Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How did you become a Jet fan ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me it was about 23 yrs ago! I was always an avid hockey fan but I got sucked into a football pool. Of course I was a bottom dweller but one week some long shots came in but none greater than the JETS. Won the week $, told everyone I went off a hunch and now sit in a Green and White rec room! LOL
As I grow old I must say that this team has been a challenge to root for but I wouldn't give it up for a minute!!! The people on this site are a pleasure as well! Thank You! Rolling Eyes
jg6041

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpy wrote:
With me it was about 23 yrs ago! I was always an avid hockey fan but I got sucked into a football pool. Of course I was a bottom dweller but one week some long shots came in but none greater than the JETS. Won the week $, told everyone I went off a hunch and now sit in a Green and White rec room! LOL
As I grow old I must say that this team has been a challenge to root for but I wouldn't give it up for a minute!!! The people on this site are a pleasure as well! Thank You! Rolling Eyes

Grow old are you even 30 yet sharpy?
Talk to me and Harris in a few. Wink

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
sharpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 52 but after serving in a war and busting my rear in a factory for 30 yrs I feel old!
jg6041

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpy wrote:
I'm 52 but after serving in a war and busting my rear in a factory for 30 yrs I feel old!

You are old lol Very Happy How did you get sucked into being a Jets fan?
A pool? Was it worth it?

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
sharpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned to take a lot of jabs, not to mention the odd uppercut but it just makes the victories so much sweeter. I guess that's what I love about the JETS so much. That and with my JETS room , not to many people come over!ha!ha! Just Kidding!
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
jetfuel wrote:
moham-17 wrote:
It was absolutely random chance for me.

I was 10 years old at the time, and happened to catch the Jets-Ravens AFC championship game back in 2000. I just remember thinking how awesome the green and white jerseys looked, and I've been hooked ever since.

Before that point I was just a little bandwagoner like alot of young kids.

That said, I bleed pure green and white as much as any die-hard fan.

It literally ruins the crap out of my week when the Jets come out and flop on Sundays...

I think it was Denver. I was in college and kicked my TV after the game and put a hole in the TV.

You're right about the CG being against the Denver Broncos, but that was in 99.

So apparently the Ravens game I'm referring to was actually just the last game of the season; but there was a playoff berth on the line and we ended up losing.

Yeah, I think you'rethinking of the 2000 season when Al Groh was HC. The last game of the season against the Ravens, the Jets had a 14-0 lead on the Ravens (the year when they had that legendary defense and won the Superbowl).

If I remember correctly, the Jets were in FG range to go up 17-0 towards the end of the first half, but ran a HB option play where Lamont Jordan threw an interception, and the Ravens were able to score in the final seconds . That sucked hard.

JG brings up Miami. One of the greatest moments in Jetsfandom was also from that 2000 season. The Monday Night Miracle against the Dolphins was tremendous. I remember the game went until like after 1:00 AM, and I think I finally got to bed at 2:30. I had to be at work at 7 the next morning, but I was so jacked, I felt like I was floating all day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up my father's family were baseball fans that were upset when the NY giants went west. (Since my father was a National league fan I ended up a Mets fan)

My first exposure to football wasn't until the early 60s when I remember watching a bowl game at an uncle's house.

I guess I was curious when Namath made news that he was going to the AFL instead of the NFL. So I started reading the papers and catching games on radio and eventually TV. It didn't take long to become addicted. (A few years later I remember sitting in front of a 7" Sony black and white tv, chain smoking camel non filtered cigarettes cheering them on. )

Similarly a year earlier I remember reading about this rookie the NY Knicks had named Willis Reed. I fell in love with him and the Knicks by the middle of his rookie year. I think I was looking to follow new teams so reading about Willis and Namath were all I needed
iliketowel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family has had season tickets since 1983. I started going to games in 1986 (I was 7 years old in 1986). I "didn't want to see the Jets lose in the first game I went to", so somehow my parents let me leave the 51-45 game when the Jets were down 45-38.

I've never left another game early... Basically the Jets are as much a part of my family as anything.
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in Rochester NY. We lived 45 miles south of "the rock", as we called it, up through college.
My whole family loved the Bills' and I was too young (maybe 4 ) to really care. But I was watching TV with my dad and Bills were playing a team with green uniforms. My favorite color was green so from then on I was a Jets fan. This is according to my parents (*Thank God the the bills weren't playing Philly that day!)
Every week I would watch football with my dad and ask where the green team was. Since then I've come to love them for better reasons, but all it took when I was 4 was the color. I was born in 78' so the late 80's and early 90's were REALLY rough.

On a side note- my daughter is 3 and she calls them the "green Jets"... even has a little chant. Not too many Jets fans here in Iowa, but I'll hold down the state as much as I can for us!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: