of similarities and also some differences. The biggest similarity is that we have Cassel Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boda


Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 828
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Despite going 2-14 the Chiefs still had a very good defense that was hung out to dry by an turnover prone offense. The defense includes two of the very best pass rushers in the game in Justin Houston and Tamba Hali to go with a great ILB in Derrick Johnson, an all pro safety in Eric Berry, and an emerging nose tackle in Dontari Poe.

The Vikings don't have a solid unit to build on like the Chiefs did.

I remember wanting us to bring in DJ while he was under performing for KC ... Good Times
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank Costello


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 9527
Location: in 2009, Vikings>Saints
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, and that's one of my biggest gripes. We're wasting away key talent. I'm all for a guy like Lovie and a new OC. Would be thrilled for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6115
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Despite going 2-14 the Chiefs still had a very good defense that was hung out to dry by an turnover prone offense. The defense includes two of the very best pass rushers in the game in Justin Houston and Tamba Hali to go with a great ILB in Derrick Johnson, an all pro safety in Eric Berry, and an emerging nose tackle in Dontari Poe.

The Vikings don't have a solid unit to build on like the Chiefs did.


I agree with this assessment. The Vikings are not even treading water replacing aging veterans on defence, and they're almost certain to use their #1 pick on a QB next year.

This team is two or three years removed from being a contender, and that's being optimistic.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group