Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DE Andre Carter signed with the Patriots today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbperk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: DE Andre Carter signed with the Patriots today Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/392664655191355392

I hope this isn't an indication that something could be wrong with Ninc or Jones
Catches: 18
Receiving Yards: 114
TD's: 1

Last edited by tbperk on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: REPORT: DE A Carter intends to sign with the Patriots to Reply with quote

tbperk wrote:
https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/392664655191355392

I hope this isn't an indication that something could be wrong with Nick or Jones

It suggests to me that Bequette has worn out his welcome or the team wants to use Chandler Jones inside more often.

There have been rumors regarding Carter going back to August so I'm not sure it's a result of anything that happened this week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He officially signed

Sigs-Taking Requests
mattyl13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be any indication that Nink is going to be in coverage in passing situations?
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the dude but does he have anything left?

What's wrong w Michael Buchanan?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyl13 wrote:
Could this be any indication that Nink is going to be in coverage in passing situations?

That could definitely be a factor. Ninkovich had been invisible the past few games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyl13 wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. They wouldn't sign Carter to play 5 snaps a game - knowing how the Pats usually are they must feel they need him on game day.

Buchanan can't play vs. the run (and hasn't proven much as a pass rusher either), and Collins isn't ready for heavy action. I'd guess they want to be able to play Ninkovich at SAM and put Carter on the line.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exciting to see a vet signed, though I was hoping for a bigger DT type and not another 4-3 DE rusher type. Though he did generate good pressure during his last stint. Mike Loyko suggested possibly more 3-4 looks with this front 7:

Carter-Jones-Jones
Nink-Spikes-Hightower-Collins

I know Murts will say Carter isn't the stereotypical 3-4 end, which he isn't, but maybe running this as a sub on occasion might help. It could also suggest that we see Nink play more of a 4-3 OLB role, with more coverage assignments. We could see some:

Carter-Kelly/Vellano-Jones-Jones
Nink-Hightower/Spikes-Collins

That 4 man front looks like a good start to generate more pressure. I'd like to see the numbers, but I would imagine they got Carter on the cheap. I like the signing a lot.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As thin as they are in the interior line we really don't have the LB's for a 3-4 alignment. Collins isn't going to play a big role for a long time and honestly, not much will change. Kelly would (when hes healty) play DE and so would Chandler. Nink would be a LB, pass rushing a lot probably. So what really changes? Nink covers a little more and rushes standing up? Not a big difference. Kelly plays in a place he hasn't really ever played in.

I really don't see reason to make the front 7 scheme change

Sigs-Taking Requests
mattyl13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
As thin as they are in the interior line we really don't have the LB's for a 3-4 alignment. Collins isn't going to play a big role for a long time and honestly, not much will change. Kelly would (when hes healty) play DE and so would Chandler. Nink would be a LB, pass rushing a lot probably. So what really changes? Nink covers a little more and rushes standing up? Not a big difference. Kelly plays in a place he hasn't really ever played in.

I also do not envision more 3 man fronts. They dont have the beef for that. You essentially need 3 guys in the 300+ range on every down. The pats only have like 3 of those guys total. Our personnel is geared to play 4-3, simple as that. Obviously you play to the strengths of your players and going to a 3-4 is not playing to the strengths of the majority of our front 7 guys.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least, I think it'll be good to have a voice like his in the ears of our younger front seven.

ELRammy
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:

I think Nink will see time as a 4-3 OLB. He is a better cover guy and complete player there than hightower and everyone else.

Bequette sucks and Carter is experienced and might pair up well with Buchanan to fill in.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a sub package of Buchanan-Jones-Jones-Carter up front with Ninkovich and Hightower/Spikes at LB.

A 3-4 base doesn't make sense other than a few select situations. Maybe in sub a 3-3-5 could work

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he can rekindle some of the magic....but I doubt it.
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I think Nink will see time as a 4-3 OLB. He is a better cover guy and complete player there than hightower and everyone else.

You're right, moving Nink to 4-3 OLB is really the only thing that makes sense. Why sign Carter to play a few snaps a game? Maybe Carter takes DE full time and Nink goes to OLB for more coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: