Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Powers: Vikings should trade Adrian Peterson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a bottom 8 1st round pick for him, and thats about it.

Factor in salary, age, history

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we could get value this team would be unwatchable without Peterson so I'd rather keep him.
since72

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smart thing to do if you're the GM looking to build a good team is to trade away the Pro Bowlers that are in the downside of their careers but could still fetch some good value.

Unfortunately, Zygi can't send Jared, Kevin and AD packing and then go around asking for thousands of dollars from season ticket holders for PSL's. It ain't gonna fly. At least Pohlad waited until they built the thing until he started dumping salaries.

It's a mess - compounded with injuries on a team with no depth.

I don't see an easy answer. Crying or Very sad
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go full-out downfall if the Vikings traded Peterson. We made the mistake with Moss, and while I liked Randy, Adrian is better than Moss ever was.
the_cote_kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth serious consideration.

Without a good QB it feels a little masochistic enjoying watching AD running (massively by the way) while knowing it's ultimately fruitless.

The main thing to consider is how much value can we really get for trading him? It feels like anything less than 2 firsts for the best player at his position would be hard to swallow. A first on it's own is likely to be a mid to late one which might not yield much in a draft.
He's 28, he has another couple of absolutely dominating years left in him. The worry for trade partners is once he wears down he has nothing else, he isn't much use as a pass-catcher.

It is also worth considering our confidence in drafting our way to success. The majority seem to like Spielman's recent record, myself included, but if we completely whiff on a first round pick we got from AD then it will be hard to recover.

It's been mentioned that Adrian is the face of the franchise, and trading him will hurt us. That may be true to some extent but lets look at where we are realistically, having him has only helped us beat the equally struggling Steelers. We may well beat the 0-6 Giants too but what else does that prove?

As a non-native fan i think i identify with AD even more than locals but even so, i think we owe it to ourselves and him to explore other options.
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
I'd probably go full-out downfall if the Vikings traded Peterson. We made the mistake with Moss, and while I liked Randy, Adrian is better than Moss ever was.

Woah there, easy..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmichaelp wrote:
Sector7G wrote:

Woah there, easy..

It was meant as a joke. Very Happy But yeah, I'd be pretty unhappy.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Allen: "Not a smart move"

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Jared-on-Trading-AP-Not-A-Smart-Move/6cef9e51-e3bd-4efa-9dee-e788b5eedc64
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson fetches at minimum a first and second. I guarantee GM's value him a lot higher than this forum does. He's twice the player Harvin is and he got us a 1st and 3rd.
Deets

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its bad from a money standpoint. Right now Peterson is the only reason to buy tickets.

FF Member #67
SodakViking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson is worth way more to the Vikings than he will ever be to another team. If they traded Peterson, i would die inside.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
Its bad from a money standpoint. Right now Peterson is the only reason to buy tickets.

That was the theory when Moss was traded, however, MN didnt have much issue selling out games and they eventually drafted Peterson. Interest may dip, but you also have to remember, the next two seasons, the Vikes will be playing in a smaller stadium (Gophers stadium), and they will eventually play in the new stadium. The new stadium itself will draw a lot of fans the first few years anyway. it would actually be good timing to unload Peterson if youre concerned with ticket sales.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Peterson fetches at minimum a first and second. I guarantee GM's value him a lot higher than this forum does. He's twice the player Harvin is and he got us a 1st and 3rd.

Harvin is younger and not a running back. Peterson might fetch a similar return but it wouldn't be more.
UpperDecker30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to play devil's advocate some more, I have a thought for those saying that it won't be good for the new stadium. The team will have 3 offseasons to rebuild this team and find a new face of the franchise before the new stadium opens up, so it is very possible that the fanbase could be back on board again by then. Also, Peterson will be 31, closing in on 32, when the new stadium opens Shocked

Again, I am absolutely not advocating this, but it is interesting to think about nonetheless.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

Harvin is younger and not a running back. Peterson might fetch a similar return but it wouldn't be more.

Wr's are dime a dozen. Peterson is an elite talent that the NFL may not see for another 10 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: