Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

S Brandon Meriweather banned for 2 games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15840
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting this to happen. Reed got his one game suspension overturned, as did Goldson. Makes sense for Meriweather to get one game knocked off his too. It's clear that the person who makes decisions on appeals doesn't see these hits nearly as bad as the NFL does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rob_shadows


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3103
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash22 wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
packerjmf wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
Source: #Redskins S Brandon Meriweather’s two-game suspension has been reduced to one game without pay by hearing officer Ted Cottrell


Sigh.

Laughing You gotta be kidding me. Do they release any kind of reasoning for these decisions?


Maybe it will help people see the double standards of the NFL more clearly....guys like Suh get questionable fines that an NFL associate even admits was done simply to send a message while guys like Meriweather are out there with clear intent to hurt people and get a slap on the wrist...

The NFL is becoming more of a joke every day when it comes to player punishment. Wonder what the excuse from them will be when he eventually breaks someones neck because they failed to take the proper action.


A one game suspension is hardly a slap on the wrist. Has Suh ever been suspended? I don't see the double standard.


When your clearly trying to injure players, and the area your trying to injure can risk paralysis or even death...yes, it's a slap on the wrist. It's only a matter of time until someone suffers a very serious neck injury because of his headhunting.

And yes Suh was suspended for two games after the stomping incident, which was a case of a player inexcusably losing his temper and taking a stupid action but didn't risk the opponents well being for the rest of his life as Meriweather does every single time he goes after a player above the shoulders yet Suh received no such leniency in reducing the suspension meanwhile the player out there trying to end guys careers gets a break. Rolling Eyes

For the record I'm not saying I disagree with them denying the Suh appeal on his suspension for the stomping incident, he deserved what he got. All I'm saying is losing your temper after a play is over is nowhere near the level of trying to end your opponents career and it's b/s that the NFL was lenient on Meriweather.
_________________


2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EnglishLion20


Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 11658
Location: England
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathetic, 2 games should have stood to hammer the point home.

Meriweather just dosent get it.
_________________


Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7292
Location: Mid season surge, PA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15840
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.
Different people set the original suspension and then decide what happens after the appeal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slateman


Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Posts: 6913
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
packerjmf wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
Source: #Redskins S Brandon Meriweather’s two-game suspension has been reduced to one game without pay by hearing officer Ted Cottrell


Sigh.

Laughing You gotta be kidding me. Do they release any kind of reasoning for these decisions?


Maybe it will help people see the double standards of the NFL more clearly....guys like Suh get questionable fines that an NFL associate even admits was done simply to send a message while guys like Meriweather are out there with clear intent to hurt people and get a slap on the wrist...

The NFL is becoming more of a joke every day when it comes to player punishment. Wonder what the excuse from them will be when he eventually breaks someones neck because they failed to take the proper action.


Meriweather has been fined, hence the suspension in the first place. Suh has served a whopping two games despite more dangerous, and intentional, plays.

Seems like a pretty fair judgement by the NFL. They heard his appeal took in to account the fact that the Bennett hit wasn't that bad, and reduced it to one game. Message still sent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slateman


Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Posts: 6913
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 25978
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I was expecting this to happen. Reed got his one game suspension overturned, as did Goldson. Makes sense for Meriweather to get one game knocked off his too. It's clear that the person who makes decisions on appeals doesn't see these hits nearly as bad as the NFL does.


Yep, it's clear that Meriweather's defense was that the other guys got their suspensions tuned down, but Ed's suspension wasn't 2 games, and I can't remember what Goldson's was, but this is clearly BS and Meriweather deserves to be knocked out of the NFL by an offensive player.
_________________


Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rob_shadows


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3103
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


First of all it was his arm not his head, second worse case scenario he breaks his arm...worse case scenario for Meriweather's headhunting he ends someones career.

Yes, it happens to other guys...other guys get caught going to the head but Meriweather is the only one who it's extremely obvious does it intentionally trying to injure someone and as I said earlier because of the extreme damage that can be done when he does it, it deserves a much higher punishment than 1 game.
_________________


2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LikesHAM


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 1850
Location: St Louis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


When did Suh ever stomp on a guys head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rob_shadows


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3103
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


When did Suh ever stomp on a guys head?


He didn't, he was mixing up the Suh incident with the Haynesworth incident.
_________________


2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9187
Location: MD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


How many times does it need to be said that different parties handle the suspensions/appeals before people get it? Further, that goodell is not all of those parties? I have no problem with people criticizing the league or goodell, but I urge you to at least sound like you know what you're talking about. It's far more effective that way.

Regarding suh, perhaps the stomping isn't as dangerous as headhunting, all things considered, but merriweathers actions at least happen in the context of play, while suhs have no such relation to football and were done clearly with no intention other than to harm. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Slateman


Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Posts: 6913
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


When did Suh ever stomp on a guys head?


He didn't, he was mixing up the Suh incident with the Haynesworth incident.


I meant arm, but all this talk of headhunting.

lol, people saying ban him. Seriously, the NFL hasn't done nearly enough to protect the players, but if it goes any further, they accept liability and will be paying billions until the game finally just stops because there's no money in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rob_shadows


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 3103
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


When did Suh ever stomp on a guys head?


He didn't, he was mixing up the Suh incident with the Haynesworth incident.


I meant arm, but all this talk of headhunting.

lol, people saying ban him. Seriously, the NFL hasn't done nearly enough to protect the players, but if it goes any further, they accept liability and will be paying billions until the game finally just stops because there's no money in it.


The former players winning that lawsuit proved the NFL already has liability in the eyes of U.S courts. If anything, taking measures to reduce injuries with long term effects would save money in the long run.
_________________


2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9187
Location: MD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
Slateman wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Slateman wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
What's the point of announcing these suspensions only to reduce them days later? A suspension is absurdly reduced for no good reason.

Keep preaching about safety Goodell while your office gives these repeat head hunters a little slap on the wrist.


Goodell doesn't care about player safety. If he did, there would be mandates on equipment, specifically helmets. He cares about the NFL getting sued and having to settle for a billion dollars.

Suh stomped on a guy's head three times and got two games. I don't know how you think one game for a guy who was participating in a football play. Especially when this happens to other players as well.


When did Suh ever stomp on a guys head?


He didn't, he was mixing up the Suh incident with the Haynesworth incident.


I meant arm, but all this talk of headhunting.

lol, people saying ban him. Seriously, the NFL hasn't done nearly enough to protect the players, but if it goes any further, they accept liability and will be paying billions until the game finally just stops because there's no money in it.


The former players winning that lawsuit proved the NFL already has liability in the eyes of U.S courts. If anything, taking measures to reduce injuries with long term effects would save money in the long run.


If I'm not mistaken, nobody won/lost, it was settled...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group