Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Salary Cap Upcoming Decisions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Salary Cap Upcoming Decisions Reply with quote

Just to pay attention to the really big white elephant in the room - and what I think is the big reason why we're hamstrung competing in the NFC West - poor management of the salary cap:

We just played a team that has a QB playing at a very high level - and that QB is set to make less than a million dollars a year on a rookie contract for the next 3 years. The blue-print is clearly there - the niners have done this as well - you have to be good at finding players in the draft and free agency. Beyond that, it pays to plan ahead by front loading contracts (see Joe Staley) during building years - then you've got more money to go out and get those players that can put you over the top in the peak years.

So in my view we've been doing the opposite of front loading - instead we have put off significant contract obligations to the point that we are behind the 8 ball every off-season. However - I can see us getting out of this pattern after next season (2015 off-season) - taking a few critical moves:

Fitz needs to either restructure his contract or he and the Cards need to part ways (don't like writing this - but his contract is a problem - 8M in dead money vs. a 21.25M in cap hit).

Daryn Colledge should be gone (should be gone after this season IMO) - at 7.25M / year this was a terrible value (2.275M in dead money).

Darnell Dockett needs to be re-evaluated since he could be declining at that time with age (dead money would be 3M vs. 9.8 M cap hit)

If you have any concerns about this strategy I suggest you take a look at the Raiders - who are swallowing a ridiculous amount of dead money this year in order to get their fiscal house in order. They will be much better off in the long run because of what they've done this season.

After getting all of this money - why not pay a guy like PP21 more up front on his next contract to ensure we have extra down the road when we have actually shown some promise of being a legitimate contender? He's going to collect a ton of guaranteed money no matter what - so it's not like you're taking a ton of risk.

Obviously this doesn't get us a QB (or even an LT) - still gotta make good draft and free agency decisions - no getting away from that...
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keim has shown he is not afraid to make what might look like unpopular moves. Fitz needs to restructure. The other two I can see being cut especially Colledge with Fanaika Cooper and Watford already on the squad. Filling Dockett's spot would require a new acquisition. Makes apollo's mock drafting of Wil Sutton the perfect replacement.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing here is this;

Palmer, Washington, Fitzgerald and Campbell add $20M to out salary cap in 2014, due to escalations in their contract.

Those increases are going to require us to make moves to fit them in. We can move salary to bonus with Fitz, but that is really just delaying the hurt.

There are going to be moves made. It is going to put a lot of stress on a guy like Keim who is not in his element with contracts and money. He is a player evaluator at heart.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
The biggest thing here is this;

Palmer, Washington, Fitzgerald and Campbell add $20M to out salary cap in 2014, due to escalations in their contract.

Those increases are going to require us to make moves to fit them in. We can move salary to bonus with Fitz, but that is really just delaying the hurt.

There are going to be moves made. It is going to put a lot of stress on a guy like Keim who is not in his element with contracts and money. He is a player evaluator at heart.

Yeah - next year there is very little room - I just hope they don't end up messing up 2015 and later doing whatever maneuvering they're going to do to make 2014 work.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
Keim has shown he is not afraid to make what might look like unpopular moves. Fitz needs to restructure. The other two I can see being cut especially Colledge with Fanaika Cooper and Watford already on the squad. Filling Dockett's spot would require a new acquisition. Makes apollo's mock drafting of Wil Sutton the perfect replacement.

Definitely we need that other guard position opposite Coop to pan out for a reasonable amount of money. Coop will eventually cost quite a bit - and we'll have to have an LT. I agree on Sutton if the draft position is good - which it should be given his performance this year (hopefully a result of scheming and perhaps too much weight).
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the contributions we are getting from cheap 1 year pickups (Ta'Amu, Shaughnessy, Dansby) should help a lot as long as we can get them signed to extensions sooner rather than later, especially those 3 guys.

Also is Roberts a FA this offseason? If so, I don't think he gets a new contract from us. He's kinda in the same boat Breaston was in. We have too many other problems on offense to pay lots of money to a 3rd WR.

As for the guard opposite Cooper, I really hope Watford comes through. Fanaika as a low ceiling IMO, Watford does not.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
I think the contributions we are getting from cheap 1 year pickups (Ta'Amu, Shaughnessy, Dansby) should help a lot as long as we can get them signed to extensions sooner rather than later, especially those 3 guys.

Also is Roberts a FA this offseason? If so, I don't think he gets a new contract from us. He's kinda in the same boat Breaston was in. We have too many other problems on offense to pay lots of money to a 3rd WR.

As for the guard opposite Cooper, I really hope Watford comes through. Fanaika as a low ceiling IMO, Watford does not.

Roberts is a UFA this off-season - I'd like to keep him at the right price because he is quick and we're lacking that with the other bigger receivers (and in general we don't have great receiver depth). I really don't understand how he has disappeared after that first game and how he looked in recent seasons.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberts is gone, deal with it now, makes it easier

We have WAY too much cash tied up in WR position already.

Dockett leads the team in sacks atm, he will extend for less money, one team man.

Colledge is toast, overpaid, under performing, makes G a position in draft again next year.

I think Palmer is gone too, we obviously go QB some stage first 3 rounds next year, Palmer makes it to camp and then restructures or takes extended holiday.

It can be done, some definite pain to be had.

Legacy of bad decisions, cannot fix everything in one year.

Trading Fitz might have to be considered....
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stars making big $$ I can deal with but it's overpaying journeyman like Snyder and Colledge that put us in a bad spot. Hopefully Colledge + Palmer are released saving almost 7M. I think cutting Dockett makes more sense after next season.

According to overthecap we're about 6m under the cap this year so maybe some of that can carry over to 2014? (DJ/Khodder??).

The Rebuild Has Begun...
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
The stars making big $$ I can deal with but it's overpaying journeyman like Snyder and Colledge that put us in a bad spot. Hopefully Colledge + Palmer are released saving almost 7M. I think cutting Dockett makes more sense after next season.

According to overthecap we're about 6m under the cap this year so maybe some of that can carry over to 2014? (DJ/Khodder??).

Rollover use now up to Keim really

Was reported that we didn't carry over 2012 excess but then in may it was reported that we did, so I'm going wih later here, maybe Keim decision

From what i can find we have 17 or 18 mil in dead money atm and 6 or 7 to spend/rollover currently

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/cap-hit/
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cardinals&Year=2013

Getting rid of Palmer and Colledge and restructuring Fitz and Darnell and we are ok, or just doing the first 2

However both mean no FA spending of any note at least for one more year, but includes CC's deal, DW deal and room for PP to get paid too, so not total doom and gloom

We need to sign cheap role players and draft well for this team to get better quick, 2015 we could be players in market if we wanted to be

It depends on Bidwell's pockets as the difference is between cash and paper, paper we are stuffed a little, cash spending will hel a little but still pain to be had here, graves and whiz put us here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: