Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Worm’s Updated Mock: Atlanta SWEEP!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Worm’s Updated Mock: Atlanta SWEEP!!! Reply with quote

Round 1
Trent Murphy DE/OLB Stanford

Murphy is one bad Cowboy! Dude is an animal on the football field and his versatility will have Rob Ryan salivating.

Round 2
Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech

Fuller has battled through two injury plagued seasons at VT but he’s a big physical press corner who was the best player on the field on opening day against Alabama.

Round 3
Justin Britt OT Missouri

News flash… I’m predicting Zach Streif to be resigned along with Brian De La Puente while Charles Brown is allowed to walk. I firmly believe that Terron Armstead will be our starting left tackle in 2014 but the Saints will look for some insurance in the draft. Britt is a quality left tackle prospect that would give Armstead some serious competition in training camp and could potentially beat him out for the job.

Round 4
Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor

Roman Harper’s time is finished in New Orleans as Jenkins and Vaccaro will lead the way but Harpers physical in the box style will need to be replaced and Dixon offers that ability with ball skills to boot.

Round 5
Marcus Williams CB North Dakota State

Just a hunch here but I think the Saints come away from this draft with two corners. The Saints obviously need depth at the position and this is a strong corner back class. Williams is a sleeper small school prospect whom I believe to have the most natural man coverage ability in the entire class and would fit Rob Ryan’s defense like a glove.

Round 6
Aaron Murray QB Georgia

There is a difference between grooming a young quarterback to be your backup and grooming one to be your eventual starter. The latter usually takes a steeper investment as far as draft picks are concerned but sometimes good teams get lucky. Ryan Griffin may turn out to be a solid backup in time and I understand the team is high on him but Murray has the potential to be much more in New Orleans. With his recent ACL injury, Murray (whom I had as a 3rd round prospect before the injury) could be stashed on IR for the season as the Saints go into 2014 with Griffin as the primary backup. Heading into 2015 the two can duel it out in camp and pre-season to determine if both are career backups or if one of them is something much more.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:54 am; edited 12 times in total
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid! However, I don't see WR before O-line needs are met. I'm somewhat skeptical about Armstead as LT because of his average to sub-par feet. Do you think he can be good to above average LT for this franchise??

Like the SS pick... if Malcolm Jenkins wants more money I say let him walk or try to trade for decent OL in offseason. We have plenty good safety-esque players now, just need hard nosed SS to compliment the D-fence.

The OC pick is good one too. I really liked Lelito during preseason. And glad that Marcel Jones (aka Afro-Man) is on the PS. I feel we do need to get a more talented center than DLP.

^NS922 on the sig^
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Solid! However, I don't see WR before O-line needs are met. I'm somewhat skeptical about Armstead as LT because of his average to sub-par feet. Do you think he can be good to above average LT for this franchise??

I wanted to place a OT in the top round but I'm figuring the Saints will be picking somewhere between picks 28-32 this year and the premier players at the position I fully expect to be gone and none of them are worth moving up for. I also feel the offensive tackle position in the NFL should be groomed regardless... Look how the top 3 tackles from last year are struggling this year and I don't find any of the tackles in this draft are better than any of those three guys from last season. I'm a firm believer that you bypass need in the top round and simply take the best player on the board and I feel Matthews will slip there and 3 years from now he'll be a guy everyone is kicking themselves for passing on. I honeslty think he will eventually be the best pro of his class.

As far as Armstead, Yes I do believe he can be our left tackle... As long as Brees is the quarterback. Yes his feet are in question but so was Bushrods. I see Armstead as a more athletic Bushrod with a higher celing.

Quote:
Like the SS pick... if Malcolm Jenkins wants more money I say let him walk or try to trade for decent OL in offseason. We have plenty good safety-esque players now, just need hard nosed SS to compliment the D-fence.

I think Jenkins will get paid by the Saints but Harper amoung other veterans will get the boot because of it (as well because the Graham contract). Washington is a sleeper who is overlooked because of where he plays.

Quote:
The OC pick is good one too. I really liked Lelito during preseason. And glad that Marcel Jones (aka Afro-Man) is on the PS. I feel we do need to get a more talented center than DLP

Some feel we fine with DLP at center... I'm not one of those people. I see a very marginal player in DLP who is a solid backup but has no business starting in the NFL. Harrison is an athlete at the position with versatility to play either right or left guard as well.

domepatrol91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we pick a WR in the 1st, I'll probably just not follow the 2014 season. Confused

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
If we pick a WR in the 1st, I'll probably just not follow the 2014 season. Confused

I may vomit. Considering the talent we tend to find in later rounds at WR and RB, I don't think we should ever spend more than a 4th on a WR or RB unless they project to be a Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:

I may vomit. Considering the talent we tend to find in later rounds at WR and RB, I don't think we should ever spend more than a 4th on a WR or RB unless they project to be a Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson.

I understand what y'all are saying about the selection of a WR in the top round, honestly I do and I expected that type of reaction but many factors went into that pick.

1st - I do not select a first round pick based solely on need, if I did it clearly wouldnt have been a WR.

2nd - Having said that, I do believe WR is actually a bigger need than what most think. We are getting almost next to no production from the receiver position right now. Colsten is a shell of his former self and will only get worse with time. Moore has battled injuries throughout his career and
Meachem is on a one year stop gap deal. All players are north of 30 and should be be fazed out within a year or two. I have no fAith Joe Morgan will ever go through a NFL season healthy and the teams second leading receiver (Sproles) is also 32 years old and being over worked as it is. Toon and Stills are complimentary prices but this team needs a true #1 receiver on the outside to help take pressure off Graham not just now but looking into the future. Remember, when you draft in the 1st smart franchises do so with a foward thinking concept.

3rd - I honestly believe that receiver is the strength of this draft. I find it very overrated at the offensive tackle and quarterback position. It's a poor corner class in my opinion. Matthews to me is a special player who I feel should be a top 15 pick but as I did my mock I actually had him slip a bit and when the saints were on the board and compared to what was available and the grades I had on other players I simply couldn't pass on him.

4th - When selecting for the Saints I also try to take into account not only the type of player the prospect is but also his character which Loomis and Payton have shown over and over again really matters to them and Matthews fit that mold to a tee... He's known as a extremly hard worker with an excellent work ethic who absoulely loves the game of football. He's highly intelligent and versitale. He is a technician on the football field who runs terrific routes and possesses the best pure hands inthe draft. He possesses the body and length you look for in a #1 reciever and possesses the bloodlines to boot that the Saints seem to like as Matthews is the nephew of Jerry Rice.

I understand many would disagree but i had to go with who I felt was the best pick regardless of position and who was clearly the best fit into what the Saints like and want and in my opinion it was Matthews.

unfsaint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a #1 WR. What the Pats did against Graham scares me. Do you think that they would have put Talib on Graham if the Saints had a real #1?

If Gordon is available for a 3rd...I bite.
Magnifico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking the mock overall but caught in several directions about first round need.

We may still need another OLB opposite Galette. Although doesn't seem as pressing a need as before.

CB is no sure thing either. Lewis has played well. However Greer is getting older every season and we've got no idea how Robinson does coming back from his injury. Problem is CB's take time to play well in the NFL typically.

Whatsmore offensive tackle is an issue. However if we're picking late 20's is there really going to be anyone worth it based on current projections?

WR is a concern, but I think we have some good options in Stills/Toon; a #1 one would be nice but surely someone we can groom can be picked up in Round 2?
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
We need a #1 WR. What the Pats did against Graham scares me. Do you think that they would have put Talib on Graham if the Saints had a real #1?

If Gordon is available for a 3rd...I bite.

I love Gordon as a player but it's a huge risk... His character concerns is still a big problem and now he's one more strike away form a major suspension by the NFL.

Yes, I agree completely that this team needs a true #1 wide receiver on the edge to take the focus off Graham. Alot of Saints fans simply do not want to see Colston for what he is anymore... He will go down as one of my Fav saints of all time but he's nothing more than a 3rd option these days and his time in New Orleans is quickly coming to an end. I seriously doubt he's on the roster beyond the 2014 season. Moore is in the same boat, the cap will also play a large role in these guys getting phased out as Brees cap number continues to escalate while we add long term deals for Graham and Jenkins this season and ones for guys like Cam Jordan, junior Galette & Akiem Hicks in the future.

kanedafx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only offensive position we should worry about fixing is the OL.

Every other draft should be defensive imho.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Worm's updated mock: Post Buffalo beatdown! Reply with quote

UPDATED

navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Worm's updated mock: Post Buffalo beatdown! Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
UPDATED

I have to admit...this mock is turning me on a little.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob could have some serious fun with Vaccaro and Joyner's versatility.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real like your 2nd and 3rd round pick. Can't really say anything about the others. Only pick I disagree with is your first rounder. You had this amazing wirte up about our defense and the whole 46 scheme and if I'm not mistaking, Sam would play the WLB position right? But we already have Galette here and Butler will be fully healthy next year as well. IMO we should look for a big physical corner here!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I don't know who any of those guys are. I want Van Noy in the 1st though. Really bad.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: