Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re-sign Troy Polamalu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re-sign Troy Polamalu Reply with quote

He is back!! I feel like people have been wanting to get rid of Troy amid the injury concerns, and I've seen enough to argue he warrants a contract extension. He's 32 right now with a year left and I think he could play until he is 35-36. A lot of safeties have made it that far and I understand the way he plays could put that in jeopardy. Ed Reed is a bad example now bc of the hip, but Rod Woodson played until 38, but he wasn't nearly as physical as Troy or Reed. Ed Reed when back to health still has a few years left.

I think a 3 year extension makes sense so they can spread out next year's 8.25 salary out for four years. If you spread out 7M of the 8.25M salary next year that would save roughly 5.25M off of next year's cap. Keep in mind the last year of the extension he won't play and they call it a "filler year" or something as the player would retire before that time and that 1.75M we would spread out from a salary restructure (after this year) would simply disappear from the cap.

Thoughts on re-signing Troy?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I desperately want Troy to retire a Steeler...and I honestly dont think he would play for another team. He has already stated that he doesnt want to play anywhere else and that football isnt the most important thing in his life, so I think we will either extend him and he will retire here, or we will let his contract run out, and he will retire if they dont extend him.

I wouldnt handicap our future to keep him, but he should retire on his own terms with this team.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I desperately want Troy to retire a Steeler...and I honestly dont think he would play for another team. He has already stated that he doesnt want to play anywhere else and that football isnt the most important thing in his life, so I think we will either extend him and he will retire here, or we will let his contract run out, and he will retire if they dont extend him.

I wouldnt handicap our future to keep him, but he should retire on his own terms with this team.

Agreed, Would you extend him after the year? It looks to me that he has plenty left in the tank
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Agreed, Would you extend him after the year? It looks to me that he has plenty left in the tank

I would. Maybe to 2016.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this makes a lot of sense. I say extend him two more years past next year. Pushing his cap number makes sense for next year and the cap will jump up by the time his contract expires. Get him locked up until his mid 30s. Assuming he can stay relatively healthy, (I'm sure after the injuries he's had he is taking more precautions) he still brings superb presence & performance on the field. And hopefully he retires a Steeler. I don't see him playing until the bitter end.
grubs10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I would. Maybe to 2016.

I would offer him a team friendly extension through 2016 (without completely lowballing him of course) and I'm sure he would accept. I imagine that with Troy the only thing he is thinking about with his next contract is being able to play the game he loves in Pittsburgh, not how much money he is making

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not after he mis-timed that rush on that extra point. Inexcusable. Kick him off the team NOW!! Wink

Yep, fully agree. We need to make sure we have a competent back-up, because he does have injury issues over the past few years, and I know it's not smart to tie up a lot of money in the SS position, but without a decent back-up, we run the risk of seriously hindering our D. Shamarko does potentially help that situation though.

Props to Jamison on the image!!!
Raven's Fan-
mounimonster wrote:
Lol..The only people taking Brown are...Pittsburgh fans....This poll shouldn't be close...
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see this being an Ed Reed situation where we let him go to be a shell somewhere else when he should of just retired. I see him retiring in Pittsburgh.

I feel a lot better about the S situation since Shamarko Thomas was drafted. I feel like we're much more equipped to deal with a Troy injury now.
chrisororke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I believe he wants to retire in Pittsburgh, I believe Troy wants to win more than being loyal to Pittsburgh. Hypothetically speaking if the team misses the playoffs say the next two years I could easily see saying I had fun, but I think I'll have a better chance in say SF or something like that
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would let him play out the rest of his contract and take it year by year after that. While troy does look good he is still old and could fall apart at any time. I think he still has 2 more years on his contract this year and next. To me it would be too big a risk to give out a big contract to a guy that has been beat up in the past and is only getting older. If worse came to worse yoi could always franchise tag him which wouldnt be all that expensive for a safety if you had to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As much as I believe he wants to retire in Pittsburgh, I believe Troy wants to win more than being loyal to Pittsburgh. Hypothetically speaking if the team misses the playoffs say the next two years I could easily see saying I had fun, but I think I'll have a better chance in say SF or something like that

He has never shown this to be in his personality.

Quote:
I would let him play out the rest of his contract and take it year by year after that. While troy does look good he is still old and could fall apart at any time. I think he still has 2 more years on his contract this year and next. To me it would be too big a risk to give out a big contract to a guy that has been beat up in the past and is only getting older. If worse came to worse yoi could always franchise tag him which wouldnt be all that expensive for a safety if you had to.

I don't know if he would go for this, either. Year by year at his age and with the damage his body has taken may not be worth it to him. He has two rings, and he's made a lot of money already.

I would hate to see Polamalu walk, but people need to face the reality that this team can't afford to keep signing guys like him to third contracts. It's better to let go too early by a year or two than to be stuck with a broken vet for another 2-3. The team got away from this when they thought they had a larger Super Bowl window and the cap kept going up.

If anything, I think the team needs to ask him to take a paycut after this year. He hasn't produced a single turnover to this point. While his support against the run and ability to make key plays is still valuable, he wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of cash he currently is scheduled to make on the open market.

If he's willing to take a paycut, extend him another 2 years. That seems like a fair deal for both sides to me, but we'll see.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, look at the way the guy plays. His motor never stops. I don't think he'd see it as "this team missed the playoffs two years in a row..." I think he'd see it as "I will get this team to the playoffs after missing them two years in a row..."

Also, regarding a paycut, can you really ask him to take one? He's not a shell yet. He's a top 5 S in the NFL right now.
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they release Troy to sign Pouncey long term, they better be ready for failure and loss of fans. Troy stays as long as he wants and can and gets paid properly. Taylor, Pouncey and other high paid players to be will feel the effect or better.

Troy retires a steeler and goes to a few more probowls (not that it means anything) then goes to Canton 5 years later. Troy is one of the best ever, the FO better not screw this up.
chrisororke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if he would go for this, either. Year by year at his age and with the damage his body has taken may not be worth it to him. He has two rings, and he's made a lot of money already.

I would hate to see Polamalu walk, but people need to face the reality that this team can't afford to keep signing guys like him to third contracts. It's better to let go too early by a year or two than to be stuck with a broken vet for another 2-3. The team got away from this when they thought they had a larger Super Bowl window and the cap kept going up.

If anything, I think the team needs to ask him to take a paycut after this year. He hasn't produced a single turnover to this point. While his support against the run and ability to make key plays is still valuable, he wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of cash he currently is scheduled to make on the open market.

If he's willing to take a paycut, extend him another 2 years. That seems like a fair deal for both sides to me, but we'll see.

I just say that bc he seemed visibly upset with the team's performance in this video. He's a soft spoken man but nature, but he almost seems to have a sullen mood and this was after a win. Watch the whole video and let me know what you think. You can argue I'm reading too much into this but he's not the jovial Troy with the smile that can light up the room.

That's why I say he would prefer winning to staying "loyal"

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Troy-Polamalu-on-Creating-Confusion/652cf94f-5d54-4162-88c9-5927716ae09d
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give him another deal at his current salary...can't count on him to stay healthy and productive at his age.

If you want to extend him, he's gonna have to give up some salary.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: