Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans Waived Wood, Montgomery and Jefferson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to cut the dead weight and rebuild. This team sucks and we're up against the cap....no other route to go.

Montgomery said he walked into a room where Wood and Jefferson were smoking a cigar.....he better be lying to try and save face or if they got cut for smoking a black then.....I give up on this franchise.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
biggio7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
We need to cut the dead weight and rebuild. This team sucks and we're up against the cap....no other route to go.

Montgomery said he walked into a room where Wood and Jefferson were smoking a cigar.....he better be lying to try and save face or if they got cut for smoking a black then.....I give up on this franchise.

Yeah a big white cigar no doubt. They just don't want to get into more trouble than losing their jobs.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Kub made it sound in his press conference the cutting of these players were a build up of things through their tenure here. Just my opinion of his vague comments on the situation.

He mentions Tuggle will move back to SAM OLB

Also said we might look at a KR/PR with the open spots. Welcome back Deji Karim!

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

File it under "I loaned my car to a friend last week" after the bag of weed is found in the glove box. Montgomery has done NOTHING in his time with the Texans to disprove his image as being much more inclined to sit on the couch smoking dope and playing video games than putting in the work necessary to be a successful professional football player. He was graced with enough physical skill to get off the couch to make a few plays on Saturdays, but I for one am happy to just admit our mistake with him and move forward. Set your clocks for 2-3 years when he will also just be at the "wrong place at the wrong time" and nearly unrecognizable in his 350 lb mugshot.

As for Willie, this is a brainiac who managed to get popped with bags of weed two weeks in a row to get himself booted from Baylor (one of them was the infamous one where he and Josh Gordon passed out in the Taco Bell with a bag of weed in the console, then he got popped with another bag the next week - he also got popped for pot in 09). I didn't bother saying anything when he was impressing in camp, but you will be hard pressed to find a more obvious case of a player juicing to make a team. This is a former WR with a very questionable work ethic who packed on 20 lbs in about a month when he had a chance to make this roster. Trust me, when the Browns are still looking to pawn off Josh Gordon despite his production, there is no reason to shed a tear for the lost potential of Willie J who I suspect will latch on somewhere and impress a week or two then flame out (pun intended).

Cierre Wood is the one that surprised me, but upon further examination, he too was busted in college for smoking weed, drawing a two game suspension just last year.

Understand that regardless of your feelings about the relative problems associated with smoking weed or the fact that "everybody does it in college" the defining lines of addiction get crossed when you can't put it down in the face of legal and career consequences and all three of these guys couldn't avoid it despite the presence of sufficient cause not to. I suspect more importantly, it likely fit a trend of lazy, disinterested, and lethargic play and practice, poor film study, and in a season going south already it's not worth the sacrifice for the coaching staff to have to try to coach up morons who think it's okay for bottom roster players on a 2-4 team to run around the hotel like it's 4-20. Next man, up.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Let's stop speculating and only post news or relevant facts, please.

Their history with weed are facts and wouldn't be complete speculation.

Anyway, how quick to you think we sign Forsett to the active roster to be the RB 3

See Apollo's post above as how to post on the topic without speculation. I don't mind if you speculate per se, but make sure you back up your assertions with evidence.

Sig by matthouston91
AkVerse47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9859855/houston-texans-cut-sam-montgomery-cierre-wood-willie-jefferson

ESPN is reporting that sources say they were booted for weed. Jefferson's agent denies that and claims he may file a grievance

[/url]

^^ props to mike23md for the sig
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why wood wasn't active.

It would have to be something huge. I've never heard of an NFL team releasing 3 players like this.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This roster is about to get blown up this offseason. It should be fun to watch.
biggio7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
This roster is about to get blown up this offseason. It should be fun to watch.

I'm glad and it's about time to cut those players.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brice McCain couldn't be in the room with them Mad
Cole416

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
Brice McCain couldn't be in the room with them Mad

with marciano distributing Laughing

Adopt a Texan:

Jadeveon Clowney:
1 GP
----
0 Sacks
1 Tackles
0 TFL
0 INT
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need to blow up the roster, just make some smart choices. We should be getting rid if Schaub, OD, manning, Reed, wade Smith and Antonio Smith. I'm pretty sure that would give us a ton if cap room , and all of those guys have a replacement on our roster except Schaub

Draft a QB
Texans02

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
We don't need to blow up the roster, just make some smart choices. We should be getting rid if Schaub, OD, manning, Reed, wade Smith and Antonio Smith. I'm pretty sure that would give us a ton if cap room , and all of those guys have a replacement on our roster except Schaub

Draft a QB

Ahh good, I like it better when we agree. =)

I think we may be able to get Ninja back on a more favorable contract given his age. Possibly the same for OD, though I think a team with poor TE production will roll the dice on a bigger deal for him. With Manning coming off a season ending injury, we may be able to get a fair deal on him as well.

Schaub has to go unless he completely redeems himself in the 2nd half of the season (and giving him that chance would probably enrage the fan base). Reed has been too anonymous for a player of his caliber. And Smith's replacements are already on the team.

Yes please!
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

Draft a QB

I was considering getting rid of those players as blowing up the roster considering they are 6/22 starters and guys who have been here for a long time besides Reed.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Draft a QB

I was considering getting rid of those players as blowing up the roster considering they are 6/22 starters and guys who have been here for a long time besides Reed.

I love how Texan fans still think the best way to improve the roster is to continue to ditch veterans and rely on draft picks. Has anyone been paying attention the past two seasons? You can trace the offensive problems directly to the decision to cut a veteran team leader in Erik Winston and let Brisiel walk in favor of a 7th round RT who impressed in practice and 3rd and 4th round draft picks at guard - one of whom is terrible (Ben Jones) and another (Brooks) who was such a physical mess that he couldn't take the field until December of his rookie year and has been marginal at best this season. Kevin Walter was the constant source of calls for upgrades via the draft which led us to 5 years of Jacoby Jones failure to develop, Lestar Jean preseason hype, and failed Posey and Martin picks in the 3rd and 4th round last year. We let another leader walk this year in Connor Barwin and replaced him with a 3rd round pick (Montgomery) that has already been cut and a 4th rounder (T. Williams) instantly sent to the IR resort because he wasn't good enough to beat out 3 UDFAs. This year we again tried to fill o-line holes via the draft which bought us two more preseason tickets to the IR resort with our 3rd and 6th rounders while WR & DT depth picks weren't good enough to make the team with the WR also sitting at the IR resort and NT likely our only player seeing the playoffs this year, albiet for New England. Exactly 1 Smith/Kubiak draft pick on the o-line has panned out in 7 drafts (10 picks), so stop acting like even replacing Wade Smith via the draft is some sort of slam dunk.

It's time to end the delusions that a playoff caliber team is going to remain a playoff caliber team when at best 1 or 2 draft picks will impact the current season and maybe 2 others serve as quality depth for a few years. If you don't believe me, review again the players still around from 07-09 and project who will be resigned from the 10-11 classes.

2007 - 0/7 - NONE!
2008 - 1/7 - #1 - Duane Brown
2009 - 2/8 - #1 - Cushing / 6th rounder McCain

2010 - 3/9 - #1 - Kareem / #3 Mitchell / #4 Graham
2011 - 3/8 - #1 - Watt / #2 Reed / #5 Keo

Nothing about 2012 & 2013 is any different as Mercilus & Brooks and Hopkins & Swearinger are the only ones that really seem to have any hope of sticking as starters along with Bullock (maybe). You can project Jared Crick as a starter all you want but he is a massive step back in ability and leadership from Antonio Smith just like Winston / Newton was.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that this team was stuck in mediocrity for 4 years because we kept starting mediocre 4th-7th round talent and that the ONLY leaps forward we have taken has been with 1st/2nd rounders like Watt / Cushing and free agents like Antonio, Joseph, and Manning. Foster is the lone exception and even that is mitigated since we burned a 2nd rounder on Tate anyway. Sure you occasionally get contributions from deeper picks for a few seasons, but largely you are getting starters in the first 2 rounds which means 8 starters every 4 year cycle if you draft perfectly and generally only one or 2 get resigned to 2nd deals so AT BEST you can effectively build 1/2 a team via the draft!

Meanwhile, people around here act as if ditching 6 starters is going to make this team BETTER anytime soon, when the reality is that using our history, that just puts us 3 years farther behind. Arguably Deandre Hopkins, JJ Watt, and Kareem Jackson are the only players drafted in the past 4 drafts that actually improved the starting roster (letting Mario walk vs. paying $100 million remains the right call, but it doesn't mean the team is actually better with Barwin, Reed, or Mericulus at WLB not to mention the 1st rounder, 2 2nd rounders, 3rd rounder, and 4th rounder spent on one position).

It's time Texans management and fans FINALLY evolve from the expansion team mentality that you just perpetually build through the draft as simple math tells you that it DOES NOT work as you will never hit critical mass. You have to retain your vets and add quality starters via free agency while using the draft to provide 1 or 2 new starters and the rest to resupply a 4 year churn of depth. There is also a place for short-term hole plugging via free agency which failed to happen two seasons in a row at RT, ILB, and Nickelback (vs. desperation off the street signings like Harris, Ruud, Mays, J. Allen). It's time to rethink our approach, but the answer IS NOT resetting to the 2008 model where low end picks like Zac Diles, Fred Bennett, CC Brown, and Brendan Harrison are starting alongside low rent FAs like Nick Ferguson, Eugene Wilson, and Kevin Bentley.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: