You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville (Senior)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville (Senior) Reply with quote

Louisville Cardinal senior defensive end Marcus Smith seems like a solid middle round pick as developmental 3-4 pass rushing outside linebacker. It is interesting that he came to Louisville as a quarterback but made a pretty solid transition to defensive end and has made an impact as a pass rusher. With his relative lack of experience having only played on the defensive side of the ball until college, I would think he probably still has some room to develop further. He could be a decent developmental prospect and special teamer. Thoughts?

Marcus Smith
College : Louisville Cardinal
Class : Senior
Height : 6'-3"
Weight : 252 lbs.
40 yard dash : 4.72 (estimated)

Marcus Smith Official Louisville Cardinal Bio

Quote:
2013 Statistics (through 6 games)
Solo tackles : 17
Assisted tackles : 3
Total tackles : 20
Tackles for loss : 9
Tackles for loss yardage : 54
Sacks : 6
Sack loss yardage : 49
QB hurries : 3
Forced fumbles : 1
Kicks/Punts blocked : 1

Quote:
2012 Statistics (13 games played)
Solo tackles : 16
Assisted tackles : 13
Total tackles : 29
Tackles for loss : 7
Tackles for loss yardage : 35
Sacks : 4
Sack loss yardage : 29
Passes broken up : 2
QB hurries : 2
Forced fumbles : 2
Interception : 1
Interception return yardage : 0

Quote:
2011 Statistics (10 games played)
Solo tackles : 9
Assisted tackles : 3
Total tackles : 12
Tackles for loss : 6.5
Tackles for loss yardage : 46
Sacks : 5.5
Sack loss yardage : 41
Passes broken up : 1
Forced fumbles : 2

Quote:
10/07/13 - WEEK 6 AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE WEEKLY HONOR ROLL: Marcus Smith, Sr., DE, Louisville, Columbus, Ga.,...Had five tackles, including three tackles for loss, with a sack, a fumble recovery and a blocked field goal attempt in a 30-7 win at Temple. - American Athletic football

08/11/13 - TOP LOUISVILLE PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 5. DE Marcus Smith (6-3, 252, 4.77)...A former quarterback and then linebacker, Smith made the move to defensive end in 2011 and posted a team-leading 5.5 sacks that year, followed by a junior campaign in '12 where he racked up another four, and led the team with seven tackles for loss. He's proven to be versatile in the process, rushing as a stand-up linebacker, a down defensive end, and even from the interior D-line in nickel situations. His first step off the snap is explosive, and he does a good job of getting his arms extended to create space. He possesses surprising drive-power on contact, often pushing back far bigger opponents, and collapsing the pocket with a bull rush.
Off the edge, while he lacks a repertoire of moves to routinely clear the corner, his speed and natural explosiveness are apparent and should continue to provide him opportunities to disrupt. While he's known mostly for his pass-rush, he's surprisingly instinctive against the run as well and has shown a knack for penetrating and bottling the runner. Smith is raw and still relatively new to the defensive side of the football, and could certainly draw interest from NFL teams in need of versatile situational edge-rushers, if he can continue to show improvement. - Derek Stephens, NFLDraftScout.com

Quote:
Marcus Smith came to the University of Louisville as a quarterback. Now he’s a quarterback’s nightmare.

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound senior defensive end from Columbus, Ga., has been a force on a defense that is doing just about everything right, helping the Cardinals (6-0, 2-0 American Athletic Conference) lead the FBS in fewest points allowed and rank second in fewest yards allowed.

With his quickness and power off the edge, Smith spearheaded the pass-rushing havoc the Cards wreaked on Rutgers during a 24-10 victory last Thursday, recording three of the team’s eight sacks, plus two more tackles.

Smith said his big start to the season has come because he’s finally an expert on U of L’s defensive system. He now reacts without hesitation.

“I move around a lot, and a lot of offenses can’t pick me up,” he said. “Sometimes I rush in the middle. Sometimes I rush outside. Sometimes I drop into coverage. It makes offenses wonder.”

His maturation as a defensive player after being a three-star quarterback prospect at Hardaway High School has been a key to the Cards’ surge to defensive prominence. He and roommate Lorenzo Mauldin, who’s tied for third nationally with 6½ sacks, have been one of college football’s most effective pairs of defensive ends this season.

Smith, who passed for 1,800 yards and 14 touchdown as a high school senior, said he was recruited as a general “athlete” and knew he might change positions once he got to college, but he was given an initial chance to play quarterback at U of L.

He played that spot for about a week in 2010 before the coaches determined he would be better served on the other side of the ball.

“I loved to play that position, but I wanted to do whatever helped the team,” he said.

Smith was moved to linebacker as a freshman, appearing in nine games on defense and special teams. He was about 217 pounds when he arrived at U of L, and as he gained weight, the coaches kept moving him closer to the line of scrimmage.

As a sophomore he made 12 tackles, including 5½ sacks, and was a part-time starter at end. He started all 13 games last year, recording four sacks and 29 total tackles.

Smith’s old days at quarterback are helping him now. He said he understands “quarterback tendencies” and can pick up patterns on snap counts and other motions.

Now that he’s settled in at defensive end, Smith could have a future beyond college. About 30 NFL scouts and executives were at the Rutgers-U of L game, so Smith picked a great night to have a great game.

“I feel like I could go to the NFL,” he said. “I try not to worry about that right now. I just want to focus on UCF and the rest of the games we have this season. Afterwards, if the NFL presents itself, that’s what I’ll do.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20131015/SPORTS02/310150093/1028/SPORTS/Former-quarterback-Marcus-Smith-thriving-defensive-end-Louisville-football-team?nclick_check=1

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be a good value for someone, he is a really good natural pass rusher, but not as good vs. the run though
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB to OLB? Strange transition...

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latter half of the 1st round on my board at this point. Anywhere from picks 20-32. In reality, I think he goes mid to late 2nd round. He's very impressive, only weakness would be lack of raw strength but again he is still physically developing due to the position switch IMO.

Otherwise the guy has a very nice package for a versatile, stand up pass rusher.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So under rated. Especially in a draft lacking elite pass rushing talents. After Barr and Mack, he is the best 3-4 OLB pass rusher in this draft IMO.

I even think he could hold up as a weakside 4-3 DE. He reminds me of Shaun Phillips/Brian Robinson. I would love the Broncos to take a look at him in the 2nd as a replacement for Elvis Dumervil on the weakside. I think he has 10 sack a year potential.

Although I think he will skyrocket up draft boards, I continue to mock him in the 3rd. I think he is a high 2nd round talent though. If he was 6'5 265 instead of 6'3 255, he would not fly under the radar like this and likely be considered a top 15 talent. Crazy how much measurables can matter.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Latter half of the 1st round on my board at this point. Anywhere from picks 20-32. In reality, I think he goes mid to late 2nd round. He's very impressive, only weakness would be lack of raw strength but again he is still physically developing due to the position switch IMO.

Otherwise the guy has a very nice package for a versatile, stand up pass rusher.

Yeah, he's not gonna go in the middle rounds when the draft process is through. Skill-set says first rounder.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
So under rated. Especially in a draft lacking elite pass rushing talents. After Barr and Mack, he is the best 3-4 OLB pass rusher in this draft IMO.

I even think he could hold up as a weakside 4-3 DE. He reminds me of Shaun Phillips/Brian Robinson. I would love the Broncos to take a look at him in the 2nd as a replacement for Elvis Dumervil on the weakside. I think he has 10 sack a year potential.

Although I think he will skyrocket up draft boards, I continue to mock him in the 3rd. I think he is a high 2nd round talent though. If he was 6'5 265 instead of 6'3 255, he would not fly under the radar like this and likely be considered a top 15 talent. Crazy how much measurables can matter.

Robison was a smaller guy but when he went to the combine he blew it up. I can see Smith having similar success there and getting himself on the map.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backed up some of his FF supporters (goldfishwars, duffman, broncosfan, myself, any others?) with a stellar bowl game.

He really put his skill set on display out there. Quickness, closing speed, lateral movement, field awareness, instincts/snap judgment, and relentless motor.
CHOMP_CHOMP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Backed up some of his FF supporters (goldfishwars, duffman, broncosfan, myself, any others?) with a stellar bowl game.

He really put his skill set on display out there. Quickness, closing speed, lateral movement, field awareness, instincts/snap judgment, and relentless motor.

He really does look the part. I was admittedly late to this kid. Most of my Louisville looks have been for Teddy and Parker. When this thread got bumped by you, I decided to go watch some tape and just focus on him.

Man he just really stands out as a pass rusher. I am going to call it now and say he is top 5 in 10 yard split. He is a guided missile coming off the edge, and his lateral quickness is above average for a player his size. He plays so fast, yet in complete control.

Good call man. Definitely looks the part, New Orleans could be a landing spot in the 1st if Beasley doesn't fall. He is going to shine in shorts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHOMP_CHOMP wrote:
jshowers wrote:

He really does look the part. I was admittedly late to this kid. Most of my Louisville looks have been for Teddy and Parker. When this thread got bumped by you, I decided to go watch some tape and just focus on him.

Man he just really stands out as a pass rusher. I am going to call it now and say he is top 5 in 10 yard split. He is a guided missile coming off the edge, and his lateral quickness is above average for a player his size. He plays so fast, yet in complete control.

Good call man. Definitely looks the part, New Orleans could be a landing spot in the 1st if Beasley doesn't fall. He is going to shine in shorts.

I like how you emphasize that he plays fast but in control. His awareness combined with lateral movement ability contributes to that. I didn't see him overrun too many plays by shooting too far upfield.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

Both me and LBC really like the guy.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah
@MoveTheSticks
@RumfordJohnny I've talked to 2 GM's in the last week that swear Smith will be gone by pick 35
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah
@MoveTheSticks
@RumfordJohnny I've talked to 2 GM's in the last week that swear Smith will be gone by pick 35

He and Demarcus Lawrence are guys who will go earlier than anticipated. I think they're arguably as good, or better prospects than Anthony Barr.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
jshowers wrote:

Yeah, he's not gonna go in the middle rounds when the draft process is through. Skill-set says first rounder.

Yeah. There's too much need, not enough supply of athletic pass rushers like Marcus Smith. I really won't be surprised if he goes in the 1st round.
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colts have met w/ him 3 times so far.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: