Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft - The end of an era

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft - The end of an era Reply with quote

Fairwell, It's been a good run
    HC Tom Coughlin & company
    DE Justin Tuck
    CB Corey Webster
    CB Aaron Ross
    OC David Baas
    OL David Deihl
    OG Chris Snee
    TE Brandon Myers
    WR Hakeem Nicks (Traded for a 3rd + 5th)

Welcome the new regime
    HC David Shaw / From Stanford / 41 years old / 28-5 record as HC

The Giants dip into the college ranks for their next head coach. I like the style of football he coaches. Tough in both trenches. Lots of heavy formations and running on offense, similar to what we see Harbaugh running with the 49ers. He'll prioritize the offensive line, and he would bring a 3-4 defense. Most of all, he'll bring some much needed youthful energy to the Giants organization.

Free Agents

With many old faces gone, and some contract restructuring I think the Giants will have money to play with in free agency. The new regime will want to bring in it's style of players, and that can't be accomplished only in the draft.
    OC Alex Mack / From Cleveland / 28 years old

The Giants have one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Only Pugh and Beatty should be back as starters. Like I mentioned earlier, after being neglected for many years, the offensive line must be a priority. We'll still be hurting from the Baas contract, but that shouldn't be a deterent from signing one of the best centers in the league.

OT Michael Oher / From Baltimore / 28 years old

Why do we need a tackle? Pugh has done well as a pass blocking RT. But, he's undersized and lacks the power desired for a power running scheme. I have him moving to left guard. After failed attempts to play LT because of some pass blocking issues, Oher is strictly a RT now. Because of that, he may be affordable in free agency, and would provide the Giants with some much needed beef up front.

TE Brandon Pettigrew / From Detriot / 28 years old

A big athlete who can block, similar to Bennett. In case you haven't noticed, there is a theme here. We need size and strength up front to establish a pressence at the point of attack. Some decent blocking, and we could finally see the true potential of David Wilson.

WR Jeremy Maclin / From Philadelphia / 25 years old

Don't worry, he'll be properly de-loused upon his arrival to New York. The Giants can't go into the season with only Cruz and Randle. Take a chance on Maclin coming off an ACL. Give him on of those "prove it" deals.

Draft

I expect the Giants to be picking in the top 5. Looking around the league, there is only one, maybe two teams that I think are worse than the Giants. Jacksonville and Tamp Bay are probably worse. The Giants might win a few games, but It's hard for me to imagine the Giants picking outside the top 5.

1. LB / Anthony Barr / 6'4" 248 / UCLA

I have the Giants moving to a 3-4, and the most important piece to the 3-4 is that dominant OLB. The Demarcus Ware type that is a terror off the edge. Barr is that type of player. He's blessed with great physical ability, plays hard, and to top it off, he still has plenty of untapped potential. As a side note, on the other side I'd like to see JPP. Get him down to 260 and hope he can regain some of that explosiveness and dominance we saw in 2011. If that happens, the Giants will be right back in the business of terrorizing QBs off the edges.

2. CB / Loucheiz Purifoy / 6'0' 190 / Florida

The Giants have one reliable corner - Prince. Everyone else is old/unreliable. The Giants will need somebody to start opposite of Prince, or else all the pressure in the world isn't going to improve this defense.

3. DT / Daniel McCullers / 6'6" 350 / Tennessee

The second most important piece to a 3-4 is the un-movable nose tackle. A guy that can clock up the middle and take up blockers just by leaving forward. A 6'6" 350 guy like McCullers fits the bill.

3. OG / David Yankey / 6'5" 314 / Stanford

The final piece of the Giants offensive line. Beatty / Pugh / Mack / Yankey / Oher. Oddly enough, he looks like he could be David Shaw's son.

4. WR / Devin Street / 6'3" 195 / Pittsburgh

We need some bodies at WR. I'd lose my mind if I saw Jernigan on this roster for another year.

5. OT / JaWuan James / 6'6" 318 / Tennessee

Offensive line depth. Whoever we have there now isn't cutting it since they're not starting despite the terrible play by our current starters.

5. RB / Carlos Hyde / 6'0" 235 / Ohio State

Big back with some power for depth.

6. WR / Jalen Saunders / 5'9" 160 / Oklahoma

Undersized, but fast and quick. Could provide something as a PR.

7. PK / Cairo Santos / 5'8" 160 / Tulane

I've been lobbying to draft a kicker for years. Josh Brown hasn't changed that.

Roster

QB : Eli Manning / Ryan Nassib
    RB : David Wilson / Andre Brown / Carlos Hyde / Michael Cox
    FB : Henry Hynoski
    WR : Victor Cruz / Rueben Randle / Jeremy Maclin / Devin Street / Jalen Saunders
    TE : Brandon Pettigrew / Adrien Robinson / Larry Donnell
    OT : Will Beatty / Michael Oher / James Brewer / Jawuan James
    OG : Justin Pugh / David Yankey / Brandon Mosely / Eric Herman
    OC : Alex Mack / Jim Cordle

OLB : Jason Pierre Paul / Anthony Barr / Damontre Moore / Mathias Kiwanuka
    ILB : Spencer Paysinger / Jon Beason / Dan Connor / Jacquian Williams
    DL : William Joseph / Jonathon Hankins / Cullen Jenkins / Daniel McCullers / Shaun Rogers
    CB : Prince Amukamara / Loucheiz Purifoy / Terrell Thomas / Jayron Hosely / Trumaine McBride
    S : Antrel Rolle / Stevie Brown / Will Hill / Ryan Mundy / Cooper Taylor

LS : Zach Deossie
    P : Steve Weatherford
    K : Cairo Santos

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need to spend big money on 2 OL. There is not a huge difference between a great OL and an average OL. That is huge money on THREE positions on the OL

I hope we do more to help the defense then draft a few rookies

And I am sure you mean Linval Joseph not William Joseph
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOB That's pretty close to one I was working on. Drafts abit different but I really like it. Mack and oher brilliant. Will hopefully turn out like Ohara and Mckenzie that I think we signed the same year or a year apart which worked out pretty well. Love the draft except McCullers. Pettigrew seems to be a typical giants TE. Only thing with shaw he might want receiving spread wideout TE. Nice work bro
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
We don't need to spend big money on 2 OL. There is not a huge difference between a great OL and an average OL. That is huge money on THREE positions on the OL

It wouldn't be any different than it is now, except the linemen would hopefully play up to their salary. Snee and Baas have been paid big bucks, but have played below average. Our line isn't even average. We can't run against 6 man fronts for crying out loud. It's pathetic. We haven't had a running game in years. And this year they can't even pass block. We need 3 new starters on that line IMO, and it's not going to happen unless we are willing to dish out some contract in free agency.

Well, I have Dan Connor and Stevie Brown coming back. Jon Beason looked pretty good last week as well. Improvements from JPP, Moore and Hankins should also be very beneficial for the defense. Hopefully the combination of those things improves the defense.

Nope, William Joseph. Dude is awesome. Laughing

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

Last edited by Gmen on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
SOB That's pretty close to one I was working on. Drafts abit different but I really like it. Mack and oher brilliant. Will hopefully turn out like Ohara and Mckenzie that I think we signed the same year or a year apart which worked out pretty well. Love the draft except McCullers. Pettigrew seems to be a typical giants TE. Only thing with shaw he might want receiving spread wideout TE. Nice work bro

Great minds thinks alike. Wink

bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:

Great minds thinks alike. Wink

The only difference I had was veldheer or oher, nicks over maclin and signing beason/angerer over mack.

And every one keeps placing JPP at olb in a 3-4, he's a big body and good against the run, wpuldnt he fit in as a 3-4 DE. I don't really know much about 3-4 d-lines to be honest. I'm only 5'10 180 pounds so I never had to worry about that lol

Oh! And damontre moore had his amazing college year as a 3-4 olb. So great fit for him ans barr...

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the reason I had veldheer, yankey, baas, pugh, beatty is because woth those four around baas, they can kinda pick up the slack for him. Plus saves us 3 million a year. Thats a lot in a salary cap

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Acgott wrote:

It wouldn't be any different than it is now, except the linemen would hopefully play up to their salary. Snee and Baas have been paid big bucks, but have played below average. Our line isn't even average. We can't run against 6 man fronts for crying out loud. It's pathetic. We haven't had a running game in years. And this year they can't even pass block. We need 3 new starters on that line IMO, and it's not going to happen unless we are willing to dish out some contract in free agency.

Well, I have Dan Connor and Stevie Brown coming back. Jon Beason looked pretty good last week as well. Improvements from JPP, Moore and Hankins should also be very beneficial for the defense. Hopefully the combination of those things improves the defense.

Nope, William Joseph. Dude is awesome. Laughing

Your right, our OL is definitely not average, its way below that. My point is I don't like using 20% of our salary cap on 3 players on the OL when the difference between a great OL and an average one is minimal

Regarding the defense I would have liked to sign an average DL or LB that has experience in a 3-4 to help our transition. Not a major player just a veteran for one or 2 years and not one with major injury concerns
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Still apprehensive about the 3-4, but this write up did get me excited on a cold Monday morning. Wink

Love the Stanford program, sincerely believe Shaw would make a great HC. I have fantasies about Gilbride and Fewell leaving. Coughlin I will always remember fondly, but he has mismanaged some games and looks like he has lost his sharpness and attention to detail. ie: accepting a penalty and giving the Eagles 3rd and 19 instead of 4th and 4.

I don't love letting Nicks go. But I do understand the fiscal responsibility associated with this move. Would love to see some overpaid players restructure and find a way to keep him around, but that might not be in the cards.

One thing I would like is to get rid of Wilson. I don't think he is going to do anything in this league. I want a physical RB who consistently picks up 3-4 yards on first down to set up our explosive passing attack. He has showed a lack of vision and propensity to dance behind the LOS. I know our OL is a mess, but a decisive runner could at least help keep our offense on schedule by falling forward and setting up 2nd & 3rd downs that are manageable. I don't care who it is to be quite honest. RBs are a dime a dozen, which is why I hate taking them early in the draft. I'd be content with Andre Brown and Michael Cox. As long as the OL gets fixed it shouldn't matter who is back there. If there is any value for Wilson I would take it and eat the loss of a 1st round pick 2years ago.

This season was a mess from the get go. I want to see wholesale changes. This mock delivered. Nice work.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
I love it. Still apprehensive about the 3-4, but this write up did get me excited on a cold Monday morning. Wink

Love the Stanford program, sincerely believe Shaw would make a great HC. I have fantasies about Gilbride and Fewell leaving. Coughlin I will always remember fondly, but he has mismanaged some games and looks like he has lost his sharpness and attention to detail. ie: accepting a penalty and giving the Eagles 3rd and 19 instead of 4th and 4.

I don't love letting Nicks go. But I do understand the fiscal responsibility associated with this move. Would love to see some overpaid players restructure and find a way to keep him around, but that might not be in the cards.

One thing I would like is to get rid of Wilson. I don't think he is going to do anything in this league. I want a physical RB who consistently picks up 3-4 yards on first down to set up our explosive passing attack. He has showed a lack of vision and propensity to dance behind the LOS. I know our OL is a mess, but a decisive runner could at least help keep our offense on schedule by falling forward and setting up 2nd & 3rd downs that are manageable. I don't care who it is to be quite honest. RBs are a dime a dozen, which is why I hate taking them early in the draft. I'd be content with Andre Brown and Michael Cox. As long as the OL gets fixed it shouldn't matter who is back there. If there is any value for Wilson I would take it and eat the loss of a 1st round pick 2years ago.

This season was a mess from the get go. I want to see wholesale changes. This mock delivered. Nice work.

I wouldn't get rid of Wilson. He still has value as a returner if he doesn't pan out at RB
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Please Cool

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: