Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints waive LB Martez Wilson; Update: Claimed by Oakland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrrrrrrams wrote:
rams wanted griffin.

Oh... so that could be the reason. But if the Saints were adamant on keeping Griffin, why not just release Luke McCown instead? If you're that high on Griffin, they would probably view him as a reasonable backup to Brees...

Nacho Simulation Football League
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrrrrrrams wrote:
rams wanted griffin.

I think that's what's getting lost in all this. It was a move to protect a player they liked, wanted to keep as much as it was to release a guy who just couldn't carve out a clear niche on the roster despite great athleticism.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Rrrrrrrams wrote:
rams wanted griffin.

Oh... so that could be the reason. But if the Saints were adamant on keeping Griffin, why not just release Luke McCown instead? If you're that high on Griffin, they would probably view him as a reasonable backup to Brees...

Probably for the same reason that they kept McCown on the final 54 and passed Griffin to the practice squad: There's more to being a back-up QB than just having potential as a QB on the field. Major component? Yes. But the 2nd string QB is also the guy going over the quick-snap photos with the starter on the sidelines while the defense is on the field, for a good number of teams he's the guy with the clipboard and the headset who is in the ear of the QB acting like a second set of eyes while the QB's on the field.

You simply can't expect an undrafted rookie to be able to step into that role for a team with Championship aspirations as the Saints do, even with a starting QB as great as Drew Brees in place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand trying to keep players that you think have good potential, but i cant understand it when they have an elite qb, furthermore surely someone would have given them a conditional 7th or something for him?
sputney23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's to stiff.. Not a natural pass rusher.. He's just has good straight line speed.. I just see him as a special teamer from this point on

NS922 On the sig
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt he also have a degenerative neck problem?

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he was going to be in the Hall of Fame!!!

PM sig requests.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saints multiple coaching staffs have failed this young man. His first season he was a part time player at ILB and actually looked promising. Dude is a beast at attacking the A gap with blitzes.

Next season Spags comes to town (do I need to say more?) and move him to DE. Flop.

This season Ryan continues with the insanity that he an outside player and puts him at SOLB. Not strong enough at the point of the attack and gets mauled. Then he plays Jack as a part time player...but is NOT a natural pass rusher. I was one of the few who opposed Ryan on this one...and got absolutely thrashed by other Saints fans in the process.

Wilson's natural position is WILB in a 3-4 or WOLB in a 4-3. He doesn't have a great football IQ...which is in large part to being jerked around for this first 3 years in the league. He needs the ability to roam without taking on guards on a consistent basis. He is a monster at inside blitzing where he has elite quickness and has the ability to blow up centers on blitzing situations. He is also ok in zone coverage. If a team brings him in to fill that role...he will do well. The Saints screwed the pooch on this one.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad he isn't great in the 4-3. I think he is a talented player and he'll land a job somewhere.

I think the Saints moved too soon on him. Hopefully another team will pick him up and give him a solid position.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Rrrrrrrams wrote:
rams wanted griffin.

Probably for the same reason that they kept McCown on the final 54 and passed Griffin to the practice squad: There's more to being a back-up QB than just having potential as a QB on the field. Major component? Yes. But the 2nd string QB is also the guy going over the quick-snap photos with the starter on the sidelines while the defense is on the field, for a good number of teams he's the guy with the clipboard and the headset who is in the ear of the QB acting like a second set of eyes while the QB's on the field.

You simply can't expect an undrafted rookie to be able to step into that role for a team with Championship aspirations as the Saints do, even with a starting QB as great as Drew Brees in place.

Griffin played at Tulane under HC Curtis Johnson who was formerly the WR coach for Sean Payton. He is running the exact same offense at Tulane that Payton is running with the Saints. Griffin knows the playbook for the most part and has been playing in our offense (at Tulane) for a couple seasons already. Combined with some of the promise he has shown in pre-season, he has the potential to at worst become a long time backup for the Saints.

But what you said that I bolded is right. Despite knowing the offense better than McCown, he isn't up to NFL game speed and needs tome to prepare. Luke is already good to go in that area, hence being the number 2. I expect Griffin to replace McCown at the latest midway through next season.

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day. ATL first on the knock-off list. #RISEUPFORWHAT
unfsaint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
The LBC wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Rrrrrrrams wrote:
rams wanted griffin.

Griffin played at Tulane under HC Curtis Johnson who was formerly the WR coach for Sean Payton. He is running the exact same offense at Tulane that Payton is running with the Saints. Griffin knows the playbook for the most part and has been playing in our offense (at Tulane) for a couple seasons already. Combined with some of the promise he has shown in pre-season, he has the potential to at worst become a long time backup for the Saints.

But what you said that I bolded is right. Despite knowing the offense better than McCown, he isn't up to NFL game speed and needs tome to prepare. Luke is already good to go in that area, hence being the number 2. I expect Griffin to replace McCown at the latest midway through next season.

Game and practice are different. I have had the awesome privilege of witnessing McCown in real games. Dude is NOT a gamer...he is awful. I would be completely for giving Griffin the shot over McCown and cutting McCown for the extra roster spot.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claimed by the Raiders:

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Raiders-Claim-LB-Martez-Wilson-Via-Waivers/3c08da7b-9b02-4836-b4bd-8103755d5fb0

Quote:
The Raiders have claimed LB Martez Wilson via waivers from New Orleans and waived DT Christo Bilukidi. http://bit.ly/1cerHxZ

Nice pickup for them. Could help w/ pass rush efforts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Claimed by the Raiders:

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Raiders-Claim-LB-Martez-Wilson-Via-Waivers/3c08da7b-9b02-4836-b4bd-8103755d5fb0

Quote:
The Raiders have claimed LB Martez Wilson via waivers from New Orleans and waived DT Christo Bilukidi. http://bit.ly/1cerHxZ

Nice pickup for them. Could help w/ pass rush efforts.
Great move by the Raiders.

[]_[] Family
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Raiders got themselves a solid player to add to their defense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember wanting him in the draft. I wouldn't mind taking a look at him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: