Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jameel McClain Activated; Billy Bajema Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Jameel McClain Activated; Billy Bajema Released Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 3m
Harbaugh was non-commital about Jameel McClain's status. Roster decision has to be made by 4 p.m. tomorrow.

I'm interested to see where this is going. To be honest I'm hoping he gets put on injured reserve because if he's able to play I have no doubt Pees would try to get him on the field which would cut into the snaps of both Brown and Bynes. No good can come from that.

EDIT:

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 9m
#Ravens have activated LB Jameel McClain to the active 53-man roster. Cut TE Billy Bajema.

Last edited by coordinator0 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, He's better than Bynes already, but we don't know if he's better than Brown.

I say activate him, but start Brown and play McClain on ST and then see what Brown's got. Brown has the most upside of any of our ILB's and he's the most athletic, but Jameel is the most well-rounded outside of Daryl Smith.

He can only help this team.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by well-rounded you mean can play somewhat competently in the box but is below-average everywhere else then I agree. I actually think Jameel is probably the worst run-defender out of the inside linebackers Baltimore has had the past few years. It's hard to tell what Brown can do in that facet but he's not out there to play that role. You can't say that about McClain.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd agree that he's already better than Bynes. They're pretty similar players in many respects in that they both get playing time because they play disciplined, play hard, and know their assignments. They're both better in the run-game then they are either shooting the gap as pass rushers or dropping back in coverage. Only difference between them to me is that Bynes is a better athlete (and that's comparing him to McClain pre-injury, not whatever shape he's in having not played football in about a year), and McClain is the better leader and possesses strong intangibles, depending on how much you want to weigh that.

Given he was only cleared to play contact football very recently I just have a hard time believing he's in any sort of shape to contribute. I think IR is the best place for him.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I have a clouded memory of what McClain was then, but from watching Bynes this year, he's not impressed me at all.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't McClellan out injured? If so then with both him and Byrnes out that leaves no back up so McClain is nice cover especially since he knows the defense. To me this seems like a great opportunity to see what brown has to offer and hopefully he shines
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Arthur Brown step in and make that spot alongside Smith his own. Especially with Heath Miller being one of Big Ben's favourite weapons, and the Ravens being so sucky at defending passes over the middle.

Brown will be better at that than either Bynes or McClain, and he's also got so much more upside than either of those two that it's ridiculous.

As for McClain himself, I seem to remember him being very disappointing last year, prior to his injury. The talk was that he was resting on his laurels after getting the big contract, and that did seem to be borne out through the way he played. But it's possible that this injury was hindering him, even then.

If he's not able to perform to the standards he needs to, then I wonder if we'll see him replaced with the other McClain that the Ravens hold the player rights to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I want to see Arthur Brown step in and make that spot alongside Smith his own. Especially with Heath Miller being one of Big Ben's favourite weapons, and the Ravens being so sucky at defending passes over the middle.

Brown will be better at that than either Bynes or McClain, and he's also got so much more upside than either of those two that it's ridiculous.

As for McClain himself, I seem to remember him being very disappointing last year, prior to his injury. The talk was that he was resting on his laurels after getting the big contract, and that did seem to be borne out through the way he played. But it's possible that this injury was hindering him, even then.

If he's not able to perform to the standards he needs to, then I wonder if we'll see him replaced with the other McClain that the Ravens hold the player rights to.

Nah, when McClain suffered the spinal contusion he was out immediately. I don't know if there was anything else bothering him but to be honest his play didn't seem any less impressive than usual.
Nucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Just got a text from the Ravens. Cool

McClain has been activated and.......yup you guessed it

Billy Bajema was waived..
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised it wasn't Stokley again since it sounds like he's not playing tomorrow anyways.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I'm kind of surprised it wasn't Stokley again since it sounds like he's not playing tomorrow anyways.

Bajema was awful in the last game though, dropped one ball, perhaps two. Whiffed on blocks. So it makes sense.

That said, Bajema will probably be back at some point... and he's a guy you can trust to stick around and wait for a phone call. Because let's be honest, who else is going to give him a call. His only other coaching connection in the league was Cam Cameron... and Cameron went to LSU.

So we're probably his only suitors.

In terms of McClain, good. I thought Bynes might upgrade what McClain gave us. But to this point Bynes was not looking good. He looked almost exactly like McClain... only he was worse at taking on blocks. Which effectively made him not stout enough to be a thumper, yet not athletic or skilled enough to be the main backer.

I'm not sure that Arthur Brown and Daryl Smith's skillsets will align properly, as neither are thumper types, but I say give it a shot. McClain will likely get the start because that's how Harbaugh operates, but he hasn't played meaningful football in months.

This seems like the perfect opportunity to get Brown's feet wet. Give Smith the Mike'd helmet for defensive calls. And allow Brown to fly around out there and make plays. If he makes mistakes, he'll have a bye week to focus on correcting those mistakes and allow him to be more effective coming off the bye and facing a pivotal stretch in our schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Bajema was awful in the last game though, dropped one ball, perhaps two. Whiffed on blocks. So it makes sense.

Well, yeah, it's Billy Bajema. That's pretty much the standard. Maybe the coaches are thinking they're better off just going with a lineman as their blocking tight end. With as little as Bajema brings to the passing game that line of thinking would probably be right too.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Well, yeah, it's Billy Bajema. That's pretty much the standard. Maybe the coaches are thinking they're better off just going with a lineman as their blocking tight end. With as little as Bajema brings to the passing game that line of thinking would probably be right too.

I also seem to recall Ricky Wagner having played TE at some point early in his Wisconsin career (though I'm not certain). So I have to imagine his hands couldn't be much worse than Bajema's... he's a better blocker and could potentially catch the defense completely off guard if he released on a route.

That and we've got Juszczyk still trying to break into the offense- he could steal some of Bajema's limited pass catching opportunities.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE RELEASED BAJEMA!?!

I am shocked!

BlaqOptic wrote:
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

I also seem to recall Ricky Wagner having played TE at some point early in his Wisconsin career (though I'm not certain). So I have to imagine his hands couldn't be much worse than Bajema's... he's a better blocker and could potentially catch the defense completely off guard if he released on a route.

That and we've got Juszczyk still trying to break into the offense- he could steal some of Bajema's limited pass catching opportunities.

I've been getting my hopes up for that. One day man, one day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: