Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Manager Candidates?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: General Manager Candidates? Reply with quote

We have a thread basically arguing whether or not Spielman is the man for the job, but who are some viable replacements? Who is the next Thomas Dimitroff or Les Snead?
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if Zygi would pursue Scott Pioli? Might even involve Parcels in some capacity; helping with a GM or HC search? Spielman might survive the purge but at this point, why keep anybody really.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing Spielman would be one of the worst things this organization could do, He's built up a nice amount of talent and the coaches are simply failing to utilize and get something out of it, Thats not on Spielman thats on Frazier and the coaching staff.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

Bring Melvin Gordon to Minnesota.
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is more than Spielman. He has built a nice team that just isn't being properly utilized. Obviously, he has ignored G and LB, and missed on Ponder. Which is huge, don't get me wrong. But he's laid the foundation with, and this is just out of the past two years: Kalil, Rhodes, Smith, Patterson, Walsh, Wright, Floyd. All of these picks were had without giving up future picks if they were traded up for. Thats pretty solid. That is definite talent not being used correctly.

In my opinion, we replace the coaches. If that still doesn't work, then Spielman would almost have to get the can.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Firing Spielman would be one of the worst things this organization could do, He's built up a nice amount of talent and the coaches are simply failing to utilize and get something out of it, Thats not on Spielman thats on Frazier and the coaching staff.

Agreed. I hear commnents about Spielman needing to go, but they usually have little backing them up. His record the last two years has been solid.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
Wonder if Zygi would pursue Scott Pioli?

I wouldn't wish Pioli upon the Packers, let alone the Vikings. He's terribibble. The reality is that there is no one else out there right now that I believe would do any better than Spielman.

However, the only names out there that are even the least bit interesting to me are:

Tag Ribary - currently Director of Team Operations (Seattle)
Jason Licht - Director of Player Personnel (Arizona)
Brian Gutekunst - Director of College Scouting (Green Bay) and yes, the son of former Gophers' head coach John Gutekunst

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Boda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:

Agreed & couldn't have said it any better. I was astonished to see somebody created a Fire Spielman Website.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boda wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:

Agreed & couldn't have said it any better. I was astonished to see somebody created a Fire Spielman Website.

Whether or not people think you're a good GM seems to be entirely dependent on whether you got lucky with a QB in the draft. That's basically it. You can nail one pick at complete random - a good QB, that's all it takes - and you're a genius because a good QB covers up so many other roster holes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he needs to be given much more time, considering just last year the team was finally starting to go into full on rebuilding mode. I would say he is off to a pretty good start, as nobody can be perfect with draft picks.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:

This.

The biggest issue with this team personnel-wise are at QB, G, LB, and the secondary.

Speilman has addressed each with:

QB - Ponder, Cassell, and Freeman -

Not a lot to be happy with here, but Spielman's doing the best he can at this point trying to fix a position that's nearly impossible to fix outside of a top draft pick. Missing on Ponder really, really hurt.

G - Brought in Geoff Shwartz last year and has tried to address the position with some draft picks (albeit late ones). Unfortunately, the coaching staff stubbornly stuck with Johnson and Fusco, which resulted in Shwartz leaving in free agency.

LB - Bishop, Mauti, Cole, and Hodges are (or were) all firmly stuck to the bench while the coaches continue to play Marvin Mitchell in the base D.

Secondary - Cook, Robinson, Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Robert Blanton are all recent draft picks. All are talented, and with the exception of Smith, all are being mismanaged by the coaching staff.

Edit:

Forgot about NT.

NT - The best NT option on the team, Fred Evans, is coming off the bench.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:

This.

The biggest issue with this team personnel-wise are at QB, G, LB, and the secondary.

Not a lot to be happy with here, but Spielman's doing the best he can at this point trying to fix a position that's nearly impossible to fix outside of a top draft pick. Missing on Ponder really, really hurt.

G - Brought in Geoff Shwartz last year and has tried to address the position with some draft picks (albeit late ones). Unfortunately, the coaching staff stubbornly stuck with Johnson and Fusco, which resulted in Shwartz leaving in free agency.

LB - Bishop, Mauti, Cole, and Hodges are (or were) all firmly stuck to the bench while the coaches continue to play Marvin Mitchell in the base D.

Secondary - Cook, Robinson, Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Robert Blanton are all recent draft picks. All are talented, and with the exception of Smith, all are being mismanaged by the coaching staff.

Edit:

Forgot about NT.

Very very good point. Agree on all counts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:

Agree 100% with this. I've literally said this 10 times on FF and people continue to ignore it or they will shoot it down and not back up their argument. Spielman is a very very good GM, especially since he's had FULL control.

Last year and this year he has worked his magic and brought us some very good players. He's not drafting busts which is even more important and he's always looking to stockpile in the first round. 5 first round picks in two years is unheard of and they are all very talented players.

I dont want a GM that sits there and takes what he can get. Spielman is always looking to make moves and has made very smart ones. He is no doubt the right guy for this job. End of story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:

This.

Edit:

Forgot about NT.

QB=Think he failed there. Always said Ponder was a huge mistake and that's what it was. Hopefully freeman can do something for his sake but who knows.

G= No guards have been good. If the coaching staff isn't playing them over the guards who are starting then they must be bad, or the coaching staff is just bad. My opinion is the guard position and staff are bad but who knows. Hard to tell at this point.

LB=Not a big fan of most of our lb's

Secondary= cook is inconsistent and most have been bad with the exception of smith. The coaching staff is putting them in bad positions but they have failed even when they have had their chance.

NT-Fred evans not a fan of it.

I would give speilman another chance next season but I do think he is inconsistent. People just focus on his strengths rather than his weaknesses. I wouldn't care if he left or stayed as blowing it all up might be the best thing.
this providence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for anyone to really know who's truly available and how potential candidates in current positions with franchises project moving forward. That's the issue with the the premise.

With that said, a change a GM is desperately needed. I can empathize with some saying Spielman needs more time; don't buy it given he's had plenty of time to figure it out in this but I'll listen. However, I'm in complete disbelief that there are some out there that believe Spielman is moving this team forward and view him as an asset to this franchise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
It's hard for anyone to really know who's truly available and how potential candidates in current positions with franchises project moving forward. That's the issue with the the premise.

With that said, a change a GM is desperately needed. I can empathize with some saying Spielman needs more time; don't buy it given he's had plenty of time to figure it out in this but I'll listen. However, I'm in complete disbelief that there are some out there that believe Spielman is moving this team forward and view him as an asset to this franchise.

wowwwww Rolling Eyes (ktarinze you can refer to this post as well)

How is he not an asset to this franchise? Do you not realize that he has only been our GM for 2 years now??? And has brought in 5 first round picks and a few sleepers??? Along with Greg Jennings. I would say thats a pretty good resume.

Do you expect him to assess EVERY need year in and year out when he's attempting to rebuild a team??

Since he's had FULL control (so the last 2 years), he's brought in very good players at LT, WR, S, CB, DT, FB, K. From what I remember, those have all been needs over the last 2 years.

Our glaring needs this coming offseason (outside of our horrid coaching that you fail to mention) are LG, QB, LB, another CB, and NT. I would be willing to bet, after looking at his track record, these needs will be addressed this offseason. He has also done the best he can to fix these positions with limited cap room. Its not like he's sitting there and not doing anything about it.

The players he has brought in the last 2 years are the future of this team. You're really going to blame this season on him??? Come on man. Im pretty sure Rick Spielman doesnt hire the coaching staff. Just ridiculous.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: