Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Plan in work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Plan in work? Reply with quote

Saints just added QB Ryan Griffin to the 53 man roster, partially to block the Rams from signing him (as reported on Twitter, sorry can't link right now, can in a bit if someone else doesn't).

The FO must have some serious hopes for the guy to take up a roster spot for our 3rd QB. What does this say about the immediate future?

I am aware that this is the same FO that came into the Season with only 3 OLBs, but this is the same FO that has given us so many late round and UDFA gems in the past. Which way do you lean on Griffin?

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan in work? Reply with quote

I think this just cements what they have been saying all along... The staff is very high on this guy. I think we all kinda felt that in the preseason that Griffin clearly had the big upside but McNown was more ready to be the backup right now. I think the Saints are just trying to get through this year without losing him, giving him a whole year and another offseason to separate himself and grasp the backup job for good.

So yes... this is the kind of move that shows that the Saints feel that they very well may think they have found someone who has the goods to be a very good quarterback in the NFL one day because you don't toy with roster spots like this if you didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retweeted from Larry Holder...Martez Wilson was waived to add Griffin.

Shocked What just happened?

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
Retweeted from Larry Holder...Martez Wilson was waived to add Griffin.

Shocked What just happened?

Not surprising, Wilson has actually been as much as a bust at OLB as Ingram has at RB in my opinion. Also lets us know two things...

1. This franchise has a plan in place for Ryan Griffin.
2. We now know what the Saints #1 offseason need will be.

jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thrilled for Griffin. I actually think he has the tools to be a very good replacement to Brees in 2-3 years. And, now that he has a roster spot, ensures that he will develop under Brees... which I doubt any young QB would scoff at that chance.

Not sure if this move necessarily makes OLB the biggest/most pressing need. I see the Saints going BPA in the first round, regardless of 'need'. As I think back over the years, we haven't had a good track record of getting those 'starting talents' in the first round anyway. I look for a defensive player though. I doubt Vilma/Smith will be back next year...so we will need replacements. Don't forget about Rufus Johnson on the PS. I liked what he brought to this defense and can see him making the roster next year.

^NS922 on the sig^
SWATcha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it also be that the Saints would rather get something via trade rather than just let him be signed away for nothing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
Could it also be that the Saints would rather get something via trade rather than just let him be signed away for nothing?

If anything a team may attempt to trade for McCown...which I would be all for because he sucks. He may be good in practice and even in the preseason...but he is an awful game time QB.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Sean Payton Serious???

I'm disappointed in Mike Triplett for not asking the question he should have!

Per Payton...

Quote:
New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton said releasing third-year linebacker Martez Wilson was a tough decision. But he said, I think overall it was just trying to pay attention to production.

He says this with a straight face (and I agree that Wilson did not produce) but Mark Ingram is still on this team. I'm sorry but this has got to be said... Payton has now and in the past been know to come down hard on defenders that don't produce but when one of his offensive players is in the same boat they get the pass!

Another thing to remember... when Wilson was drafted Loomis and Payton preferred Washington LB Mason Foster but then Saints DC Greg Williams was dead set on Martez Wilson and made quite the scene in the war room to be sure he got his guy. Wilson may not have been given many opportunity's to succeed and the fact that he was Williams guy being the reason might be a reach but when you make a comment like this all the while your boy Ingram is rotting in the trainers room and taking up a valuabe roster spot and basically stealing game checks... it makes one think that maybe, just maybe WIlson was doomed from the start in Nawlins.

Likely not but facts are facts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: