Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Impressions Of The '12 and '13 Draft Classes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
I don't get how most of you constantly and still think Logan Ryan is trash. He will be a very good CB in this league. To me he was the best play-making CB in a very deep draft class. He has the edge and competitiveness that is missing in a lot of CBs. Plays the run great, is always willing to get in on the ball and has the real natural instincts of a DB. Even at how raw he is. Just keep doubting..... Twisted Evil

Who said that Laughing

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
I don't get how most of you constantly and still think Logan Ryan is trash. He will be a very good CB in this league. To me he was the best play-making CB in a very deep draft class. He has the edge and competitiveness that is missing in a lot of CBs. Plays the run great, is always willing to get in on the ball and has the real natural instincts of a DB. Even at how raw he is. Just keep doubting..... Twisted Evil

Who said that Laughing

Refer to page 1..

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler Jones and Dennard were good picks.

The rest are up in the air or really bad.

Tavon Wilson!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"@NEPatriotsDraft: Dont'a Hightower, Aaron Dobson, Chandler Jones all playing big parts in 2nd Half comeback. Draft choices in 2012 and 2013."

I'll add Logan Ryan's last two games too.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
Wilsonhurtsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Impressions Of The '12 and '13 Draft Classes Reply with quote

2012:

Chandler Jones
Dont'a Hightower
Tavon Wilson
Jake Bequette
Nate Ebner
Alfonzo Dennard
Jeremy Ebert

2013:

Jamie Collins
Aaron Dobson
Logan Ryan
Duron Harmon
Josh Boyce
Michael Buchanon
Steve Beauharnais

I think that our HITS in the draft are;

Chandler Jones
Alfonzo Dennard
Aaron Dobson

The two that I have reservations about are Hightower and Ryan. Ryan because it's too early to say, and Hightower is disappointing this year. As for the rest I'd say some are unknown, some already looking like bad picks. Tavon Wilson currently appears like the worst pick of all.
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Impressions Of The '12 and '13 Draft Classes Reply with quote

Wilsonhurtsu wrote:
2012:

Chandler Jones
Dont'a Hightower
Tavon Wilson
Jake Bequette
Nate Ebner
Alfonzo Dennard
Jeremy Ebert

2013:

Jamie Collins
Aaron Dobson
Logan Ryan
Duron Harmon
Josh Boyce
Michael Buchanon
Steve Beauharnais

I think that our HITS in the draft are;

Chandler Jones
Alfonzo Dennard
Aaron Dobson

The two that I have reservations about are Hightower and Ryan. Ryan because it's too early to say, and Hightower is disappointing this year. As for the rest I'd say some are unknown, some already looking like bad picks. Tavon Wilson currently appears like the worst pick of all.

Hightower is only disappointing this year because he is playing out of position. He's being asked to cover athletic TE's and RB's more than he has ever been asked before because of Mayo's absence. Hightower is much more of a thumping, run-stopping, blitzer, than an all-around LB that Mayo is. It is unfair to judge Hightower as disappointing for that reason and he should be considered a hit. Logan Ryan has been impressive as well, but I'll wait until the end of the season to judge him completely. He's made some fantastic plays and some tough ones, but for the most part he has looked solid
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot to like about Hightower, just a little confused at what we thought we were getting when we traded up to draft a 270 pound linebacker to play outside Brandon Spikes. Weird to think Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David were available a whole round later.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later I think the Pats are gonna transition back to more 3-4 looks with Hightower as the strongside edge guy and Chandler as the weakside elephant.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
There's a lot to like about Hightower, just a little confused at what we thought we were getting when we traded up to draft a 270 pound linebacker to play outside Brandon Spikes. Weird to think Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David were available a whole round later.

Same. I never really got it.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Well, I doubt David or Wagner were even on the Pats radar.

I think Hightower gets underrated around here because he has been burnt a few times in coverage. If he moves to MIKE next year to replace Spikes, I think people will understand how valuable he is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
That's just how Belichick is. I'm pretty sure that in Belichick's time in NE, he has never had an LB under 245 pounds start more than 5 games. Wagner is almost there at 241 but still would have been Belichick's lightest starting linebacker in 13.5 years. David doesn't even come close at 233. Even Belichick's athletic linebackers (Mayo, Guyton, Collins) have all been in the 245-250 range.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
That's just how Belichick is. I'm pretty sure that in Belichick's time in NE, he has never had an LB under 245 pounds start more than 5 games. Wagner is almost there at 241 but still would have been Belichick's lightest starting linebacker in 13.5 years. David doesn't even come close at 233. Even Belichick's athletic linebackers (Mayo, Guyton, Collins) have all been in the 245-250 range.

More importantly, you have to be scheme diverse - which David obviously isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

I think Hightower gets underrated around here because he has been burnt a few times in coverage. If he moves to MIKE next year to replace Spikes, I think people will understand how valuable he is.

There were a lot of rumblings that the Patriots liked Wagner - Belichick just loved the fact that Hightower could call the signals and could serve as cover at DE, 4-3 OLB, and 4-3 ILB, and Hightower's value was seen as superlative. Very few expected him to fall past Pittsburgh at 24 that year. Heck, after the pick happened, reports came out that teams were angry at Pittsburgh for letting Hightower slip to New England.

I think there's a fairly reasonable chance that Wagner was the next LB on New England's board after Hightower. Hightower seems to have been pretty highly touted across the league, though.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this long for teams to pick on the guy. He's much better suited to playing inside and could well thrive there like you say, but clearly he's not a rangy athlete at all. In a 3-4, he's a totally different animal.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Sooner or later I think the Pats are gonna transition back to more 3-4 looks with Hightower as the strongside edge guy and Chandler as the weakside elephant.

I believe Chandler is almost as pure a 4-3 DE as we've had in a while. It seems strange to me that at pick 21, BB decided we'd go 4-3 and at pick 25 decided we'd switch back to a 3-4.

I think that Chandler would be wasted in the 3-4 and clearly Hightower isn't suited for the 4-3.

Still angry that we didn't get Cameron Jordan that draft (and Justin Houston) - I should be a scout. Cool

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: