Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Well... It happened... Meriweather (reportedly) suspended
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
@MikeJonesWaPo: Redskins will bring back Jordan Pugh, two sources tell @MarkMaske and me, w Meriweather suspended and Doughty uncertain (concussion).

Can you believe he wasn't snapped up by one of the other 31 teams.. We're so lucky Rolling Eyes
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9868587/brandon-meriweather-washington-redskins-ban-reduced-nfl

Punishment reduced to 1 game suspension. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9868587/brandon-meriweather-washington-redskins-ban-reduced-nfl

I did think on the first hit he was more into the shoulder but the receiver ( Jeffries? )tucked his head a bit..He did leave his feet though .. The second one was late and high..
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

I did think on the first hit he was more into the shoulder but the receiver ( Jeffries? )tucked his head a bit..He did leave his feet though .. The second one was late and high..

I have to be in the minority on both hits after watching them in slo-mo. The 2nd one I agree that he should've gotten his face up. But after watching them again I see that he's trying to lead with the shoulder.

Obviously the 2nd hit was too high. But let's be honest here. Meriweather is someone who can actually deliver a hit properly (as Cooley said on the show the other day). I really haven't seen a member of the secondary hit as hard since Sean. And one wonders what fines that some of Sean's hits would've garnered in today's NFL.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Marcus21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

I have to be in the minority on both hits after watching them in slo-mo. The 2nd one I agree that he should've gotten his face up. But after watching them again I see that he's trying to lead with the shoulder.

Obviously the 2nd hit was too high. But let's be honest here. Meriweather is someone who can actually deliver a hit properly (as Cooley said on the show the other day). I really haven't seen a member of the secondary hit as hard since Sean. And one wonders what fines that some of Sean's hits would've garnered in today's NFL.

Great point Thai!!! Sean used to destroy people leading with his head! Brandon Marshall is a big boy and Meriweather had a split second to react! The hit on Jeffery seemed legit! I think people just don't like Meriweather and this is the reaction you get
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem for Meriweather is that on a close call, its going to go against him because of his reputation. It's just the way it is.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing the other day Thai. Could Sean even play in the league today?

He'd have to totally change his game, because incidental contact with a wrs helmet is going to happen when the two players are running at each other as fast as they can.

I honestly think Brandon can do better at not making those high hits. He do in the Detroit, Oak, and Dallas game, so I think it was just one of those things, he got there late and two high in both instances. It's not going to happen all the time, every hit.

Apparently, Haz had a talk with Meriweather - I think in thursday - does anyone know what came of that?

I haven't heard

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
The problem for Meriweather is that on a close call, its going to go against him because of his reputation. It's just the way it is.
definitelty, he's blackballed, just like Suh

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/10/24/haslett-redskins-must-do-better-to-teach-meriweather-proper-tackling/

Haslett talks about Meriweather's hits, how they have taught better technique and will continue to teach Meriweather and out there safeties better techniques.
Quote:

“We do a good job teaching our guys what the league is asking you to do from that standpoint,” Haslett said at Redskins Park. “But obviously it didn’t work in his case. So we’ve got to do better because we’ve got to eliminate the penalties because that hurt us more than anything from a team standpoint last week in the game.”

““...My concern was more with the penalties…. Obviously I was more concerned with the style of which he was tackling more than the fine or whatever. I’m concerned with him doing a better job of wrapping his arms, bringing the guy down and not launching.”

“I don’t think it’s hard because we do tackling drills out there,” Haslett said. “It’s not full, live tackling because you don’t want to get anybody hurt. But we do tackling drills. That’s part of our routine every week and in training camp. So I think he has that understanding.”

TheOleBallCoach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriweather's a joke. Always has been. His record of hitting players is astounding. He did it at Miami. He did at New England, which contributed to Belichick throwing his arms and booting his behind (that, and him getting beat like a rag doll). He's done it here. He always leads with his helmet.

Meriweather is a guy who is legitimately playing to hurt other players. He's trying to knock people out of games, and in brutal fashion. I'm not talking ankle sprains here. Ridiculous the league reduced his suspension. Guy needs a talking to.

AdoptASkin - Keiland Williams (Lions) - 57/195/2TD
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every player and former player I have ever herd on the subject has stated that they would rather be hit in the head rather than the knee....I read an article on csnwashington.com where Meriweather was quoted as saying from now on hes going low, and he doesnt want to hear anyone crying when he blows someones knee out!!! Im not sure why Meriweather gets such a bad rap.... I cant think of one safety that doesnt lead with their helmet. I dont hear anyone calling Bernard Pollard, Deshan Golston, or any other safety dirty?
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Almost every player and former player I have ever herd on the subject has stated that they would rather be hit in the head rather than the knee....I read an article on csnwashington.com where Meriweather was quoted as saying from now on hes going low, and he doesnt want to hear anyone crying when he blows someones knee out!!! Im not sure why Meriweather gets such a bad rap.... I cant think of one safety that doesnt lead with their helmet. I dont hear anyone calling Bernard Pollard, Deshan Golston, or any other safety dirty?
Well all those safeties have been called dirty by the media, fans and other players.

You don't think Pollard was called dirty when he blew out Tom Brady's knee?

Meriweather is playing how he was taught to play for the past 15 years up until this past year. It's hard to change that. Meriweather is fine, he'll adjust and start hitting players in between their shoulders and knees. And diving for ankles if need be.

The rules suck, but they are the rules. As Lavar said today poeople don't understand how hard it is to hit a target moving at top speed and you're moving at top speed right at it. Then, to have to just target them at a certain area, it's hard. It's hard enough to just tackle these big strong players on offense in just the right way and it's hard to know when to pull up when you're already aiming to hit them. Then the offensive players prove and duck also.

Even Brandon Marshall admitted how hard the DBs job was today. He eluded to the rules being unfair towards defenders and that it's impossible to take some of these hits out of the game.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Well all those safeties have been called dirty by the media, fans and other players.

You don't think Pollard was called dirty when he blew out Tom Brady's knee?

Meriweather is playing how he was taught to play for the past 15 years up until this past year. It's hard to change that. Meriweather is fine, he'll adjust and start hitting players in between their shoulders and knees. And diving for ankles if need be.

The rules suck, but they are the rules. As Lavar said today poeople don't understand how hard it is to hit a target moving at top speed and you're moving at top speed right at it. Then, to have to just target them at a certain area, it's hard. It's hard enough to just tackle these big strong players on offense in just the right way and it's hard to know when to pull up when you're already aiming to hit them. Then the offensive players prove and duck also.

Even Brandon Marshall admitted how hard the DBs job was today. He eluded to the rules being unfair towards defenders and that it's impossible to take some of these hits out of the game.
I'm ok with the NFL flagging players for hits to the head. But if they're going to hand out fines after games for them then every penny of those fines should go to a fund for retired players with disabilities and/or brain medical research. The league should not profit from policing the players.

Edit - ok I retract my beef with the NFL on this one. Apparently all fine money already does go to retired players and/or charity

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1507734-the-many-inconsistencies-in-nfl-fines

All on-field fine money collected by the NFL is used for charitable purposes. These funds have been used to support retired player programs, including the NFL Player Care Foundation and NFLPA Players Assistance Trust; disaster relief initiatives; and health-related charities.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching espn today and it was said that Jermichael Finley said he purposely dropped his head to protect his knees when he got his spinal cord contusion!!!
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I was watching espn today and it was said that Jermichael Finley said he purposely dropped his head to protect his knees when he got his spinal cord contusion!!!

It's hard for guys who are in their twenties to look forward to their fifties. It's easy to say "oh, that won't be me." However, they KNOW what knee injuries look like (if they haven't experienced one themselves already), and they know how much work that is. They know it is possible that a knee injury will end their career right now.

That said, Meriweather didn't get the right message due to the suspension: the point wasn't to injure the other team's player in a different location, it was to not injure them at all. Yes injuries happen, but to wipe your hands because you say you're targeting a player's knees now? That's just as dirty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: