Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 UP 5 DOwn RaVENS Game 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBF, we didn't get to see much of Pouncey in the new scheme. He might excel in it, considering they brought Velasco in off the street and he did.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
43M, I think you're right, I think we'll let Velasco walk. It drives me crazy that they do things like that too because Velasco has proven to be legit.

Seconded...I fully agree with 43M's train of thought.

Sad thing is, as you pointed out, they will probably let Velasco walk, overpay Pouncey, and refuse to put Adams at RT, or actually give him a few games at LT to work it out.

We overpay Colon to be a RT, which I'm sorry, he did not play THAT well to earn. Why can't they recognize that Velasco is our answer at OC and force Pouncey to play RG or LG, or walk. I think I'm more concerned about losing Velasco at this point then Pouncey, as I think Pouncey will net us some picks in the process, at least.

We finally have the makings for a decent OL, even if they were to keep Beachum at LT permananetly, I'd be ok with that. He's not great, but the other 4 more than make up for his deficiencies, and we can game plan for those, if their smart.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I just have a bad feeling they will let Valesco walk, despite the fact that, overall, he is a better center than Pouncey.

I agree with those that say it would be better to move Pouncey to LG than Velasco, since I think Pouncey could actually be better at LG and not having to worry about calling out assignments and stuff. However, I agree with MightyJoe that it likely wont happen. They seem to love Pouncey as center. Now, its not as bad as "loving" Colon at RT or Kemo at RG, but the fact is Pouncey isnt so good that he should just be handed the job.

Thats always my main issue with this teams OLine decisions....they just seem to hand jobs over. Never seems like there is ever any real competition where players have to actually win a job.

With the way the OLine has been, they need to change things up. DeCastron is coming around. Velasco has been a nice addition. Add Pouncey to the mix and it could be real nice....but I would experiment with moving Pouncey to LG....and maybe even RG whilst moving DeCastro to LG.

I have the same bad feeling about letting Velasco walk because they signed foster to a deal. They should keep Velasco but if other teams catch onto how good Velasco is, he will be in for a payday IMO. If Bell gets 1200yards over 9 games, then people might start talking like us and say that Velasco is quite good while pouncey is overrated. Pouncey never cried in camp as a rookie playing OG next to hartwig, but he might consider himself a star as he once said, and with that is the problem I see. Too bad really, because the FO is thinking pouncey is like another Dawson which he clearly was not before the injury, and definitely won't be after the injury, but a good player. The fact the team picked up a UFA for cheap during the season and he has filled in and there is no drop off should have some of these commentators speaking up a bit. I hope Bell gets 1200 yards and about 6 ypc and then lets hear what people say. They will say it's bell and how good he is without pouncey in there probably'Rolling Eyes'

Maybe they sign Velasco to an extension mid season once Bell averages 6ypc Idea

The problem we have here with the FO and OL is the history in which they have been repeatedly foolish about talent selection among other things, colon deal, kemo, scoot essux etc. We al wait to see about next year, but I am saying they cut taylor TO sign Pouncey long term, be all grateful for making him the highest paid center. Maybe they let him play out his final contract and see how he can play after the injury (learn from colon deal) and then perhaps get good compensation if he gets the top deal somewhere else. Other teams might buy into the hype and need the C, maybe arians. Laughing
grubs10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we atleast try Velasco at LG before letting him walk. Unless of course he gets big money from somebody who needs a center.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velasco isn't better then Pouncey just surrounded by better OL players. It's easy for a OC to do his job when the guys next to him are doing theirs.

I understand that Pouncey hype is bigger then his game right now. I agree that Pouncey is going to garner top OC dollars, but Pouncey hasn't even sniffed his prime. Fans are acting like he wasn't a 20 yr old rookie and won't be 25 till next year.

Velasco has filled in nicely just like Hoke did for Hampton. But just like when Hampton got hurt and Hoke played well everybody wanted to get rid of Hampton. But the reality is that Hampton was the better player the coaches knew it, the players knew it and so did Chris Hoke.

Foster isn't losing his job and neither is Pouncey even if Velasco is great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Velasco isn't better then Pouncey just surrounded by better OL players. It's easy for a OC to do his job when the guys next to him are doing theirs.

I understand that Pouncey hype is bigger then his game right now. I agree that Pouncey is going to garner top OC dollars, but Pouncey hasn't even sniffed his prime. Fans are acting like he wasn't a 20 yr old rookie and won't be 25 till next year.

Velasco has filled in nicely just like Hoke did for Hampton. But just like when Hampton got hurt and Hoke played well everybody wanted to get rid of Hampton. But the reality is that Hampton was the better player the coaches knew it, the players knew it and so did Chris Hoke.

No, Velasco is better.

The Hampton/Hoke comparison is terrible because Hoke was good but never on Hampton's level, while Velasco is simply better than Pouncey. Pouncey is a better puller and more athletic. Velasco is much smarter and stronger, and is fairing better than Pouncey has since his rookie year.

Foster isnt losing his job? I guess I cant argue that since this team makes mind numbing OLine decisions, but he certainly doesnt deserve to be handed the job.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velasco much more stout and a lot better with a guy on his nose.

Another aspect that isn't mentioned is his pass pro...Pouncey had a problem with DL putting him in roller skates and walking him into Bens lap....Velasco win those battles.

I look at this way...If Pouncey can probably get 7-8 mill on avg...Velasco is probably seeing no more then $4 mill avg per...Even if he's better...is he 2x as good?

Hell no.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Velasco isn't better then Pouncey just surrounded by better OL players.

oh.

well ok then.

the offensive line suddenly got a lot better surrounding the center position? It's still Foster and DeCastro in the middle.

Bottom line - Velasco is far better at anchoring in pass pro than Pouncey. He's not as good downfield in the running game, but I'll trade that for someoen who can actually anchor a bit, something Pouncey has not been good at

SteelProven wrote:
I understand that Pouncey hype is bigger then his game right now. I agree that Pouncey is going to garner top OC dollars, but Pouncey hasn't even sniffed his prime.

he's regressed each season as a Pro. Perhaps he will never sniff his prime.

SteelProven wrote:

and that's a shame, because neither Pouncey nor Foster are great. You are correct though, the way we run our OL will preclude Velasco from actually being allowed to stick around because Pouncey is "the guy", just liike Colon was "the guy".

Shame really, but Pouncey should be tried out at LG, and if he isn't able to adapt, then let him go after the season.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing my once a week Velasco check and saw all the talk about him. Laughing

In Tennessee, he was definitely a better center than a guard. Great in pass-protection and overall is a smart football player, but doesn't quite get the push in the run game that you want from a guard. Still pissed we let him walk, but Schwenke looked good in his first start.

Even if it's in Pittsburgh, happy to see that he's doing well. Got a really rough deal in Tennessee, sat behind the embarrassment that was Eugene Amano for far too long, finally breaks the starting lineup, plays well and then injuries at guard leads to our coaching staff moving him to guard, which is just not his natural position. Always impressed as a center and not surprised to see him having some success with you guys.

Obviously I don't know a ton about Pouncey as I fully admit I haven't exactly studied Steelers tape, but he seems like a guy, with his athleticism, that would be a real nice fit at guard.
grubs10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Just doing my once a week Velasco check and saw all the talk about him. Laughing

In Tennessee, he was definitely a better center than a guard. Great in pass-protection and overall is a smart football player, but doesn't quite get the push in the run game that you want from a guard. Still pissed we let him walk, but Schwenke looked good in his first start.

Even if it's in Pittsburgh, happy to see that he's doing well. Got a really rough deal in Tennessee, sat behind the embarrassment that was Eugene Amano for far too long, finally breaks the starting lineup, plays well and then injuries at guard leads to our coaching staff moving him to guard, which is just not his natural position. Always impressed as a center and not surprised to see him having some success with you guys.

Obviously I don't know a ton about Pouncey as I fully admit I haven't exactly studied Steelers tape, but he seems like a guy, with his athleticism, that would be a real nice fit at guard.

I think the pride of both Pouncey and the coaches/front office is gonna get in the way of Pouncey moving to guard. Which unfortunately will probably leave Velasco high and dry again and looking for a new team at the end of the year. Hopefully, for his sake, someone recognizes how well he has done for us this season and picks him up to be the center of their future.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

I think the pride of both Pouncey and the coaches/front office is gonna get in the way of Pouncey moving to guard. Which unfortunately will probably leave Velasco high and dry again and looking for a new team at the end of the year. Hopefully, for his sake, someone recognizes how well he has done for us this season and picks him up to be the center of their future.

Yeah, hopefully steelers FO will keep Velasco as their C for their future and maybe trade pouncey. At least get good compensatory pick for pouncey when he leaves. If Beachum developes as well as Whimper, then maybe draft a OG next year. Seems different than what most want but wait for the end of the season. With Gilbert hurt, I see him losing his job as well as not being able to fall on team mates.

Velasco is new here and lets see how this works once the OL has played together for a while and Bell gets comfortable. I see 6 ypc for Bell and 1200 yards despite the slow start.

Nice way Keth put it about pouncey and roller skates , as he never was stout . Even down the field on the second level I can't remember him staying on his blocks well, not worth the hype at all. It's only a few games into a losing season thus far and some here are already saying Velasco is comparable or better. Lets hope the FO can see this, but they evaluate the OL different than anyone else ever has Rolling Eyes
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:

I think the pride of both Pouncey and the coaches/front office is gonna get in the way of Pouncey moving to guard. Which unfortunately will probably leave Velasco high and dry again and looking for a new team at the end of the year.

sadly, I think this is the truth.
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouncey is likely next in the great Steeler tradition of Kendoll, FSSK, and Willie Colon in receiving a cap killing, poor ROI OL contract.

He's a better player than any of them if he actually stays healthy and hits his peak...but I agree with keth that that peak is getting lower and less likely to be reached each passing year.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
Pouncey is likely next in the great Steeler tradition of Kendoll, FSSK, and Willie Colon in receiving a cap killing, poor ROI OL contract.

He's a better player than any of them if he actually stays healthy and hits his peak...but I agree with keth that that peak is getting lower and less likely to be reached each passing year.

anyone form the FO here? Please take note if so Idea
snoopydawg44us

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the F O sees this please move Pouncey to LG and ke
ep Valesco at Center. Learn from passed moves which were bad for the oline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: