Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Well... It happened... Meriweather (reportedly) suspended
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to speak for Meriweather because I really have no idea, but I think he didnt articulate the point he was trying to make!!! I dont think he ment to say...Im going to blow out someone knees!!!! I think he was trying to say that football is a violent game and people get hurt. Hitting players high got him a suspenion which is forcing him to go low and will lead to more knee injuries! When DJ Swearinger blew out Dustin Kellars knee early this season he said..."I was making a hit playing football. In this league, you've got to go low. If you go high, you're going to get a fine," Swearinger told Andrew Abramson of The Palm Beach Post. "I'm sorry that happened. I would think you'd rather have more concussions than leg injuries. Leg injury, you can't come back from that. A concussion, you be back in a couple of weeks." This is an impossible situation for corners and safties that litterally have a split second to make a decission.....Its really more of a reaction than a decission!! The hit on Jeffery in the Bears game was a hit thats been made a million time in the NFL, and I think Jeffery ducked his head after Meriweather had already started the hit.......
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I dont want to speak for Meriweather because I really have no idea, but I think he didnt articulate the point he was trying to make!!! I dont think he ment to say...Im going to blow out someone knees!!!! I think he was trying to say that football is a violent game and people get hurt. Hitting players high got him a suspenion which is forcing him to go low and will lead to more knee injuries! When DJ Swearinger blew out Dustin Kellars knee early this season he said..."I was making a hit playing football. In this league, you've got to go low. If you go high, you're going to get a fine," Swearinger told Andrew Abramson of The Palm Beach Post. "I'm sorry that happened. I would think you'd rather have more concussions than leg injuries. Leg injury, you can't come back from that. A concussion, you be back in a couple of weeks." This is an impossible situation for corners and safties that litterally have a split second to make a decission.....Its really more of a reaction than a decission!! The hit on Jeffery in the Bears game was a hit thats been made a million time in the NFL, and I think Jeffery ducked his head after Meriweather had already started the hit.......
That's exactly what he was trying to say, but he said it wrong. It was exactly what DJ Swearinger was saying after he tore up Dustin Keller's knee.

I do agree about the Jeffery hit. IMO, Meriweather should have been smarter about that hit and hit Jeffery a little lower like in his abdomen or lower chest, but that's easier said that done with two moving targets running as fast as they can and he WR is ducking his head as you said. It's a natural reaction.

Lavar Arrington explained as well as he could (and we all know how great he is at explanations... Laughing ) that Meriweather and defenders are taught to hit this way since high school. He also said the safeties and linebackers make these types of hits so they don't take players knees out or ankles out and end the offensive players season or career.

He also said defensive players lower their heads and shoulders to hit so that they protect their lower body from the wrs or running backs coming at them low at full speed. Those players coming at them low, at full speed are aiming for the defenders legs and the defensive players are using their shoulder pads and helmet to hit the offensive player and to protect their own legs, knees and ankles from being taken out by the offensive player.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: