Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys reportedly $31 million over 2014 cap.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Dallas will restructure Romo and Ware.

Likely cuts include Austin, Bernadeau, Parnell, Costa, Durant

Total savings $22-27m. They are currently at $144m.

Wouldn't cutting Austin cost you almost 8 Million in dead money?

according to overthecap.com $7.8m and about $8.2m salary number, net savings of $393k
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:

Well again. This is Shefter. This isn't some obscure blog or sketchy sport site reporting this. I just wish he would post the numbers or at least the source. Because Ratliff's dead money is included in that Sportstrac prediction. So I wonder what is the not listed there that is being calculated into the 31M over he is reporting.

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2014
They have you at 145m with Ratliff's dead money as well.

Agreed that Shefter is usually better than this. However, if 2014 was the cowboys' concern, they would've IR'd Ratliff and made him a June 1st cut. Clearly, they are more concerned about keeping dead money off 2015 (currently $0 dead money) than 2014. They know Dez and Carter are going to cost...
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good players are going to have to get traded. I'm looking at the cap breakdown and of their highest paid players the only one I see that would make a dent if not actually cost them money by cutting is Ware.

Free Ray Rice
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the penalty a team is simply just over the cap one week?
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Some good players are going to have to get traded. I'm looking at the cap breakdown and of their highest paid players the only one I see that would make a dent if not actually cost them money by cutting is Ware.

Yeah I looked at that too, I am curious as to how they will get under the cap. Ware and some of there core younger players are the only guys that would save them cap space if cut. Restructuring contracts will only delay the problem, but they are going to have to do some restructures it seems.

Dirk Gently wrote:
Dallas will restructure Romo and Ware.

Likely cuts include Austin, Bernadeau, Parnell, Costa, Durant

Total savings $22-27m. They are currently at $144m.

But wouldn't those guys only be freeing up about 1.5 mil each in cap space next year? Restructure the rest again?
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't be players in FA for a couple of years. Might not be the worst.

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Ware and Romo account for ~27m alone in salary. Just restructuring those alone puts us near/totally under the cap.

So I would assume you're talking about restructuring both to be minimum salaries and the rest new signing bonuses? I don't quite understand how it'd be desirable to push $27m into future years. Restructures always catch up to a team -- ask the Jets. If the Cowboys were to push that much money into future years, they're setting themselves up for multiple years of very, very tough sledding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Ware and Romo account for ~27m alone in salary. Just restructuring those alone puts us near/totally under the cap.

So I would assume you're talking about restructuring both to be minimum salaries and the rest new signing bonuses? I don't quite understand how it'd be desirable to push $27m into future years. Restructures always catch up to a team -- ask the Jets. If the Cowboys were to push that much money into future years, they're setting themselves up for multiple years of very, very tough sledding.

Not only that. Even though Romo and Ware's salaries equate to 27m the total cost against the cap is actually 39m according to Sportstrac including the signing and other bonuses...

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Not only that. Even though Romo and Ware's salaries equate to 27m the total cost against the cap is actually 39m according to Sportstrac including the signing and other bonuses...

Yep, just looked that up as well.

The Cowboys are going to have to make some big decisions after this season. Romo's cap hit goes up $10m, Ware's up $8m, Witten's up $4m, Carr's up $7m, going to have to re-sign Lee, and Scandrick's up $3m (or $5.7m dead if cut).

Will be interesting to see how they handle it -- whether they bite the bullet, make the tough decisions and take a few steps back to re-tool, or if they restructure, go for the championship now and sacrifice the future couple of years.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee was already re-signed. Scan was on the chopping block for next year (which is why we drafted Webb, even though he has played awful) but Mo has regressed and Scan has been great. So he is up in the air. Although I would not be surprised if this is his last season with us.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Lee was already re-signed. Scan was on the chopping block for next year (which is why we drafted Webb, even though he has played awful) but Mo has regressed and Scan has been great. So he is up in the air. Although I would not be surprised if this is his last season with us.

Ah, that's my mistake -- I didn't scroll down far enough. Then simply add that Lee's cap hit rises $4.5m as well.

And yeah, I'd have to agree that Scandrick is likely gone. Will have to find a trade partner, however, that is willing to take on those types of hits for him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Were more like 15-20m over. Romo and Ware restructure and we are under.

I won't bother going through all the numbers. Why? Because half of you are too ignorant to the cap to understand it (not being mean, its complicated and hard to understand). The other half of you already realize that this is highly over exaggerated.

this these is useless.

I mean, it's not something that's crippling. I fully expect Dallas to be at or just under the cap next year with a fairly intact team without doing much of anything but shedding bad contracts of useless players and restructuring/extending some core guys.

It's certainly not harmless either. It puts significant limitations on the team short term, and spreads out quite a bit of that damage in later years. If you don't think Dallas is a contender right now, this makes it harder for them to become one with their current roster. It delays a rebuild. That's the camp I'm in... I don't think the current roster has the potential to be elite. They're certainly not bad, but this iteration of the Cowboys won't ever break into contender status in my eyes.

If I were a Dallas fan, I'd want at least a subtle rebuild. That obviously isn't going to happen right now, and what the FO will have to do to get under the cap next year will sort of guarantee that the Dallas team we see right now will be around for a while longer.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I won't bother going through all the numbers. Why? Because half of you are too ignorant to the cap to understand it (not being mean, its complicated and hard to understand)..

Seems like a very good reason for you to post the numbers then IMHO. If you have such a scholarly understanding of it please by all means school us.

I agree. I feel as though I understand the cap pretty well and by looking at the numbers I've seen, it certainly doesn't seem like "not a big deal". If you understand the numbers better than I do, Matts, and see something that would show it's "not a big deal", I'd like to see the breakdown.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas, for whatever reason and much to the dismay of most of us, does auto-built-in-restructures on nearly every deal. It's why no one ever gets our salary cap right until we publish it. There are a ton of hidden numbers no one sees.

We are over, just not by 31. We will be able to re-sign our players, just not high priced free agents. Which, while limiting, isn't the worse thing in the world from an owner who wants to spend. I am thankful we didn't land Scrabble, and this limits the amount of stars Jerry can see. Forcing Jerry to sit down when everyone else is racing to sign people is a good thing. Laughing

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Sportrac has us at 144. The cap last season was 123. Assuming it goes up ever a modest amount, we are looking at being 17-8m over. Add in the rookie pool and its ~23ish mil over.

Didn't Romo just sign an extension? What are those restructures going to look like so that you can get rid of ~$20 million in cap space?
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: