Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fracdaddy14's 2014 Mock Offseason 2.0 (RIP 2013)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Fracdaddy14's 2014 Mock Offseason 2.0 (RIP 2013) Reply with quote

The 53-Man Roster was makes it in under the estimated $124m salary cap. Tom Coughlin “retires” after the season and neither coordinator is kept. Hakeem Nicks is franchised tagged and traded for a 2nd Round pick to a team needing a #1 WR and willing to give him $11 million/year (Oakland or Carolina might bite).

COACHING STAFF:

Head Coach- David Shaw
-If there is one NFL coach firmly on team’s radars, it’s Shaw. He may have his choice of teams, but the Giants combination of having a QB with multiple Super Bowls and with organizational stability will be alluring. He bounced around the NFL as a positional coach before teaming with Harbaugh at San Diego and Stanford, so he has enough of a NFL resume.

Offensive Coordinator- Hue Jackson
-Jackson has been around coaching staffs with Shaw and has head coaching experience for Shaw to lean on.

Defensive Coordinator- Darren Perry
-Perry has been a hot name around college circles for a while, but doesn’t have a big resume. He’s been the DB coach with the Packers. With experience in the 3-4 both playing and coaching, he would bring us tools to help the transition and we would give him more experience to use for future jobs.

GIANTS UNDER ROSTER AND RETURNING IN 2014:
- Cap Numbers via Spotrac

QB- Eli Manning- $20,400,000
QB- Ryan Nassib- $608,400
RB- David Wilson- $1,823,046
FB- Henry Hynoski (RFA Contract- Original Tender)
WR- Victor Cruz- $7,424,000
WR- Rueben Randle- $897,799
TE- Adrien Robinson- $66,143
TE- Larry Donnell- $495,000
OL- Chris Snee (Restructured)
OL- Justin Pugh- $1,896,795
OL- William Beatty- $7,400,000
OL- Eric Herman (PS Contract)
OL- Brandon Mosley- $645,146
DL- Linval Joseph (Re-signed- 5 years, $21.25 million)
DL- Cullen Jenkins- $3,291,666
DL- Jason Pierre-Paul- $3,561,000
DL- Jonathan Hankins- $916,065
DL- Mike Patterson (Re-signed)
DL- Markus Kuhn- $581,474
LB- Jon Beason (Re-signed)
LB- Spencer Paysinger (RFA Contract- Original Tender)
LB- Mathias Kiwanuka (Restructured)
LB- DaMontre Moore- $658,813
LB- Jacquain Williams- $664,670
DB- Antrel Rolle (Restructured)
DB- Stevie Brown (Re-signed)
DB- Will Hill- $570,000
DB- Cooper Taylor- $541,813
DB- Prince Amukamara- $2,603,013
DB- Aaron Ross (Re-signed)
DB- Jayron Hosley- $706,250
P- Steve Weatherford- $2,925,000
LS- Zak DeOssie- $1,150,00

FREE AGENTS:

RB- Toby Gerhart (3 years, $6 million)
- With Shaw as OC, Gerhart was a legit Heisman candidate. He could return to same coach and bring his toughness to the power-running game.

WR- Kyle Williams (1 year, $1.25 million)
- 2 year ago, he was the villain for the 49ers against the Giants in the NFC Championship game. Williams is a good KR/PR despite that play and is a decent WR too.

TE- Garrett Graham (1 year, $1.25 million)
- Sitting behind Owen Daniels, Graham will look for a one-year “prove-it” contract and to 2015 for a chance at a bigger contract.

OL- Alex Mack (5 years, $32.5 million)
- C is one of the most important positions on the OL and one of the hardest to develop. Mack has already proven to be a pro-bowl caliber C and should hit the open market. Developing our OL is an obvious priority and should start inside.

OL- Anthony Collins (1 year, $2.5 million)
- If there is a top-tier of backup OTs, Collins would be near the top. He has played well in multiple opportunities filling in for Cincinnati. With both OTs entrenched there, Collins could test the market to a team that has an opportunity to start.

LB- Arthur Moats (1 year, $1.25 million)
- Bills have bounced back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4 defenses over the last few years. Moats is ideally a backup/ST, but could get an opportunity to start at ILB in the Giants new look 3-4.

LB- Parys Haralson (2 years, $2.8 million)
- Another veteran of the 3-4. He is young and experienced enough to start and will understand the schemes.

DB- Alterraun Verner (3 years, $18 million)
- While not considered by many in the upper-tier of CBs, Verner is having an outstanding season. He is picking up 4 INTs and 8 Pass Deflections with a 36.4 Comp % against so far.

K- Dan Carpenter (1 year, $1 million)
- The typical veteran pickup at kicker. Josh Brown won’t be back.

MOCK DRAFT:
-(Giants trade they’re 1st Round Pick- #3ish, to the Cleveland Browns for their 1st Round Picks, #12ish and #27ish)

#1- Mike Evans- WR- Texas A&M- 6’5- 225
- Was a superstar playmaker for the Aggies and could leave with Manziel. Is massive, has enough speed, and should develop a quick connection with Eli.

#1- Kyle Van Noy- LB- BYU- 6’3- 235
- An instinctive OLB who make plays and a long-term star on the strong-side.

#2- James Hurst- OT- North Carolina- 6’6- 305
- Hurst has started since being a true freshman. He has a good combination of mental and physical aspects and technique to be a top-tier OT and immediate starter.

#2- Bishop Sankey- RB- Washington- 5’10- 203
- After Sankey shredded Stanford this year, Shaw knows all about him. He is a bowling ball RB who will get on the field immediately due to pass-catching and pass-blocking versatility.

#3- Yawin Smallwood- LB- UCONN- 6’2- 244
- A tackling machine and playmaker at UCONN. He is versatile and should compete to start immediately at ILB.

#4- Jaylen Watkins- CB- Florida- 6’0- 188
- Florida could have 3 CBs in this year’s draft. Watkins is a backup to the two top prospects, but is good in his own right. He is reliable with good size and skills.

#4- Arthur Lynch- TE- Georgia- 6’5- 254
- Lynch looks like a more-skilled version of the type of TE that Eli has turned into a solid players. With Shaw bringing in multiple TE packages, a TE will be more of a need.

#6- Spencer Long- OG- Wisconsin- 6’4- 315
- Long could go as high as Day 2, but injured his knee and is out for the year. His injury could give teams pause and move similar players above him.

#6- Hakeem Smith- DB- Louisville- 6’1- 180
- A solid run-defender with good instincts. Smith gives depth now and could be a future starter if Cooper doesn’t develop as expected.

#7- Zack Kerr- NT- Delaware- 6’1- 322
- A prototypical space-eater NT that will need start adding to complete the move to 3-4.

#7- T.J. Jones- WR- Notre Dame- 6’0- 195
- Another player Shaw has seen a lot of. Jones played well despite dealing with one QB’s growing pains and another’s horribly inaccurate passes. He emerged as a reliable target and leader.

DEPTH CHART:

QB- Manning/ Nassib
RB- Wilson/ Gerhart/ Sankey
FB- Hynoski
WR- Cruz/ Williams/ Jones
WR- Randle/ Evans
TE- Graham/ Lynch/ Robinson/ Donnell
C- Mack/ Herman
RG- Snee/ Long
LG- Pugh/ Mosley
RT- Hurst/ Collins
LT- Beatty/ Collins

NT- Joseph/ Hankins/ Kerr
RE- Jenkins/ Patteron/ Hankins
LE- JPP/ Hankins/ Kuhn
ILB- Beason/ Smallwood
ILB- Paysinger/ Moats/ JWill
OLB- Van Noy/ Haralson/ JWill
OLB- Kiwi/ Moore
SS- Rolle/ Taylor/ Smith
FS- Brown/ Hill
CB- Amukamara/ Ross
CB- Verraun/ Hosley/ Watkins

K- Carpenter
P- Weatherford
KR- Williams/ Wilson
PR- Williams/ Randle
LS- DeOssie

REASONINGS:

- Looking at the influx of top front 7 prospects on the edges, it is obvious many fit a 3-4 mold. Other than Clowney, there isn’t an obvious top 4-3 DE. Players like Anthony Barr, Van Noy, Vic Beasley, etc fit best in a 3-4 pass-rushing role. 4-3 DEs are getting expensive because the really great ones are getting rare.

- Shaw has been talked enough around here and is an obvious candidate. Sometimes Head Coachs are at one place so long their talk becomes repetitive. TC has done very well by the Giants, but it’s time for a change.

- Nicks is a hard decision. With a major cap rise projected in 2015, he could sign for a projected $11 million/year with the Giants and have his hit be low this year. Then again, he would still be expensive, always has nagging injuries, and still has great value. Considering Harvin netted a 1, 3, 7, and conditional pick, we can tag Nicks and reasonably expect a 2nd Round pick.

- I dropped Baas, but left Snee. The reasoning is that I don’t like changing more than 2 starting OL in one season. I get this OL is terrible, but Snee will just have one more season and we can ease in a replacement in 2015. Baas carries more “dead money” but can be designated a post-June 1 and give us half that money back. Snee is a leader and fits next to Mack rather than making Baas a G.

- A note about Veldheer. He is a great player and will be worth the roughly $9 million/year he gets. But there is no way he hits the open market. The Raiders are projected $60 million under the cap and will easily re-sign or tag Veldheer long before the Giants have a shot.

- Rolle is owed a lot of money, but can be cut for much less. He is a leader in the locker room and will help provide stability during a coaching/scheme transition. Offer him around $6 million, which is far more than he will get in the open market. Kiwi would be a similar situation and makes sense in a 3-4 given his history as a 4-3 elephant SLB.

Well, here it is. I’m sure things will change, but this is my best shot right now. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by fracdaddy14 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans is an absolute monster. If we do get rid of Nicks, this is a very sexy way to get the fan base excited.
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. If we can somehow trade down and get another 1st round pick, I'd be all for that. This is supposed to be a good draft class. You certainly have the right idea in free agency. The Giants are going to have many holes to fill on the roster, and will likely be active in free agency.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Tehzl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
Evans is an absolute monster. If we do get rid of Nicks, this is a very sexy way to get the fan base excited.

Yep. Not much of a fan of getting a WR in the 1st when we have Randle, and Cruz, but Mike Evans is definitely something else.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Browns trading up for Clowney in this scenario? I feel like they only move up for a QB, if so who is it?
ESKY008

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That spencer long is a great pick up that late. Guys an apparent genius as well.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
Are Browns trading up for Clowney in this scenario? I feel like they only move up for a QB, if so who is it?

I'm assuming our pick is high, but not high enough for Clowney. Giants and JR wouldn't pass him up anyway. Definitely, a team trading up would be targeting a QB or possibly Barr/ Matthews. Cleveland would be for a QB. While the Giants wouldn't know or care which one, Hundley would best fit Cleveland's vertical passing offense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehzl wrote:
IR0NM1KE wrote:

Yep. Not much of a fan of getting a WR in the 1st when we have Randle, and Cruz, but Mike Evans is definitely something else.

Besides Jordan Matthews in Round 2, Evans is the only WR I'd target in the top 2 Rounds. He could be an absolute beast and isn't a "project" like many his size who just get by on that. I can't see Watkins fitting this team's style that would justify our first pick. And Marquise Lee seems off this year. He went from a heisman candidate to non-existant. If his knee injury is bad enough, why does he keep playing a half then sitting out the rest? Just rest it and come back healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I like it. If we can somehow trade down and get another 1st round pick, I'd be all for that. This is supposed to be a good draft class. You certainly have the right idea in free agency. The Giants are going to have many holes to fill on the roster, and will likely be active in free agency.

Thanks. I think, unlike last year where the Giants were tight against the cap, we have some cap room to play with. I firmly believe JR won't go hog wild and blow it on every FA possible. Instead of trying to pick out just vet minimum players, he can make a splash or two and pick up some good, cheap pieces. Bringing in a Parys Haralson or Arthur Moats type will help bring experience in a 3-4 while being solid contributors. If a player has trouble adjusting, they can fill in. Hopefully, there will be more to pick from. I haven't even looked at potential cuts from other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying into the Mike Evans hype train. He gets literally no separation, in college. His route running is not as good as people make it to be, he isn't quick and doesn't have great explosions out of his breaks. I just don't like him.

And of course he has his positives, as does every prospect (for the most part). He's a very good jump ball receiver. He's got one of the most ridiculous catch radius' I've seen in a long time. He's a QB friendly wideout. By that I mean, when the play goes south he's normally the quickest person to notice, and as a result makes a lot of plays where he becomes a safety net in a dire situation.

Also the one positive that I don't see people saying a lot, but should be. Is when it's 3rd & 10+, he thrives off the getting the ball short and just forcing his way to the first down.

I just don't see him being as good as everyone thinks he will be though.

Someone who get's harped for his speed, but is probably a lot faster than Evans. Is Allen Robinson. The more I watch him, the more I see Brandon Marshall. I just don't know what it is, but some teams don't know how to slow down Robinson. He's too gifted. Also he in my honest opinion is the most complete wideout in this class. He's got sub-4.4 speed, I expect him to run in at least the low 4.5's. He's got excellent jump ball skills, one of, if not, the best in the class at highpointing the ball. He breaks tackles on a consistent basis, he is a hugely underrated YAC monster. Has some really soft hands, just seems to make all the plays with more than one DB covering him. He's so underrated on FF, but he's going to be an absolute stud.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: